Pre production working days

Bronze Level Poster
This is what i have. I am going to be so annoyed if its not delivered in the morning.
Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 19.16.08.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Adamflea

Had my bad news email this morning. Estimated build was supposed to be yesterday. Updated to the 14th today. I think it’s pretty poor to tell someone a different date AFTER their estimated build has passed. Especially considering I contacted them yesterday. Looks like i should have done the fast track

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Gutted :(

I wonder if it was the fast track build option being opened up that's caused this delay? It's a bit of a shame if that is the case, doesn't really seem 100% fair on everyone who has been patiently waiting.
PCS are a business and money talks I would suspect....

ASHENTI

Silver Level Poster
This sounds selfish and it's not meant to be but as I was in possession of my PC for one day before it was an RMA and sent back I would be pretty annoyed if resources were directed away from any RMA to build more PC's. I wonder if there is an increase in RMA returns and hence the reason to disable fast track builds?

And yes I know it is a business but if it's a case of we've build your PC and don't care if it breaks you'll have to wait then that would be a detrimental decision for any business. Not saying that is PCS stance, I would just expect RMA's to get priority over a fast track build option.

Had my bad news email this morning. Estimated build was supposed to be yesterday. Updated to the 14th today. I think it’s pretty poor to tell someone a different date AFTER their estimated build has passed. Especially considering I contacted them yesterday. Looks like i should have done the fast track

That sucks. I agree it’s very harsh on people that have been waiting for the best part of a month just to get queue jumped at the last minute, but I guess they are a business and that’s what fast track is for. Look on the bright side, you’ve just saved yourself £35 and it'll be in build in only a couple of days :)

Last edited:

Adamflea

That sucks. I agree it’s very harsh on people that have been waiting for the best part of a month just to get queue jumped at the last minute, but I guess they are a business and that’s what fast track is for. Look on the bright side, you’ve just saved yourself £35 and it'll be in build in only a couple of days :)

Haha yeah I’m trying to look at the bright side. I’m away for most of the weekend anyway so couldn’t use it even if it came. Might just have to take a few days off when it comes.

Adamflea

This sounds selfish and it's not meant to be but as I was in possession of my PC for one day before it was an RMA and sent back I would be pretty annoyed if resources were directed away from any RMA to build more PC's. I wonder if there is an increase in RMA returns and hence the reason to disable fast track builds?

And yes I know it is a business but if it's a case of we've build your PC and don't care if it breaks you'll have to wait then that would be a detrimental decision for any business. Not saying that is PCS stance, I would just expect RMA's to get priority over a fast track build option.

You’d like to think they have a separate team for dealing with RMA but with Covid who knows

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Mine is due for delivery today between 3-4. I need to go out after work as its SWMBO birthday tomorrow and need to get some bits in so it'll sit in it's box most of the night I suspect!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You’d like to think they have a separate team for dealing with RMA but with Covid who knows
I rather suspect that the key phrase there is 'who knows'. I can well understand that a slick building system that relied on JIT deliveries of parts had been 'tuned' to produce build times under 20 days even with several thousand orders in the queue day in and day out. What COVID has done is to destroy that well-oiled machine and forced PCS to use a reduced workforce that is socially distanced and a supply chain that doesn't always meet their JIT needs (because of world shortages of components - also caused by COVID).

All that means that PCS are effectively starting from scratch designing and tuning a new building system that is still somehow able to deliver sub 20 day builds in most cases and with a parts delivery system on which they can no longer rely. Of course there have been teething problems, building errors, and delays - it's to be expected really.

Given the host of new procedures PCS have had to introduce because of COVID and the impact of these on their throughput and the quality of the builds I'm not at all surprised if there have been a few more RMAs of late. Juggling the RMA queue with the build and testing queue must be a management nightmare, especially when you consider that not all builders will make good fault-finders (and probably vice-versa).

I can well imagine that there have been (and still are) an awful lot of late nights being put in by both builders and managers as they struggle to meet what's been a fairly major increase in demand without the security of JIT deliveries and an efficient building team. I'm in regular contact with one of the senior managers at PCS and I know from him that he's been putting in many early mornings and late nights recently.

Frankly I'm amazed that PCS have managed to do as well as they have been doing.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I rather suspect that the key phrase there is 'who knows'. I can well understand that a slick building system that relied on JIT deliveries of parts had been 'tuned' to produce build times under 20 days even with several thousand orders in the queue day in and day out. What COVID has done is to destroy that well-oiled machine and forced PCS to use a reduced workforce that is socially distanced and a supply chain that doesn't always meet their JIT needs (because of world shortages of components - also caused by COVID).

All that means that PCS are effectively starting from scratch designing and tuning a new building system that is still somehow able to deliver sub 20 day builds in most cases and with a parts delivery system on which they can no longer rely. Of course there have been teething problems, building errors, and delays - it's to be expected really.

Given the host of new procedures PCS have had to introduce because of COVID and the impact of these on their throughput and the quality of the builds I'm not at all surprised if there have been a few more RMAs of late. Juggling the RMA queue with the build and testing queue must be a management nightmare, especially when you consider that not all builders will make good fault-finders (and probably vice-versa).

I can well imagine that there have been (and still are) an awful lot of late nights being put in by both builders and managers as they struggle to meet what's been a fairly major increase in demand without the security of JIT deliveries and an efficient building team. I'm in regular contact with one of the senior managers at PCS and I know from him that he's been putting in many early mornings and late nights recently.

Frankly I'm amazed that PCS have managed to do as well as they have been doing.

I'll drink to that, mine was done in 22 working days and that felt pretty dang respectable under the circumstances. It's perhaps just that bit more frustrating for the minority who have the same wait and then have to do an immediate RMA. I very much sympathise with that group!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll drink to that, mine was done in 22 working days and that felt pretty dang respectable under the circumstances. It's perhaps just that bit more frustrating for the minority who have the same wait and then have to do an immediate RMA. I very much sympathise with that group!
Certainly agree with that. I can't imagine much worse than waiting weeks for a PC only to have to RMA it.

Adamflea

Yeah it’s definitely been a tough time for everyone and I’ve not had dealings with them before to know what things were like pre covid. This is my first ever “good” pc so I wanted an expert to build it for me. I’ll be building myself after this as that won’t ever take me more than a week :) (part delivery excluded)

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
I think it may be why they’ve stopped the fast track system again they’ve probably been snowballed with people transferring their builds especially those at the back of the queue so to speak cause for those who were about to be built it wouldn’t have made much difference

benz78

Hello guys,

I have an order (PC liquid Series) who has been in test for more than 60 hours, while the "normal" times indicated for the tests are 12 to 24 hours... i have no updates on my PCS account...
should I be worried about this situation? any advice to handle my impatience ? :)