Problems with 2.4ghz wireless connection against a 5ghz

Hi All

Sorry about the cryptic title but I wasn't sure what to put as my problem is quite odd.

I have recently purchased a new PC from PCS and I am very happy with it :)o). Thank you very much. However, I am not happy with my Virgin Cable internet connection, as I am entitled to up to 50mbps with my package but over the Wifi 2.4ghz connection my new PC (plus my phone when connected via 2.4ghz) I only get on average 3mbps download and 0.021mbps upload - and last night I was chugging along at 0.5mbps!

The Virgin (non-so)Super Hub offers dual band so I jumped my phone over to the 5ghz connection and low and behold, my little old phone is now registering between 35mbps and 49mbps download and 2.61mbps upload.

So, firstly, is such a massive difference normal between 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi connections?

Secondly, if so, should I look to get a dual band wireless card for my PC? Or, if not, does anyone have any thoughts on how to rectify this issue that wouldn't involve me having to speak to Virgin Customer (don't)Care?

Thanks for your thoughts guys and gals.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
5Ghz is bent to be faster but that difference is a bit too much, you might be having some interference on the 2.4Ghz band. Try going into your router and changing to channel 1, 6 or 11. They are your best bet if you are having any problems with interference. it could be a neighbour with a cordless phone, loads of things do it.

If that fails then you could opt for a dual band expansion card, so long as you are getting a decent enough 5Ghz connection at the location where your PC will be. Alternatively you could use a wired connection, or homeplugs.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I switch between 2.4 and 5ghz and there is no noticeable difference, you may want to try contacting Virgin to verify your settings and connections are ok. You should also try Mantadog's advice, instructions on how to do are available on the Virgin Media site.