Possible Security Threat

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had just went on to event viewer and seen the critical error was kernel power if that helps. When I searched that up it sound it could be to do with duplicate sound and video game controllers. I have two high definition audio devices as well as an NVIDIA virtual audio device in there. Could this be causing the problem?
kernel power isn't an issue, it's a result of a reboot, just means the OS restarted without warning.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I’ve finally got the file loaded on. When I’m sharing should allow editing be ticked on the .dmp link so you guys can access it?
Ensure that 'anyone with the link' can access the file (ie. we don't need to apply to you to be invited to access the file) then just post the link on here.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Think that should be it, was only a minidump that I could find
Got it thanks.

That's a mindump rather than a kernel dump - they don't contain all the kernel data areas and structures - if the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp exists please upload that.

The BSOD is a classic driver error, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M - which means that the kernel caught an exception from which it couldn't recover. The exception code is 0xc0000005 which is a memory access violation, that doesn't mean your RAM is bad it's almost certainly because a driver tried to access memory that was invalid (hadn't been properly allocated, was paged out, or the driver supplied a garbage memory pointer).

Sadly it's not possible to confirm which driver that is from this minidump - the data is just not there. However, from the stack trace for the active thread I can see that the dxgkrnl function was being called, that's a DirectX driver, but they are called by the graphics driver and that's the most likely cause of this BSOD.

If you haven't already download and install DDU and use that to remove the existing graphics driver(s) - the system will reboot - then download an install the latest driver for your card from the manufacturer's website.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Got it thanks.

That's a mindump rather than a kernel dump - they don't contain all the kernel data areas and structures - if the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp exists please upload that.

The BSOD is a classic driver error, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M - which means that the kernel caught an exception from which it couldn't recover. The exception code is 0xc0000005 which is a memory access violation, that doesn't mean your RAM is bad it's almost certainly because a driver tried to access memory that was invalid (hadn't been properly allocated, was paged out, or the driver supplied a garbage memory pointer).

Sadly it's not possible to confirm which driver that is from this minidump - the data is just not there. However, from the stack trace for the active thread I can see that the dxgkrnl function was being called, that's a DirectX driver, but they are called by the graphics driver and that's the most likely cause of this BSOD.

If you haven't already download and install DDU and use that to remove the existing graphics driver(s) - the system will reboot - then download an install the latest driver for your card from the manufacturer's website.
I’m really not that great with the technology side of things. If I use the DDU can I redownload the new drivers from GeForce experience. I’d be worried incase I don’t do it correctly and mess up the system completely. Is there any other ways of reinstall the graphics card or only through DDU?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I’m really not that great with the technology side of things. If I use the DDU can I redownload the new drivers from GeForce experience. I’d be worried incase I don’t do it correctly and mess up the system completely. Is there any other ways of reinstall the graphics card or only through DDU?
DDU is the very best tool to ensure all traces of previous graphics drivers are gone.

I would not use GeForce experience, download the driver from the website and install it manually.

DO NOT install the Nvidia audio feature (assuming it's an Nvidia card), that has caused problems for others.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Geforce Experience likely won't exist after using DDU so, as suggested, best to have the latest drivers for your card to hand.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Geforce Experience likely won't exist after using DDU so, as suggested, best to have the latest drivers for your card to hand.
I had just looked through videos on how to do the install. From the DDU page given my specs would I just select GPU and NVIDIA. Would I also be better having the new graphics card already downloaded before removing the old as it says you have to go offline.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
DDU is the very best tool to ensure all traces of previous graphics drivers are gone.

I would not use GeForce experience, download the driver from the website and install it manually.

DO NOT install the Nvidia audio feature (assuming it's an Nvidia card), that has caused problems for others.
Okay so I have went through DDU and uninstalled and then reinstalled the graphics card and unticked the Audio driver as you had suggested. Should that hopefully be me all good or is there anything else that should be checked?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Okay so I have went through DDU and uninstalled and then reinstalled the graphics card and unticked the Audio driver as you had suggested. Should that hopefully be me all good or is there anything else that should be checked?
Let's see how it goes. If it BSODs again check for a kernel dump (in C:\Windows\Memory.dmp) failing that any more minidumps you have. :)

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Let's see how it goes. If it BSODs again check for a kernel dump (in C:\Windows\Memory.dmp) failing that any more minidumps you have. :)
Would you have any idea why it would have happened in the first place? It had been completely fine and touch wood it’s only been the one blue screen. Just something missed on the original install possibly?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Would you have any idea why it would have happened in the first place? It had been completely fine and touch wood it’s only been the one blue screen. Just something missed on the original install possibly?
Did you include the Nvidia audio feature in the first install?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
No I left it out as I think someone else had said to me about it. I did however download the last one from GeForce which I have seen from a few sites can cause a few issues do you think that could be the case here?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No I left it out as I think someone else had said to me about it. I did however download the last one from GeForce which I have seen from a few sites can cause a few issues do you think that could be the case here?
Could be. Let's see how things go now. :)