Postage costs for returns

jwc

Bronze Level Poster
Hi I need to post my desktop back to replace the hard drive which is faulty as my 12 months warranty is up I need to pay the postage costs.

I have to scales or anyway of weighing the box before collection so will have to guess the weight. I have the original box it was delivered in. Quotes so far are around the £50 mark mainly due to the insurance being £1000. However I've estimated the weight at 10 kg is that way too much?

Any ideas would be great.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello JWC,

Do you need to return the whole machine or if you speak to them there maybe an opetion to only return the Hard Drive, this may reduce your costs but i would speak to them first.

Hope this helps

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if I were you I would ask them to send you the new HDD in the post. £50 probably inst too far off the mark especially with the insurance. The original box is massive and you wont fit too many of em in a van, with the insurance on top £50 seems high but reasonable. Its not really the weight that kills it these days its more the dimensions of it.

I sold a couple of air conditioners a few years ago, almost the size of the PCS PC boxes and they were £20 each to send just do to the size, that was with hunting the best quote and everything.

Here is a comparison site for you http://www.parcel2go.com/

I would just get the new HDD shipped out, its such an easy job to fix. Depending on the case it might be a simple as sliding out the HDD caddy, removing the power and SATA cables then reverse the process for the installation. Pop in the windows disk, install windows, job done. The only complication might be needing a screwdriver if the HDD is screwed into place, but that depends on your chassis.

jwc

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks manta dog I was considering the option of just having a HDD sent out. Although honestly when It come to computers I've never messed around with them. I do know where the hard drive is and I think I'm more than capable of unplugging it. Is it a case of just plugging the new one in and putting the windows disc in the cd driver and turning back on and follow on screen instructions.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It will be straight forward and in if there are any issues you can contact technical support or post in here.

jwc

Bronze Level Poster
Ok cheers, I'm assuming that my version of replacing it was correct?

Will call up tomorrow to see about having a replacement HDD sent out to me.

steaky360

Will call up tomorrow to see about having a replacement HDD sent out to me.

Essentially yeah, once you get the new HDD installed you'll need to install windows and your drivers etc. onto it. Boot from the windows DVD for the first time and everything should fall into place.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster

pretty much that's it yeah, if you get stuck jump on the phone to PCS or on here and we can guide you through it. Very easy job though, computers are easy don't be scared of them.

jwc

Bronze Level Poster
What is the fault with your existing one out of curiosity?

the computer has just gone ridiculously slow to the point where opening a google crome window takes 10 mins etc sometimes fails to boot up. pcs sent me a testing programe ran two of them and both came back as failed just had to inform the tech the results and he said the hdd was faulty and needed replacing under manufactures warranty. i can find my way around a pc but when it comes to technical stuff im not clued up.

jwc

Bronze Level Poster
pretty much that's it yeah, if you get stuck jump on the phone to PCS or on here and we can guide you through it. Very easy job though, computers are easy don't be scared of them.

cheers thanks for your advice its much appreciated.