quantum computers,

greybing

what do you people think of quantum computers,,..for people who are not in the know i'll try and explain the little i know normal computers read information using binary 1[on] or 0[off] and from this you can pretty much tell the computer anything by combinations of 1's and 0's......with quantum computers you can have 3 options 1,0 and both[i know this is weird] but quantum physics has shown that a particle or atom ,whayever it is they use to physically represent 1 or 0 can be both 1 and 0 at the samr time meaning that a quantum computer could be much much more powerful,like millions of times more powerful ....now they have actually made one of these computers though it is very early days but it is certainly interesting stuff......if i have got anything wrong please correct me ,im no expert

Gorman

Author Level
Yes, been keeping a half closed eye on this for ages. It is very interesting and will no doubt make a dent in the future.

I always remember a quote about it.

"So how does it work"

"We dont know, but it does."

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
(For those who know the difference between computability and complexity: ) quantum computers compute the same functions as classical computers, and are suspected not to be able to solve NP-hard problems in polynomial time.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Its not that they've made one yet, but they think within 5 years that they can, so dont get too excited yet :p

Nemesis

ignoring the fact that no one will be able to afford them what do you think they could be like to game on???

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Here's the article that I first heard it from last night

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/19/uk-research-team-brings-quantum-computing-closer-than-ever-or/

And until they can make GPU's up to the performance level of the computer it self, then it will be better, but not as much as you'd hope. However it is possible to use CPU to do the same job as a GPU, and with it being so much more efficient, possibly gaming would take a giant leap. Not me, nor anyone else will truly be able to tell you what it will be like though, until the day they are created.

Take note of whats at the end of the article though, just like computer hardware now, you wont see the sight of these things commercially for a while after release. Take super-computers as a good example ;)

SOHCAHTOA

So this quantum computing stuff, does that mean that the whole thing is just one big machine that just uses quantum powah or is it like bits of the CPU or RAM will work quantumly?

Gorman

Author Level
is it just me who keep thinking of this reading this thread:

[video=youtube;zjbtZ4NgtdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbtZ4NgtdA[/video]

It is?

ok.

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
I've watched a documentary about Atoms and one of the thing was about Quantum physics and there mentioned that one day computers will run using quantum mechanics and also on photons rather than electron.
As photons are much faster than electrons.

To be honest when it comes to stuff like this I'm a geek.
I don't pretend to understand it, but I do find it very fascinating.
There was this one quait which I realy like.

If you think you understand quantum mechanics then you truly don't understand quantum mechanics

Gorman

Author Level
I think nano technology has a great future in medical and warfare technologies, i cant see many pratical applications for PC's unless its simply making components smaller, which is already in progress with each concurrent die shrink.

greybing

Its not that they've made one yet, but they think within 5 years that they can, so dont get too excited yet :p

no...they have made a simple quantum computer....look it up,it can actually do calculations using mental physics

Last edited:

greybing

ignoring the fact that no one will be able to afford them what do you think they could be like to game on???

the computational power of a quantum computer literally would be mind bogglingly more powerful than current computers....[because of the 3 states they can do ,on,off and on-off.-----look it up,,honestly quantum computers are like comparing the abaccus to 1000'000'000 deep blues[that super computer]-no bull....look on net,they cant do one that powerful yet of course but the theory is sound ,...the problem i think for the people working on it is the engineering.The future will sure be interesting-as for games ....if a proper ,big one was made ,with all that computational power, holo decks maybe[thats if they work out how to do holo decks ,technologically[but the computatational prowess would be there.......im no expert.....if you guys are interested ...look it up

Last edited:

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Sorry greybing, you are right, it had 16 quadbits, was made back in 2007, and it was able to solve a sudoku puzzle. Apparently there needs to be several dozen quadbits to be effective.

greybing

yeah............speaking on quantum physics ,another intriguing fact about quantum mechanics is that stuff can be be in two places at the same time,[i know ,this is weird,].....at test was done,i think with photons and the result of the experiment was that they proved that the protons,photons ,whatever HAD to have been in 2 places simultaneously........this is a fact ....look
it up......this fact now beggs the question that if those particles can be in 2 places at the same time then maybe parallel univereses exist........honestly quantum physics is fascinating and whoeveer said that quote before is dead on the money 'if you thiunk you understand quantum mechanics then you don't'

greybing

yeah,times are changing,the leap from current computational technology to quantum computing will be a big milstone in history,it will change a lot of things ,simply because of the massive computational prowess.....this souns weird but the people working on this say taht the computational power would be near infinite[i know what your thinking but look it up,]quantum physics is a strange subject ,when you go down to the smallest lvels ,strang things happen like particles being in 2 places at once and if you do sommting to one particle in one place the other particle reacts in the same way,im saying all this to try and demonstrate thatmajor weird thingg ACTUALLY HAVE BEEN FOUND TO OCCUR and considering these things ,a computer with near infinite computationnal power is believable........go i go on,soz

Kalisnoir

Super Star
a new photonic chip that works on light rather than traditional electricity

judging by that im not sure, possibly less power needed? Remember Supercomputers only use so much power because there is so many components (several CPU's etc)