Power issue on packard bell all in one

Crewzin

Hi folks.
My mum has a packard bell l5800 that has been shutting itself down. (Hard shut downs)
There has been no pattern to this and i suspected a overheating issue.
She took it to a local shop and they had it a few days and said after looking it was a mother board problem and wasnt worth mending. Once back home it got sat on the table and booted up to transfer files to new pc she purchased! Now the plot thickens. It was on an idle for 3 hours. When a small know of the power cord the pc died! Turned on again and touched the power lead and bingo off again. My dad says its almost like one of the pins on the back of power unti is lose or adrift somehow. Does anyone know if that can happen and if its an easy repair for someone with comfidence to tackle it?
Thanks in advance. :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If the power lead is the culprit then it is fixable, its not for an amateur but it is fixable.

It depends which part is broken. Is it just a 3 min kettle lead that connects to it? if so you could pick another one up for a couple of quid or use one from a PC and try it. if not then you probably need a new connector soldering on.

Crewzin

Not sure how or if it is get at able. Cant seem to find a new psu anywhere on the net. It apears to be on the psu. Lead is ok on another pc.