Programming/coding PC

tritho

Hi all,

I'm about to start learning coding (Java/Python/Kotlin) with a view to getting into app development. Obviously I may change direction as I learn more about coding.

I'm also going with no operating system as standard as I plan on running some Linux distro, unsure atm, so I suppose before my build question, a quick 2 part question;

which Linux distro?

Any downsides to getting the PC built without an OS?

Anyway onto the important stuff, from the little research Ive done, although any pc will do for a newbie, looking at the long term, it's seem RAM, an SSD and a fast processor are the main requirements I'm after. My budget is approx £2000 Max. I already have my screens and peripherals. How's does this Spec look for my needs:

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500P GAMING

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs WIFI - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 16GB)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED

Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER

Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz

USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Stephen M

Author Level
This is a great site for looking at Linux distros: https://distrowatch.com/

What other uses will you have for the computer, any gaming? I would certainly reconsider and go with an AMD build, they are by far the best CPUs at the moment and although there were a couple of issues with Linux on the launch of the latest Ryzen, AMD were very quick to respond. Intel have been left behind and at the moment do not look like catching up for a while.

You could consider a faster SSD, a WD Black or Samsung but 250 GB would be enough for the OS and main software, then either a decent 7200rpm HDD or a cheaper SSD for storage.

As to which Linux distro, that is very much a personal choice thing, although you experience with 'nix would play a part as well. For a total newbie to 'nix something like Zorin, the free version, is good as it is designed for people who are migrating from Microsoft. I use Ubuntu which is easy to install and simple to use but Mint users would say the same and I would not disagree, as I said it is very much a taste thing. Fedora is a very good system but if you are dual-booting does not always play nicely with other distros so I would not recommend that to anyone without experience.

Not sure about the RAM, certainly go for the fastest but you could start at 32 GB and add if needed, that would free up a bit of cash for a better SSD. It is worth knowing that PCS allow us to work on our machines without voiding the warranty, so you can add stuff later, plus they are very helpful and will guide you through it if you are not too sure.

No mention of the warranty you have chosen but once you have spent a grand an extra fiver for the Silver, with one year return if needed, is well worth it.

There are better people than me for putting a config together and i would wait to see what they have to say.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
An AMD Ryzen build would potentially be a better bet:

Depending on the task, it seems AMD's CPUs' large caches can help a lot.

Be sure to check that whatever version of Linux you're using will play nice ofc.

tritho

How about this build then?

I know it might be overkill but if building a PC is anything like cars (yes I'm a motorhead) then isn't it better to "do it right, do it once" kind of deal.

Anyway, new idea of spec below (disclaimer - I've not yet researched the Linux distro and comparability with various drivers/OS etc)

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VII HERO (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12

1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans (Special Offer)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1900 1,300Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That's a Zen+ CPU rather than Zen 2 (i.e. it's 2000 series rather than 3000). Zen 2 / 3000 series probably makes more sense.

The R9 3900X is currently out of stock. You should wait for it as it;'s by far the best AMD option for your uses and should fit in your budget.

The Crosshair motherboards are extremely expensive. A high end, but not ultra end, motherboard would probably be a better fit here.

AMD's Navi GPUs are currently only available with blower coolers, which are rather poor. If you think a Navi GPU is the best fit for your uses, wait for the partner cards with 2/3 fan cooling solutions to come out in August (I think).

How will you be using the GPU?