Quarry lane descent

barlew

Godlike
There are better and faster descents around the area, the road that goes past lego land is nice and straight with a nice gradient, last time down there just under 38MPH šŸ˜
Just the sort of speeds any sensible person wants to be doing whilst wearing spandex....

Bigfoot

Grand Master
If you want a really fast descent on a bike you could try Hardknott Pass or Wrynose Pass in the Lake District or, up here in Scotland, from the top of the Bealach Na Ba on the Applecross Peninsula or from the Lecht on the Corgarff to Tomintoul road. I donā€™t think your speed would start be in the 30s on those roads, but yo would have a steep climb up to get to the summit. The roads down from the ale hut would give you the straightest descent of this I mentioned.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you want a really fast descent on a bike you could try Hardknott Pass or Wrynose Pass in the Lake District or, up here in Scotland, from the top of the Bealach Na Ba on the Applecross Peninsula or from the Lecht on the Corgarff to Tomintoul road. I donā€™t think your speed would start be in the 30s on those roads, but yo would have a steep climb up to get to the summit. The roads down from the ale hut would give you the straightest descent of this I mentioned.
Man, I need to spend a few weeks roaming around the coast in Scotland! I know so little of it other than Inverness and Edinburgh, but it just sounds so beautiful!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Get your self up to Skye mate. In my humble opinion it is the most beautiful place in these Isles.
Thatā€™s on the bucket list, Iā€™ve seen photos and plenty of people saying it some of the most beautiful coast in the world. May well do it this year actually as wonā€™t be going abroad and that would make a lovely break.

barlew

Godlike
Thatā€™s on the bucket list, Iā€™ve seen photos and plenty of people saying it some of the most beautiful coast in the world. May well do it this year actually as wonā€™t be going abroad and that would make a lovely break.
My parents live on the Isle and I never tire of going up there. It is stunning.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Funny you should say that. A lot of new houses going up there are flat pack.
Flat packs are so good these days as they use much more modern techniques and are far more energy efficient. A couple Iā€™m looking at are Huf House in Germany https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/ at the premium side or a luxury lodge from Omar based near Nottingham https://www.omar.co.uk/luxury-lodges/kingfisher/

I actually went to Omarā€™s factory and saw them being built and the quality is so superior to anything bricks and mortar and for half the cost. Theyā€™re also maintenance free pretty much certainly for a decade or so because of the wood technology they use.

The Huf Houses have an option for smart glass where the glass is actually connected up to the electricity and does clever things where it regulates temperature so you donā€™t need any additional heating, so clever.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
You can see Skye here across the water from Sand on the Applecross peninsula.

47680686801_82ffd945c3_c.jpg

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Mixing it with another thread, Rona has the best venison I have ever tasted. The deer need to be controlled, as the island is limited in size. The stags swim across from Raasay to find the females. The cull on Rona happens earlier in the season and the meat is very tender. Rona is a fantastic, tranquil place. We have only been there on day trips, but it is possible to stay there.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
There are better and faster descents around the area, the road that goes past lego land is nice and straight with a nice gradient, last time down there just under 38MPH šŸ˜
Jeez - I'm shivering at that here!

A friend of mine was doing similar speeds around the back of Howth Head - a beautiful section of steep decline with views across Dublin Bay that is gorgeous even just to pootle along in a car. Anyway, some pedestraians stepped out in front him giving no time to react - and it didn't end well for any of those involved.... :eek:

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Jeez - I'm shivering at that here!

A friend of mine was doing similar speeds around the back of Howth Head - a beautiful section of steep decline with views across Dublin Bay that is gorgeous even just to pootle along in a car. Anyway, some pedestraians stepped out in front him giving no time to react - and it didn't end well for any of those involved.... :eek:
No you have to have your wits about you when doing those types of speeds (and good brakes), a mate of mine warped his rotors a couple of weeks back as they got so hot

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
No you have to have your wits about you when doing those types of speeds (and good brakes), a mate of mine warped his rotors a couple of weeks back as they got so hot
If a dopey peddy steps out as you are passing, having truck brakes installed wouldn't make any difference I expect!

I imagine the road in your video is totally different given the lack of a footpath though? There are places and routes where your chances of such an incident are next to zero really....

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If a dopey peddy steps out as you are passing, having truck brakes installed wouldn't make any difference I expect!

I imagine the road in your video is totally different given the lack of a footpath though? There are places and routes where your chances of such an incident are next to zero really....
Yeah you don't get many pedestrians walking up or down there, as most of them are in the woods