Query for PCS with USB card reader & other USB stuff

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
I got my nice new pc delivered a few days ago.

I have the: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT thing, and initially it all worked fine.

Now, however only the USb 2.0 port works, none of the memory card slots are working. Initially this did work ok.

The front of the unit has 2 led's, normally (if the pc is off they both light up RED, however, once booted, one is red, and the other is a red/green mix. Previously it only showed that if a card was inserted.

I'm a little bit disappointed, as I ordered a motherboard with a load of USB ports. (ASUS® MAXIMUS VI GENE: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0, THX)

Of the 4 usb 2.0 ports on the back (rest are usb 3.0) only 3 work, I wonder if the 4th was diverted to the card reader port?

Additionally the two front loaded usb 2.0 ports that come with the case (COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE) don't appear to be wired up, is this correct?

I already had to take the thing apart as one of the SATA connections had come loose during transit and wasn't showing up in windows.

Anyone have any advice (especially PCS)

I don't particularly want to RMA over a card reader.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The USB ports not being wired up could be a mistake or it could be because the cable doesn't reach or something, would be very odd if that were the case though. I have seen it happen once before where the USB ports were not connected due to a mistake. If that's the case can you locate the wires? Just go ahead and plug them into a USB2.0 header and they should work.

The rear USB ports should be working, if all but one is working then I smell a faulty board. I get a feeling your card reader issues could be related to the USB issues.

It could be a driver issue, but that would be odd if it was previously working correctly, or it could be a component failure.

Have a talk with PCS on the phone, number is in my sig, and see if they can shed some more light.