Problems getting IE to work (but it was okay previously!)

portoman

Hi

I was updating some driver software which rebooted my pc. When the desktop re-appeared I clicked on IE and the browser attempted to open but then quickly closed. I tried this a few times and the best I can get is a blank IE screen with no menu bar etc, just showing my favourites bar. I've done a system restore, tried to update IE but it says I have the latest edition so doesn't do anything; I've tried IE with no add-ons but that won't load either. As I type this, I'm currently doing a SFC/scannow to see if that might fix it. Google Chrome is unaffected but I'd still like to fix IE.

(update : SFC didnt find anything - "did not find any integrity violations")

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whenever you run an sfc /scannow, run it at least 3 times, it'll often miss errors on first couple of scans.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
RIght. I've done it twice more and it says no violations, yet IE still will not work. Any ideas ?

Try uninstalling (go to add/remove programs/turn windows features on/off/ then deselect IE11). Then reboot and reinstall in the same way.

portoman

No, it's not as simple as that. I have uninstalled it and tried to reinstall in (IE 11) but it saying the download was unsuccessful / failed.

Any suggestions ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No, it's not as simple as that. I have uninstalled it and tried to reinstall in (IE 11) but it saying the download was unsuccessful / failed.

Any suggestions ?

sorry, what do you mean by "tried to reinstall in (ie 11)"?

Did you reenable it in the Add windows features box?

portoman

I mean uninstalled Internet Explorer through the Windows Update section so there are no versions of IE on my system now. I have since tried to re-install it by downloading it from Microsoft and via the Windows Update sections but I keep getting fail messages with a code 9C59

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I mean uninstalled Internet Explorer through the Windows Update section so there are no versions of IE on my system now. I have since tried to re-install it by downloading it from Microsoft and via the Windows Update sections but I keep getting fail messages with a code 9C59

Try disabling any anti virus when doing the actual install downloaded from the web.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
IE is so closely integrated into Windows that I don't believe it's possible to completely remove it. In any case your problem may never have been with IE itself in the first place. Now though, since you've done a lot of messing and troubleshooting, your best option is a clean reinstall of Windows, drivers, and third party software. That's going to be the quickest way for you to get a stable system now.

Androcles

Rising Star
There are three common issues that are known to cause the 9c59 code when trying to install IE11 ..

Firstly, A previous version of IE installed still (usually IE9), if you have any other version of IE installed make sure it is uninstalled from the PC. Also check in Windows Update if there are any pending updates for IE9 or IE10 (IE11 doesn't like installing if there are are pending updates for previous versions), if so then remove them from updates and restart before trying to install IE11.

Secondly, AV and firewall software commonly causes this issue, try disabling your AV and firewall completely before attempting to install.

Finally, Another of the common of the fixes for the 9c59 issue when installing IE11 is to downgrade your .Net 4.5.1 version (there is a known conflict between .Net 4.5.1 and a recent update) to the previous version, check your installed programs list and if .Net 4.5.1 is installed then uninstall it and install .Net 4.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718 , then try installing IE again, if it's the same issue it should stop the 9c59 error.

Last edited:

NilSatis

Bright Spark
What Androcles has suggested is your best bet. There will be some remnants of Ie9 or 10 or a pending update for an old version of Ie that has not been installed yet. This is why you get that particular error/failure of installation. If you havent tried then a system restore might also get you back up and running; but try getting back to a working ie9 before going that route as there are potentially some updates that are stuck at the moment. I had a similar issue until windows update was ran again a few times, and it finally decided that it still needed to update something on the ancient ie9 before it would install 11 on one machine. So therefore, get back to just having ie9 installed, make sure that is working, and recheck for updates; and go from there if you can. If you cant do that, then system restore, and windows reinstall may be the best best after double/triple checking you dont have any nasties etc. stopping the installs.
What driver software seemed to make it stop working, and where did you download it from?