Processor confusion

Marrgon

Hi

Sorry another question, just can't work this out.

Why is the i5-7300HQ outperformed by the older i5-4670k? The 4670 is years older. The parts market seems a real trap, for example the GTX1050 is outperformed by the GTX 970 which is 2.5 years older..

Thank you
Steve

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi

Sorry another question, just can't work this out.

Why is the i5-7300HQ outperformed by the older i5-4670k? The 4670 is years older. The parts market seems a real trap, for example the GTX1050 is outperformed by the GTX 970 which is 2.5 years older..

Thank you
Steve

If all the questions are linked to the same spec it would be better to have it all in one thread. You are comparing mobile components with desktop components.

Marrgon

I didn't realise there was a difference, so a laptop won't use the same processor as a desktop, ok. This would not apply to the GPU though? A gtx 1050/970 is the same in a laptop or desktop?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I didn't realise there was a difference, so a laptop won't use the same processor as a desktop, ok. This would not apply to the GPU though? A gtx 1050/970 is the same in a laptop or desktop?

As far as I know there was no gtx 970 for a laptop but a gtx 970m which was significantly inferior to the desktop GTX 970. I think even with the GTX 1050 desktop vs laptop version there is like a 10% difference in performance.

Marrgon

You've just opened my eyes, I've been reasearching specs for a laptop based on game requirements which probably apply to desktop parts. Thank you.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You've just opened my eyes, I've been reasearching specs for a laptop based on game requirements which probably apply to desktop parts. Thank you.

If you post your budget and requirement someone can post a suitable spec.For Nvidia 10 series GPU the difference between mobile and desktop equivalent is roughly 10 % (I think) not as bad as before with a gtx 970 and 970m