PS3 YLOD, What's my options?

Nafninja23

So last night I was happily playing Skyrim on my PS3, when "Poof", it turns it's self off. I go to turn it back on and to my sheer enjoyment I have managed to obtain the infamous Yellow Light Of Death.
Now I'm not too upset as my PC should be on its way soon and I've had no problems with my PS3 for the three and a half years I've had it. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little annoyed.
This morning I tried the "Hairdryer" method, but this was unsuccessful, I did manage to get the disc out though.
So, I was wondering What my options are. Will a store like Game or CEX give me any descent amount for it, or do I just need to shell out the £100 I don't have to get Sony to fix it, or more likley send me a refurbish one (I believe this is the rough cost).

I know this might not be the best forum to post on, but I know that all you guys here are helpful and will always give an honest and useful answer (Where I feel if I use Sony's forums I'm just going to be convinced to send my PS3 to them without considering other options).

Many thanks.

Meds

Gutted! Mine has been freezing/crashing recently but so far I've avoided the YOLD.

I know a few people how have had this problem and after they've pulled it apart and used a heatgun on the motherboard it worked - however this seemed to only be a temporary fix and within a couple of months the same thing happens again.

You could probably sell it as faulty on eBay for around £50 and put that towards another? Never been down the Sony repair route so can't really comment on that :(

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Ah thats a shame, after my constant problems with my old xbox's (luckily not the one I have at the moment) I too0k out a cover on my ps3, like £1 a month and theyll replace my ps3 same day :).

IM not sure about fixing it, some people have reportedly put the motherboard on patrchment and stuck it on 180 in the oven for 10 mins (works for some of the HP printers, something to do with dry joints) not sure if this would work for ps3 problems, and I deffinately wouldnt recommend it myself as I have no idea of the consequences.

Al.Neri

Super Star
only ever had one problem with a PS3, but it wasn't a YLOD. the problem I had was with my old 60GB model, the network port stopped working so I couldn't connect to play online.

I phoned the sony UK number in the maunal and explained what was wrong, and told them I was outside the warranty window. they said they would call back after checking a few options. when they called back, they told me that they would offer a full refurb, as well as an extended 3 month warranty as a "goodwill gesture". they said I would get it before 9am the next day as well, which I did. I just handed over my PS3, and watched as the delivery man cracked open the seal on the box in front of my eyes. that was all there was to it.

the refurb was still going strong long after the 3 months were up, and I only got rid of it when HMV had a trade in offer for one of the new slim models for £70.

I've read a few people with similar experiences to mine, even for YLOD issues, while others have not been so fortunate. I think either way, the best thing to do first is call sony and ask their advice. it's really down to the luck of the draw as to what call centre operator you get put through to.

Nafninja23

Guess I'll ring Sony tomorrow then and hope luck is on my side. If not I'll try the heat-gun approach and if that's not a winner I guess I'll have to blag it to someone for a hefty profit :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I bet Sony would probably give you a replacement for a low cost, maybe even free. At the end of the day I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose a customer, if they keep you happy they keep you on ps3 as opposed to straying over to the other side.