Pre-order v Grayed out Item

Rakk

The Awesome
Greyed out items are out of stock and will be back in stock at some point though the dates may not be known

Pre-order is just for some of the newer GPU's and CPU's that they've never really had enough stock of to fulfil orders but are coming in slowly and surely so they allow you to order those, but there will be a hefty wait on some of them (I think it does tell you when you press proceed of a rough estimate)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My understanding is a little different but in a very similar vein. I believe that Pre-Order means that PCS have an order in-place but haven't yet received confirmation of supply, just acceptance of the order with an ETA. Greyed out, means they don't have an accepted order in place.

This is reading between the lines of course as I'm making assumptions based on how my work.... works.

For example:

5900X - 520 orders in place with AMD, AMD commit to offer 520 units by 20th June. Current orders, 490 means there is place for 30 pre-orders for the 20th June. Once those 30 orders have been placed, the 5900X will be greyed out until another confirmed commit order is in place with AMD.

The struggle is with supply and demand right now with the more popular components. The orders are all in place and being committed, but ETAs are a bit in the air and confidence is low.

Schmoo2k

Bronze Level Poster
If my "component" was in stock at time I placed my order, but is now gray (if I was ordering a similar machine) - have I secured a unit, or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakk

The Awesome
If my "component" was in stock at time I placed my order, but is now gray (if I was ordering a similar machine) - have I secured a unit, or not?
Items aren't assigned when you order, but when it comes time for your PC to be built said items may be in stock by then or there may be a wait til they are, if there is no sight of when more are to arrive you would be emailed to decide whether you want to wait or change to a different component

Last edited by a moderator: