Problem booting new PC :(

davwhi

Hey folks,

I seem to have an intermitent problem when booting a new PC (it's < two weeks old), it's specs are:

Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
(CPU) Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£39)
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
TV Card PCTV SYSTEMS DVB-T DUAL TUNER DIGITAL FREEVIEW TV CARD

Basically, about 50-75% of the time, when I power it up, it seems to power up (all fans start up, case lights, lights on the motherboard light up too), but all I see on the monitor is black (It never makes it to the 'ASUS' BIOS screen), and it doesn't do the normal single beep to signal it's self-tested / posted correctly.

If I power it off, wait a bit (say, 30 seconds) and start it up again, it'll boot just fine.

I've tried upgrading the BIOS to the latest version, and this seems to be unchanged.

Any ideas folks?
Dave

Last edited:

paul1224

I have had exactly the same problem with a desktop but mine wouldn't boot at all.
The issue with mine was a defective Mobo so this could also be an issue with yours but unsure why it would start up the second time you try.
Have you made sure that all cables and hardware is seated correctly in case something isn't quite connecting correctly?

davwhi

Alright Paul,

I gave PCS a call earlier (credit where it's due here - I'm very impressed with the whole process so far) and they said very similar, and also advised a BIOS update.

So, I've updated the BIOS, reseated all the ram, and checked a few other connections to the motherboard (for the PC speaker, power, SATA).

I've cycled it a few times (power up, shut down, use, repeat) and all seems well!

I was keen to get a steer from PCS before I opened it up and touched anything - didn't want to affect warranty or something.

Thanks for the info,
Dave