Problems after upgrading to windows 11

TBirdUK

I enabled TPM on my primary desktop and installed Windows 11 straight away, with hindsight I should have enabled TPM and made sure the Machine was still reliable before upgrading. I now have a strange issue and am not sure if it is TPM or W11 at fault?
Machine works a-OK until I do not use it for about 10 minutes when it Freezes completely
The mouse will still move around the screen but clicking or typing does nothing, even the Windows TOD clock display his frozen. Only method is to drop power completely and restart. Restart takes a long time but there is nothing "meaningful" in the windows event log (so far as I can tell) ..
Suggestions welcome?

TBirdUK

Too Late, MS disable reversion capability after 10 days so only option is virgin W10 install which would be an extensive process to reinstall all ancillaries.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Too Late, MS disable reversion capability after 10 days so only option is virgin W10 install which would be an extensive process to reinstall all ancillaries.
Takes no time at all to clean install, I do it once every 6 months or so, takes about 30 minutes if you have things set up the way they should be.

What ancillaries are you talking about?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It may be worth running the following commands in an elevated command prompts:

sfc /scannow

If that doesn't improve things, then try:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This last command may take some time so make sure you do it when you've got a window.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Export and upload the System and Application logs. Also upload any minidumps (in C:\Windows\Minidumps) that are current (check the date and time) and any live kernel dumps (in C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports) that are current.

If there's nothing obvious in any of that then you will have little choice but to clean install Windows 10 to verify that your hardware is performing as expected. I have a lot of third party applications and I clean install every year (with the May update) and have it all done in a day.

For the future, taking a disk image with something like Acronis or Macrium Reflect before you install Windows 11, so that you can easily restore your system, would have been wiser. Alternatively do what many of us have done and dual boot Windows 11 alongside Windows 10 as a testing system....

TBirdUK

Reloading the apps is not the main issue setting up the the outlook client with all the PST files and multiple emails IDs linking to them is a major pain. I work on my machine for about 18x7 hours and haven't had to reload Windows from scratch since the Windows 8 debacle.
No dump files stored, System and application logs too big for upload here, can be fetched from https://www.wokingfamily.com/system.zip

As I said before when Windows stops, it stops, not even the TOD clock is updated. it seems as if Windows has dropped into Sleep mode but not disabled the screen or the Mouse driver.
I have to drop power and "cold boot". I have found that first start is not great with very slow responses to all apps. If I then do a restart it takes a long time to restart as it waits on 2 instances of Program Manager to stop running, I have resolved this by disabling Fast Start.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Reloading the apps is not the main issue setting up the the outlook client with all the PST files and multiple emails IDs linking to them is a major pain. I work on my machine for about 18x7 hours and haven't had to reload Windows from scratch since the Windows 8 debacle.
No dump files stored, System and application logs too big for upload here, can be fetched from https://www.wokingfamily.com/system.zip

As I said before when Windows stops, it stops, not even the TOD clock is updated. it seems as if Windows has dropped into Sleep mode but not disabled the screen or the Mouse driver.
I have to drop power and "cold boot". I have found that first start is not great with very slow responses to all apps. If I then do a restart it takes a long time to restart as it waits on 2 instances of Program Manager to stop running, I have resolved this by disabling Fast Start.
The first thing I'd do is to remove McAffee, third party anti virus tools are the number one cause of system problems. Are you even sure that your version of McAfee is compatible with Windows 11? There are some information messages about McAfee in the System log talking about the McAfee Service Controller not being available.

TBirdUK

I disabled McAffee (and Drop Box, and a few more) as the first Fault finding steps weeks ago.

Just to be sure I uninstalled McAffee completely and cleared the logs, I have had a failure since that. Logs attached.

Attachments

• system.zip
    37 KB · Views: 127

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I disabled McAffee (and Drop Box, and a few more) as the first Fault finding steps weeks ago.

Just to be sure I uninstalled McAffee completely and cleared the logs, I have had a failure since that. Logs attached.
Did you use the official uninstaller for McAfee? It's not possible to uninstall it without it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just to be clear, this hardware ran Windows 10 flawlessly, yes?
And do you have the same third party software installed in Windows 11 that you had in Windows 10? Or is there anything new?
Which of the machines in your (rather long) signature is the one we're talking about?
Did you allow Windows Update to install all drivers? In Windows 11 it's not that easy to find the Optional Updates which is where all the drivers will be found. If the drivers are not all installed then all bets are off.

In your Application log there are a lot of Dropbox errors for dbxsvc.exe but they're unlikely to be the cause of your freezes.

TBH I think your best option is to reinstall Windows 11 (clean), allow Windows Update to install all drivers (check the Optional Updates) and nothing else. See whether it freezes in that state.

TBirdUK

So long as you are the user who installed McAffee from scratch you can uninstall from Windows, if a trial was preinstalled by System builder (or remote installed by Corporate Admin) you have to use the uninstaller to clear all Registry entries.
(I have been supporting Laptop users with McAfee installed since c1992)

TBirdUK

And do you have the same third party software installed in Windows 11 that you had in Windows 10? Or is there anything new?
Which of the machines in your (rather long) signature is the one we're talking about?
Did you allow Windows Update to install all drivers? In Windows 11 it's not that easy to find the Optional Updates which is where all the drivers will be found. If the drivers are not all installed then all bets are off.

In your Application log there are a lot of Dropbox errors for dbxsvc.exe but they're unlikely to be the cause of your freezes.

TBH I think your best option is to reinstall Windows 11 (clean), allow Windows Update to install all drivers (check the Optional Updates) and nothing else. See As

TBH I think your best option is to reinstall Windows 11 (clean), allow Windows Update to install all drivers (check the Optional Updates) and nothing else. See whether it freezes in that state.
it is the first machine in my list that ran W10 without issues since June. Yes, all optional updates are installed and no new Apps have been installed since upgrade to W11. I disabled dropbox when issue first started but restarted today. Sorry for length of list, but all 3 machines are in daily use by either me or my transcription assistants (aka son and the missus)

I may have found the problem cause (possibly a Permission error in the interaction between Browsers and W11)
If M/C runs OK tonight and tomorrow I will write it up.

TBirdUK

OK I have now tested both Failure mode and Non-Failure mode extensively.
Basic scenario is that I have run for many years with 2 different Browsers open concurrently (my preference is Firefox and Chrome but any permutation of 2 of 3 including Chrome all produce the same result)
One of the browsers is logged on to https://Ancestry.co.uk using the same Userid which is used for my Windows/Office/Edge Account.
The second Browser is Logged on to https://www.gro.gov.uk/ using a Userid based on email address for one of my other Domains.

I have been working in this manner for many years and never experienced a failure before upgrading to TPM and WIN11
Having no knowledge of how TPM interacts with Windows11 I cannot comment on which change has been the cause of the problem I am encountering.
At some seemingly random point (ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours) the entire Windows system freezes except except the Mouse movements. The only exit is to drop the Input Power.

The error does not occur if I only use one Browser.
What I have discovered is that if I access Task Manager and disable the "startUp Application" the system no longer fails using multiple browsers ....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-12 174052.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-12 174052.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OK I have now tested both Failure mode and Non-Failure mode extensively.
Basic scenario is that I have run for many years with 2 different Browsers open concurrently (my preference is Firefox and Chrome but any permutation of 2 of 3 including Chrome all produce the same result)
One of the browsers is logged on to https://Ancestry.co.uk using the same Userid which is used for my Windows/Office/Edge Account.
The second Browser is Logged on to https://www.gro.gov.uk/ using a Userid based on email address for one of my other Domains.

I have been working in this manner for many years and never experienced a failure before upgrading to TPM and WIN11
Having no knowledge of how TPM interacts with Windows11 I cannot comment on which change has been the cause of the problem I am encountering.
At some seemingly random point (ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours) the entire Windows system freezes except except the Mouse movements. The only exit is to drop the Input Power.

The error does not occur if I only use one Browser.
What I have discovered is that if I access Task Manager and disable the "startUp Application" the system no longer fails using multiple browsers ....
I don't recognise that 'startUp Application' at all - it's not a Windows feature for sure. It looks to me like malware with such a strange name and no listed publisher. I would keep it disabled and see whether anything else doesn't work as expected - in which case it almost certainly is malware. Do a couple of anti-malware scans too.....

S1lencrr

Hi, I wanted to repoen this thread as I am having the exact same issues here. My PC will freeze multiple times in the day since upgrading to W11 and the only solution is to cut the power and restart the system. I never had any problems before on W10 and I havent added any additional applications to the PC since the upgrade (other than some updates to Adobe programs). It seems the main issue that causes it is watching videos through my browser (I use Chrome) as this always increases the regularity of the crashes.

I tried looking above though the solution and I dont have the 'startup Application' running on startup to disable so I dont think thats the issue

@TBirdUK Did your issue stop once removing this? Or did it start occurring again?

PS Im pretty basic on my knowledge of PCs as I was previously Mac based so might need some dumbed down language for a response. Thanks!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi, I wanted to repoen this thread as I am having the exact same issues here. My PC will freeze multiple times in the day since upgrading to W11 and the only solution is to cut the power and restart the system. I never had any problems before on W10 and I havent added any additional applications to the PC since the upgrade (other than some updates to Adobe programs). It seems the main issue that causes it is watching videos through my browser (I use Chrome) as this always increases the regularity of the crashes.

I tried looking above though the solution and I dont have the 'startup Application' running on startup to disable so I dont think thats the issue

@TBirdUK Did your issue stop once removing this? Or did it start occurring again?

PS Im pretty basic on my knowledge of PCs as I was previously Mac based so might need some dumbed down language for a response. Thanks!
Hi mate this may seem dismissive but I would just go back to Windows 10

There is absolutely no reason right now to go to Windows 11 over Windows 10 especially if it's giving you problems. I have no intention of switching to W11 for at least another year until things get ironed out.

S1lencrr

Hi mate this may seem dismissive but I would just go back to Windows 10

There is absolutely no reason right now to go to Windows 11 over Windows 10 especially if it's giving you problems. I have no intention of switching to W11 for at least another year until things get ironed out.
Yeah this was my thinking too, Im not seeing much of an upgrade between the 2, nothing thats game-changing anyway. Whats the best way to revert back (im past the 10 days to just do this via a system rollback)? Thanks :)