PowerBiosServer stopped working.

kaptsea

Hello there

I am using a Vortex IV (specs in the bottom) and the hotkey service is failing every day, sometimes multiple times in one day. I have tried several different versions with no result. Has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

Thank you in advance.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-4300M (2.60GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card AMD® Radeon® HD 8970M - 4GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB SEAGATE HYBRID SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
RAID NONE
mSATA SSD Drive NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
Are you still using w7, or have you moved onto 8? I ask because 8 / 8.1 is better at closing down unused services
over time, and it struck me as a possibility.

When you say the service is failing, what happens exactly?

kaptsea

Unfortunately i cannot post my reliability history right now but every day i get a red cross in it because powerbiosserver stopped working. Sometimes as i said multiple times a day.

Will post a screenshot as soon as I can. Also, when i turn on my laptop the wireless signal at the tray down right seems to be stuck in searching (swirling thingie) although i am connected to the internet normally. I just thought since hotkey controls the adapter too it might have something to do with it?

edit: Yes I am still using w7, I do not really prefer w8 / 8.1

Last edited:

kaptsea

This is a recent screenshot of my reliability history just to show whats going on. Almost all the red dots you can spot are because of PowerBiosServer.

Screenshot 2014-04-16 23.24.50.png

And this is the details of the problem. It seems to be the same each time the service crashes.

Screenshot 2014-04-16 23.37.05.png

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
As for your internet icon continually searching, this is a common fault with different versions of windows, I certainly remember it
on xp, but as you say you are connected to the internet, so don't worry about it, as long as your internet works fine.

Try unistalling hotkey fully, and any related programs, then a fresh installation of it, if you haven't already.

I don't use hotkey on my optimus, mainly because of the background drivel like powerbioserve it installs
and leaves running. Using your computer without such bloat is better overall, so if you can uninstall it and
live with it then problem solved.

kaptsea

Uninstalled and clean installed all different versions of hotkey without any success so far. The thing with hotkey is that it controls some of the fn keys (airplane mode and such). I do not mind this a whole lot, but a new product should work flawlessly, wouldn't it now?

I am more annoyed by my reliability history being bouncy because of it rather than it causing the occasional (if any) problem.

Do PCS tech check the forums, because every time I have tried to open a ticket they do not really give any attention to the problem.

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
It is 3rd party software, not something PCS have a say in creating so far as I can tell, they just build and
sell computers. The chassis suppliers provide the software for their hardware, if it doesn't work then not sure
what pcs can do about that. In truth, there is at least one driver from clevo that doesn't work properly / install
properly on my optimus 17.3; I did a fresh install of 8.1 64 bit, but no joy with it. It was the same with a previous
installation on a laptop from Rock in 2006. Their original image was fine, but a fresh installation just never quite
got all the drivers working again. But you can work around it, and live with it.