Puppylinux / Fatdog

orose

Hi all, I am using puppy linux 5.11 Lucid (Live CD). It's my first linux experience and I am very impressed with the speed compared to windows. Fatdog is the 64 bit version which I will surely be trying out on my new system. Any pup users here?

Take care

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
Well, I do use it but only as a recovery disk or usb stick. It is possible to make it do most things, but it is geared up to run lightweight low memory apps. Once you start using it with heavier apps like Firefox and OpenOffice and the kind of things you need if you really want to upgrade from your previous OS, then much of the speed advantages drains away.

I no longer use Windows at all except for a pluggable XP boot drive on my old computer for the odd time I have to use Windows. In order to replace things like iTunes, and work with a video camcorder and the rest of the normal productivity jobs, I find I need the power of Ubuntu for normal day-to-day work. The think is, are you hoping to replace your legacy operating system with Puppy and do everything you used to be able to do on your PC?

DSN

Enthusiast
If your new to the Linux scene, Id give Ubuntu a try. Much sexier than Puppy/Fat.

orose

@barry: na not planning on totally replacing windoze with it but its just nice to use for browsing the net I find.