Problems cooling stock Octane 15.6” laptop with GeForce GTX 1070

alaait

Hi all. Had this laptop for about 16 months. In December I had a heat issue and replaced the original thermal paste (ek-Tim ektotherm) with cooler mastergel maker nano. That had a big impact on temps and the system has been running well and cool since. Until very recently.

Temps are now hitting 90c on the graphics card when I’m running an external screen via the mini dp connector. I am running world of tanks.

I am considering

A) repasting the gpu.
B) getting a vacuum fan to attach to the rear vent on the gpu side.

Has anyone had similar repeat heat issues and how did you solve them?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
are the insides cleans?

vacuum fans are good, but its dependant on the laptop model as the PCS laptops are quite non standard and you'll no doubt need to jerry rig the hood to the laptop. I found that sticking the vacuum fan to a large lap rest for a laptop and then placing the laptop in position worked best for me. But expect to have to need to use tape and cardboard in order to get it aligned properly. Most vacuum fans expect to be on the side vents and not on the back so its gets a bit tricky.

Works better than a pad, but more cumbersome,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whilst a vacuum fan is good, it's treating the symptoms rather than the cause and the underlying issue will remain unaddressed.

As the laptop was previously overheating, it's possible it's contributed to degredation of the thermal pad on the graphics card.

I would suggest a repaste of the GPU, certainly, that would be more of a targetted approach.

I would also suggest (if you haven't already) running an undervolt on the CPU to bring overall chassis temps down.