Pre-designed builds and Tweaking them

DavidStopher659

I am considering the pre-designed Cyber Elite as an 'entry' level build - it's many years since I last put a PC together. It seems sensible to upgrade the specified power supply for future upgrading - it is relatively cheap to do so, but the pcs system queries this - why?
The spec says 8Gb RAM - is this really enough, and is it cost -effective to go for say 16Gb now rather than upgrade later?
I am dumping my 2014 HP Envy and have a Win 10 'retail' license key. I can transfer this (I hope - see below) to the new build, but since Win 10 can be easily downloaded and be operational prior to activating with a key, is it feasible for PCS to install non-activated Win 10 by default (or is this a Microsoft no-no commercially?), making testing at your end and the home setup a bit easier? I know that laptops are usually OEM license windows, which have non-transferable keys, but the 'retail' status I get from the slmgr app. is prob. because the system was reinstalled after a major problem (the original license was OEM, of course).
Lastly, can I assume that with the SSD included in the build, I can add my (1Tb) SSD from the old laptop (or maybe the 1Tb hard drive which it originally came with) without any problems? Would the HDD be a better choice for this anyway?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
For reference, THIS is the pre-designed PC that the OP is talking about.

-------------------------

You'll get better and more detailed advice if you provide some info of how you're planning on using the PC. Is it for gaming at 1080p, is it for doing video editing, just Microsoft Office, etc.

Yes, you can add both your original laptop's 2.5" HDD and 2.5" SSD as the standard case has space for 3 x 2.5" drives...but the HDD will probably be a power-efficient, but slower 5400rpm. I'd also be wary about relying on 6+ year old components in a new build, so unless you've got some strong attachment to a large collection of data on the old drives, then I'd use them only to transfer stuff to your new drives.

As you've noticed the PSU is basic & low-powered, but keeping an eye on future upgrading, I'd upgrade to a better (more powerful & modular) PSU.

I'd also swap out the basic 256GB PCS SATA SSD for the 256GB PCS m.2 SSD to boost your OS booting (500MB/s vs 2000MB/s) for £4 extra. If this is going to be the only fast SSD in the machine then I'd make sure it's big enough to hold your games & apps too (so go up to a 1TB SSD)...otherwise have a small one for the OS and apps, and a 2nd larger one for game storage. Keep the HDD for slow storage for things like music & video. Personally, I'd have a 256/512GB VERY fast m.2 SSD (one of the 980 Pros) for the OS and apps, and a slower 1TB PCS m.2 SSD for games.

You also need 16gb (2x8gb) of 3200mhz RAM, otherwise your throwing performance away with that CPU.

If you're planning on transferring a W10 license, then you'll have to wipe the test OS from the SSD before you start using it (just download the USB Installer Creater Tool from the Microsoft website and create your own installer). Then remember to install all your W10 updates until there's none remaining - and then do the same for drivers for the motherboard and GPU.

Last edited:

DavidStopher659

Thanks for this - v. useful advice. I will be using this machine for 1080p gaming and other normal stuff (nothing demanding). Next step will be to check the effect of these suggestions on the total cost. Note that the SSD I propose for the 2nd drive is a recent upgrade for the laptop due for the 'dump'. I was not aware that a test OS was used, although it's pretty obvious in retrospect!
Good stuff.
And a couple of general comments about the process:
I dont really get the thing about fancy cases with flashing lights and glass sides - why (apart from practical benefits like built-in fans)?
I also dont really get the thing about super fast booting of OS - what's wrong with waiting another 20 secs or so for Windows to appear?

With apologies in advance to the enthusiasts for such sacrilegious thoughts.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I dont really get the thing about fancy cases with flashing lights and glass sides - why (apart from practical benefits like built-in fans)?
Aesthetics. There’s a large number of system owners (usually, but not always, gamers) who like to show off their components and have them bathed in RGB lighting. It’s purely down to user preferences.
I also dont really get the thing about super fast booting of OS - what's wrong with waiting another 20 secs or so for Windows to appear?
Ideally you also want your programs on that drive, they’ll also open and perform at a speedier rate, thus boosting your productivity and system performance. Those twenty seconds or so add up over time, I personally wouldn’t want to be sat waiting for any longer than I had to. Also consider that drives will eventually tend to start to slow down anyway as they fill up and the years go by. That twenty seconds could be forty seconds... or longer...