Proteus VIII Review

Hi! I have decided to post a review on the laptop I recently got for myself. My choice was the Proteus VIII laptop since if has the appropriate specs and lies within my price range.

First, the design and build quality. In my opinion the Laptop looks amazing and modern, even futuristic a bit, which I find really cool. With regards to build quality, I have no complains, it looks sturdy enough and I do not expect it will have any issues in the future. The laptop is quite small, which is a big bonus for transportability. Keyboard is nice and comfortable. Backlight is good. Touchpad is a bit small, but well.. just need to get used to it like with every other laptop.

Screen quality - it is really good as well. I have played some RPG games on the Laptop and latest Doom and it is bright enough, crisp and vivid colours. No complaints.

Performance - the specs of my Laptop are i7-10875h, GeForce 2060, 32GB RAM, SSD for the system drive and "everything else" drive. Again, I have tried playing games on that one and I can set up graphics to high/ultra with no issues whatsoever. Latest Doom, Witcher 3 HD modded, Dragon Age Inquisition HD modded + Elder Scrolls Online. Performance is good enough for modern games and I assume it will last for quite some time. I do some 3D modelling as well and that laptop is quite an upgrade on what I used to have.

Thermals - definitely need to talk about that after performance. Without any tweaks CPU runs quite hot - 90-95 degrees while gaming. Unfortunately, undervolting is locked so even though I thought I would do -100-150mV, I cannot do that. Therefore, to reduce the temperatures, I just use a cooling pad and I locked Turbo Boost at 4GHz instead of 5.1GHz. Temperatures never go higher than 80 degrees now without any losses in performance whatsoever. In reality I do that on every laptop I own (I have another i7-8750h laptop) and that helps to increase the lifespan of the laptop without making it run hot for prolonged periods of time. There is no need to boost CPU to maximum frequencies unless you really need to do so for your specific needs. Overall, I would say that laptop is just fine with thermals especially considering its slim build. Could be better, but laptops are all quite hot.

Sound - that one is a negative point for this Laptop. It's super quiet, it's just not enough at maximum volume to game. You can probably watch movies in completely quiet environment but that's about maximum you can do. I always use headphones so I am not too fussed about that one, but well.. might be important for some.

Connectivity - no issues, network is flying with my 150mbps home Wi-Fi network. Everything is working totally fine.

Order and delivery - ordered on 10/09/2020, dispatched on 23/09/2020, received on 24/09/2020 (UK).

To summarise, I would say that this is an amazing laptop for anyone, who wants good performance, design and transportability with all the necessary features. + Value for money is just right. I have spent quite some time researching a lot of different laptops and Proteus is definitely there around the top in terms of price/productivity ratio. Well worth the money.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_113026.jpg
    IMG_20201006_113026.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20201006_112924.jpg
    IMG_20201006_112924.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20201006_112939 (1).jpg
    IMG_20201006_112939 (1).jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 361

FerrariVie

Super Star
Just regarding undervolting... It is unfortunate that it's locked and can't be changed, but from what I have seen on youtube and other forums, the 10th-gen intel CPUs don't have much room for undervolting anyway. I don't think you could have ever reached 150mv, it's usually around 50 or 75.

But I assume you're using gaming/control center to tune your performance and thermals? High-performance/turbo modes should not be used for longer periods and the usual entertainment/gaming mode is more suitable for everyday use. If even on the latter modes you're still reaching 95°, then I agree that you need to underclock the CPU boost or alternatively try repasting with a better thermal paste.

Thon_Zebra

Thermals - definitely need to talk about that after performance. Without any tweaks CPU runs quite hot - 90-95 degrees while gaming. Unfortunately, undervolting is locked so even though I thought I would do -100-150mV, I cannot do that. Therefore, to reduce the temperatures, I just use a cooling pad and I locked Turbo Boost at 4GHz instead of 5.1GHz. Temperatures never go higher than 80 degrees now without any losses in performance whatsoever. In reality I do that on every laptop I own (I have another i7-8750h laptop) and that helps to increase the lifespan of the laptop without making it run hot for prolonged periods of time. There is no need to boost CPU to maximum frequencies unless you really need to do so for your specific needs. Overall, I would say that laptop is just fine with thermals especially considering its slim build. Could be better, but laptops are all quite hot.
Hi Legatus,

I bought this laptop and in regards to the thermals I would say my performance is much the same, what solutiion did you use to lock Turbo Boost at 4GHz instead of 5.1GHz? So I can try it out.

Also what CC power profiles do you use for the games and regular use? And whats the model of cooling fan you have there. Haha. :L
I was worried my games would throttle fps with the CPU getting so hot.

Hi Legatus,

I bought this laptop and in regards to the thermals I would say my performance is much the same, what solutiion did you use to lock Turbo Boost at 4GHz instead of 5.1GHz? So I can try it out.

Also what CC power profiles do you use for the games and regular use? And whats the model of cooling fan you have there. Haha. :L
I was worried my games would throttle fps with the CPU getting so hot.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I just lock the maximum CPU frequency with Windows 10 settings. You have to unlock the settings though first. I am not sure if I can post links to external websites here but there you go: https://appuals.com/what-is-maximum-processor-frequency-and-how-to-use-it/

For the CC power profile - I just use the same one all the time - Gaming.

For the cooling pad - I didn't really think much about it, went on Amazon and bought the one "recommended". From all the reviews of these cooling pads it seems like they all perform about the same anyhow. The main thing about this is just to have space for air to circulate beneath the laptop, not the fan itself.

Maxime

Hi! I have decided to post a review on the laptop I recently got for myself. My choice was the Proteus VIII laptop since if has the appropriate specs and lies within my price range.

First, the design and build quality. In my opinion the Laptop looks amazing and modern, even futuristic a bit, which I find really cool. With regards to build quality, I have no complains, it looks sturdy enough and I do not expect it will have any issues in the future. The laptop is quite small, which is a big bonus for transportability. Keyboard is nice and comfortable. Backlight is good. Touchpad is a bit small, but well.. just need to get used to it like with every other laptop.

Screen quality - it is really good as well. I have played some RPG games on the Laptop and latest Doom and it is bright enough, crisp and vivid colours. No complaints.

Performance - the specs of my Laptop are i7-10875h, GeForce 2060, 32GB RAM, SSD for the system drive and "everything else" drive. Again, I have tried playing games on that one and I can set up graphics to high/ultra with no issues whatsoever. Latest Doom, Witcher 3 HD modded, Dragon Age Inquisition HD modded + Elder Scrolls Online. Performance is good enough for modern games and I assume it will last for quite some time. I do some 3D modelling as well and that laptop is quite an upgrade on what I used to have.

Sound - that one is a negative point for this Laptop. It's super quiet, it's just not enough at maximum volume to game. You can probably watch movies in completely quiet environment but that's about maximum you can do. I always use headphones so I am not too fussed about that one, but well.. might be important for some.

Connectivity - no issues, network is flying with my 150mbps home Wi-Fi network. Everything is working totally fine.

Order and delivery - ordered on 10/09/2020, dispatched on 23/09/2020, received on 24/09/2020 (UK).

To summarise, I would say that this is an amazing laptop for anyone, who wants good performance, design and transportability with all the necessary features. + Value for money is just right. I have spent quite some time researching a lot of different laptops and Proteus is definitely there around the top in terms of price/productivity ratio. Well worth the money.

Thanks!
Hi , your feedback about this laptop are still so good ?