problem with RX5700XT on Linux

catmcf

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)

Hello :)

Just received new PC yesterday; 1st time ordered from PCS, and the PC is really nice. Everything is running really well. Just having an issue running larger games [smaller games run very well], which seems to be a problem with the Asus Tuf laptop I've had for a few months also ... the same game runs fine on that laptop, using onboard graphics (as I can't get the discrete card to work), but I'm wondering if there isn't full Linux support for the RX5700XT on this main desktop PC yet. The game tries to start up, then it looks like a wine error will show, but that crashes also.

I'm running Anarchy (Arch/genuinely not very good at other than basic maintenance though), Mate, latest kernel/mesa/wine-staging, and have done nothing different about installs, but (via debug) I can see the game crashes with 'elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module' error. Not sure if it's a wine/mesa/drivers/kernel or other error, or how to properly find out. Have read around a lot but can't find any clear information. If any Linux users have any advice about this, I'd be very grateful.

If it gives any more clues, running vulkaninfo results in this:
vulkaninfo
Cannot create Vulkan instance.
This problem is often caused by a faulty installation of the Vulkan driver or attempting to use a GPU that does not support Vulkan.
ERROR at /build/vulkan-tools/src/Vulkan-Tools-1.2.135/vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:624:vkCreateInstance failed with ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER

Last edited:

catmcf

Hello STEPHEN M and thank you very much for responding. Yes, could well be a Wine issue. The frustrating thing is that the game runs perfectly on Asus Tuf laptop. I've tried another larger game, that usually runs fine, and that also runs worse than on the laptop's onboard graphics ... flashing white floors on the new PC.

I don't know if there's something I'm not doing right about running the new system, some extra drivers that may need installing, but I've been reading round a lot, and seem to have installed what's needed, plus have updated bios, and also switched the system to run at optimal/performance-level. Nothing's making any difference.

Finding some bad posts too, saying about issues with this card for months, on both Linux and Windows, so it could be that AMD need to finish work on the necessary drivers. Wish I'd seen those posts before choosing the card! I'd just seen good posts. Hopefully AMD make sure the drivers are working properly, if that's the issue. I'll be sure to run any wine/mesa updates straightaway incase it's a Wine issue; hopefully it is, as that would be far better than waiting for further drivers. Thanks again, and for including the link; I read Phoronix, more avidly right now, about any NAVI improvements on the way, so it's a good site to have bookmarked, for sure.

catmcf

If I can just add, I've typed 'dmesg' and can see segfaults. I looked that up, and there are posts saying to use gdb. I installed that, but cannot work out how to use it, despite looking at some tutorials. A bit worried, as some of the online information I'm seeing about segfaults says it can be to do with hardware/ram faults. I'd also installed Phoronix Test Suite, but it won't run. Not having much luck trying to find out what is wrong or in getting any test software working.

catmcf

Thanks again STEPHEN M. Really appreciate. :) I'd seen it, but my brain's whizzing with all the terms I don't really understand. I've faffed about doing copy and paste with some things from online and (by accident, lol) have now got inxi to show ... driver: amdgpu,ati and unloaded: modesetting,radeon ... but most games just black-screen, so am no further forward. Noticing a wine problem when trying to run larger games from the desktop, too, and Playonlinux seems wrecked, crashing after every part of an install, then it just vanishes.

Overwhelming that these newer cards (and bios/humungous amount of details) are clearly meant for people into tech, and there's no one clear guide. Smaller games work, so I'll try to find how to test hardware (Phoronix Suite wouldn't install, ironically, lol) and will wait for mesa/wine/AMD driver updates, like the one you've linked to. (Seeing Windows people say drivers have issues there too.) I'll contact PCS as well. Thanks again.

jerome_jm_martin

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I was reading your post, it seems to be a configuration mismatch between packages, question is : where ? difficult to say with the few lines posted here. You need to carefully check your logs, package version...

let me give you some personnal feedback, I've been using 'lots' of different distro for the last two decades... including Arch based distro.
If you don't know what you are doing, and do not master linux, stay away from arch. don't get me wrong, arch is good with a very good community, but you've got to be able to fix it by yourself (rolling realase+latest package= unstable)

Few years ago, on the same system, I was getting random crashes on games with ubuntu (can not recall the version), completely gone with debian. I do prefer a stable system with old working software instead of having the latest software version and an unstable system.

Lately, I've been really impress with pop_os, you might give it a try on your system and see if it helps, or you fix your system with proper dependencies check, you will find a lot of real archfanboys on arch forums. give it a try.

J.

Last edited:

catmcf

Hi Jerome and thank you very much for your post.

I was about to post today to say I'd just noticed a post on r/linux and followed that lead, which led to me seeing about the Zen kernel (frees up pc's resources), and then something else explaining that the GPU can be unlocked properly (no longer stuck at 20 fps) via installing a wine-esync version. I was able to install those two things, literally just now.

Incase it's useful for anyone, linux-zen was a simple repo install and the instructions then said to add chaotic-aur to /etc/pacman.conf in order to download the right wine version ...
[chaotic-aur]
Server = http://lonewolf-builder.duckdns.org/$repo/x86_64
Server = http://chaotic.bangl.de/$repo/x86_64
Server = https://repo.kitsuna.net/x86_64
... then add keys ...
sudo pacman-key --keyserver keys.mozilla.org -r 3056513887B78AEB
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 3056513887B78AEB
Then sudo pacman -Syu, so chaotic-aur is seen.
Then install wine-tkg-fsync-vkd3d-git.
Pamac/system glitched out then, shutting off expressvpn, I imagine because it saw 2 repos/sets of keys. I just removed chaotic-aur from pacman.conf, and that fixed things. No need to keep the chaotic-aur repo active really, when it's just to periodically download a specific version of wine.
Then, as far as I understand it, on the game's launcher, add WINEESYNC=1 after env.
I'd also noticed people saying about mesa aco, so looked that up. Saw some clear instructions saying to run yay -S mesa-aco-git lib32-mesa-aco-git and that a few packages will be removed during the install, then to restart pc. I'm so not a wine twiddler, lol, so have just tried one or two games, and things seem fine.

I haven't tried any big games, and don't play them often tbh, but the issues highlighted needing to find out how the pc/gpu could use it's full resources. Hopefully the Zen kernel and wine-eync enable anything to now use full resources for any applications.

I appreciate your feedback, and agree that it is important to consider stability, and leaping into Arch can be unwise. I know I definitely don't have 'tech DNA', lol, but, since coming to Linux about 3 years ago, have been able to keep things simple, keep notes, and manage basic maintenance. I moved from Manjaro to Arch (followed beginner guide, but now Anarchy) some time last year, and realised running as minimal a system as possible really was important, to avoid hitting anything more complex. I will certainly look into whether I can run the latest Zen kernel, mesa, wine-esync on a more traditionally stable system, and have got a collection of debs for the applications I use. I actually did try Pop last week, but just can't work with Gnome ... tried the advised install for Mate, but removing the excess Gnome stuff messed things up; if ever they did a Mate version, that would be cool. I may take another look, and LMDE is another distro on the list to try, too. A mixture of needing the latest kernel (the new LTS runs terribly on any hardware I've tried), and making sure there's not bloat or things like snap/telemetry etc.

Thanks again.

Last edited: