Potential Ubuntu Issues

sdnch2

Hi all. Thinking about ordering the following laptop. Has anyone had experience with Ubuntu on it/something similar? Are there any potential issues with any of the components? Thanks

Chassis & Display
Elimina Pro Series: 15.6" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10870H (2.2GHz, 5.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Elimina Pro Series Integrated 62WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
ELIMINA PRO SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Chassis
TongFang GM5MG0O (6GB RTX-3060, i7-10870H, 165Hz QHD, Blank KB)

Stephen M

Author Level
I have installed Ubuntu on a variety of PCS machines but not on the Elima or a TongFang chassis but do not think the model shoud matter, it should be ok with the components in it.

From recent experiences it is best to install in safe graphics mode and stay with the Nouveau drivers, on most machines they now work better than the proprietary Nvidia ones.

sdnch2

I have installed Ubuntu on a variety of PCS machines but not on the Elima or a TongFang chassis but do not think the model shoud matter, it should be ok with the components in it.

From recent experiences it is best to install in safe graphics mode and stay with the Nouveau drivers, on most machines they now work better than the proprietary Nvidia ones.
Stephen thanks so much for your quick reply. Does safe graphics install come with any downsides? If you don't mind me asking, what chassis did your machines have?

Stephen M

Author Level
Stephen thanks so much for your quick reply. Does safe graphics install come with any downsides? If you don't mind me asking, what chassis did your machines have?
All my laptops have been on a Clevo chassis.
There should be no downside to installing in safe graphic mode. Unless you get any obvious GPU problems it is better to stay on the X.org driver as things seem to run better with it.

In the past, at least three years, there were a couple of issues but they were obvious by the visuals, windows stuttering rather than flowing across the screen.

Recently I have found the install will fail without safe graphic chosen, although it will only waste a few minutes if you try.

The main issue in the past with Nvidia drivers was a log in loop, it was fairly easy to fix but if all works with X.org I would recommend staying away from the proprietary.

The biggest issue we have come across was a BIOS problem which meant the boot USB could not be recognised but I believe that was a one off on the Lafitte Pro of about two years ago and I know PCS were looking into that.

Worth looking at the threads in the Linux part of these fora on compatible machines.