Purchasing a Vortex 3 and using Vortex 2 Hard drives

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Hello Folks,

Would like to ask for a little bit of advice if i may.

I currently own a 17.3" Vortex 2 with a i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz with a GTX 580M. I use an Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD as my primary/OS hard drive with a 750GB Seagate Momentus Hybrid in the Secondary Slot for Games etc

My question is, if i purchase a Vortex 3 with i7-3840QM (2.80GHz) and a GTX 680M with the cheapest available hard drive in the primary slot only and no operating system, will it possible to transfer my existing hard drives across with minimal aggravation.

As i understand it, the BIOS controls the CPU and GPU so once that is installed and set to work in the factory, once i receive it, i should be able to physically remove the "cheaper" HDD and replace it with my existing OS SSD and Secondary HDD from my current laptop

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

Torgan.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It is possible to transfer the HDD over but I think you will end up re-installing the OS here, and you will certainly need to re-activate it as the OS will detect a new chipset and CPU.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
then you would be stuck with the older laptop and no drives? yeah you could buy another drive, but would need to make sure you buy a new copy of windows with the new laptop

Why would ya need two gaming laptops?

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case with reinstalling the OS, just figured i would ask in case there was a shortcut i wasn't aware of

As to why i would want two gaming laptops, I always want to have the best i possibly can and i would have passed on the original to my godson with the supplied HDD installed with a fresh OS