Possible Security Threat

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
No problem thank you. The CPU still seems to be at 50% when I go on to task manager then drops down to 2%, there are no updates currently going on so is this something I should be looking in to or disabling?
The reason for that is you're seeing the CPU cycles that were used to start Task Manager. The CPU drops later because its now started and using much less CPU. :)

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Thanks everyone for your help the PC is back up and running and no crashes so far. Just a question though I have when I was looking through security on my device. Under device security there a message saying standard hardware security not supported. Is this something I should be looking in to correcting?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks everyone for your help the PC is back up and running and no crashes so far. Just a question though I have when I was looking through security on my device. Under device security there a message saying standard hardware security not supported. Is this something I should be looking in to correcting?
No, that’s regarding a TPM chip which is a modular addon for an enterprise to aid with hardware encryption.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
No worries thank you. I also tried downloading GeForce experience and to sign in I got an email from NVIDIA as I had to reset my password. I clicked the link but it came up with a page saying even I can’t find this. The address is [email protected] would anyone be able to tell if this is legit as I’ve become a bit paranoid over the last security breach

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No worries thank you. I also tried downloading GeForce experience and to sign in I got an email from NVIDIA as I had to reset my password. I clicked the link but it came up with a page saying even I can’t find this. The address is [email protected] would anyone be able to tell if this is legit as I’ve become a bit paranoid over the last security breach
What anti virus are you using?

What web browser?

Are you on BT?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
I’m with sky. I actually did the password reset on my phone rather than the PC. I’m using the windows antivirus software as that’s what someone recommended me to use on here before

Gavras

Master Poster
if in any sort of doubt just delete it.

unless expecting something, it usually means it’s phishing

If you have Experience Downloaded click on forgot password.

Alternatively just create a new account.

Also make sure you are setting up 2FA.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
if in any sort of doubt just delete it.

unless expecting something, it usually means it’s phishing

If you have Experience Downloaded click on forgot password.

Alternatively just create a new account.

Also make sure you are setting up 2FA.
I had filled in the forgot password link and put in my email address which then sent me the email. That’s the address I put my details into before I got the email https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/account/forgot-password/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had filled in the forgot password link and put in my email address which then sent me the email. That’s the address I put my details into before I got the email https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/account/forgot-password/
That's legit.

It's likely your DNS blocking the site, if you're on BT, they have a really terribly outdated DNS and it blocks a lot of sites. Recommended never to use their DNS and use googles or Cloudflares instead.

If you're using a VPN or something (some browsers or AV's come with them included) they again can block normal sites.

And yes, always set up 2fa.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
That's legit.

It's likely your DNS blocking the site, if you're on BT, they have a really terribly outdated DNS and it blocks a lot of sites. Recommended never to use their DNS and use googles or Cloudflares instead.

If you're using a VPN or something (some browsers or AV's come with them included) they again can block normal sites.

And yes, always set up 2fa.
yeah I wasn’t too sure which is why I accessed it on my phone. I was going to just remove GeForce experience anyway and download the updates from the site. Something I found a bit odd though when I tried uninstalling GeForce experience is it asked windows host process rundll32 wants to make changes to your device I can’t recall ever coming across that before

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yeah I wasn’t too sure which is why I accessed it on my phone. I was going to just remove GeForce experience anyway and download the updates from the site. Something I found a bit odd though when I tried uninstalling GeForce experience is it asked windows host process rundll32 wants to make changes to your device I can’t recall ever coming across that before
That’s likely controlled folder access kicking in, it’s a security feature of windows defender to prevent crypto viruses. You just allow it to continue if it’s an action you’ve started.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
That’s likely controlled folder access kicking in, it’s a security feature of windows defender to prevent crypto viruses. You just allow it to continue if it’s an action you’ve started.
Cheers, I had read a few things that made me think it might have been a file error but if it’s all good happy days. Would you say downloading the drivers from the website would be the more highly recommend way of updating rather than getting experience itself?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers, I had read a few things that made me think it might have been a file error but if it’s all good happy days. Would you say downloading the drivers from the website would be the more highly recommend way of updating rather than getting experience itself?
I use experience myself, it's a lot more convenient. Always do a custom install when updating, helps avoid issues with gpu drivers.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
I use experience myself, it's a lot more convenient. Always do a custom install when updating, helps avoid issues with gpu drivers.
I had it previously like yourself for the convenience. I used to do the express download. Is that what you guys are recommending against doing?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Yes custom install and tick the clean install box.

I only install physixs engine and driver, untick audio drivers.
I’ll do that going forward thanks. Would you guys recommend I install any additional antivirus or is windows now capable on its own?

Bhuna50

Author Level
Let me know your password and I'll log in for you and change it ;) ;) :D :D :D LOL

Should not click on any links in any emails unless you know you have instigated the password change - so in this case it should be ok.