Query regarding performance - Octane VI 17.3 inch, i9-processor

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry for not reading the whole thread first. [emoji846]

What concerns me through this whole thread is that all your testing is via this CFD application. I really don't know whether the application is configured or even installed properly. I'd like to see how the laptop performs with other benchmarking software before I'd be convinced that the CFD software itself is not the issue.
We had tested with fire strike.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would uninstall any control panels. Go into the Windows power management and set it to maximum performance then go into advanced settings and make sure the CPU limits are 100%.

Reset the BIOS to defaults and then see what you get.

May save you re-installing windows and all your software.... may not.... but nothing to lose.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If there are apparently corrupt Windows files what does sfc /scannow show?

TBH If this were mine I'd have done a clean reinstall long ago. I think that would be the wisest next step to give a known software platform.

Last edited:

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear Scott,

You were correct. Resetting BIOS helped the performance. The man from PCS after reinstalling fresh windows, he performed stress test using prime95 and the CPU Utilisation is upto 82% with 2.89 or 2.92 GHz as clock speed. He mentioned that on Laptops it's hard to achieve 100% performance of CPU. But I didn't understand Uninstalling windows and installing fresh one helped it ?? I think resetting BIOS was enough though :unsure:. But I lost a lot of drivers from that version of windows. Does anyone of you Spydertracks/Ubuysa/scott knows where I can find all drivers ??
I also lost the powerful sound from Sound Blaster pro, and now the volume is reduced 😁. Can you please tell me where I can find all those drivers.

Thank you for your time and efforts. But soon I also have to perform my simulation again as the guy from PCS asked me to perform those test and see if it is working fine or not.

Kind regards

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
If there are apparently corrupt Windows files what does sfc /scannow show?

TBH If this were mine I'd have done a clean reinstall long ago. I think that would be the wisest next step to give a known software platform.

It showed there were some files got corrupted in Windows, it can be repaired, but the PCS guy said to install fresh windows.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Dear Scott,

You were correct. Resetting BIOS helped the performance. The man from PCS after reinstalling fresh windows, he performed stress test using prime95 and the CPU Utilisation is upto 82% with 2.89 or 2.92 GHz as clock speed. He mentioned that on Laptops it's hard to achieve 100% performance of CPU. But I didn't understand Uninstalling windows and installing fresh one helped it ?? I think resetting BIOS was enough though :unsure:. But I lost a lot of drivers from that version of windows. Does anyone of you Spydertracks/Ubuysa/scott knows where I can find all drivers ??
I also lost the powerful sound from Sound Blaster pro, and now the volume is reduced 😁. Can you please tell me where I can find all those drivers.

Thank you for your time and efforts. But soon I also have to perform my simulation again as the guy from PCS asked me to perform those test and see if it is working fine or not.

Kind regards

Is it still running 2.92Ghz now?

That's definitely not right. It's very easy to achieve 100% utilisation so that's not at all accurate unfortunately.

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Is it still running 2.92Ghz now?

That's definitely not right. It's very easy to achieve 100% utilisation so that's not at all accurate unfortunately.

But, he already reset the BIOS and said, it is working better than before. I don't know how should I have convinced him, but he said me that In this OCTANE Series laptops, we will get 80% of utilization only, means he said that for 3.6 GHz processor, I will get 80% of clock speed, so it should be somewhere near 2.9 Ghz, he said like that. I didn't had any words to say him again about it.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
No, that's most certainly not correct. The Octane should be running happily at 5.0Ghz when properly going for it on a single thread.

It's going to be difficult to sort with the language barrier unfortunately.

Something is holding back the system. If you have completely installed windows from Scratch then it's either the BIOS.... or it's a fault.

If you are absolutely certain that the BIOS has been re-set to defaults then it's time to send it back for repair. Do not settle for anything other than a fully performing system. There are limitations with the Octane chassis, with regards to power, but it should still be 4Ghz+ even on the heaviest of loads.

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear Scott,

yes, the BIOS has been reset for sure. Ok, So, I Should I run firestrike now and test it, or may be my CFD software as he said me to run it and check if it's giving performance, but also he said that if I have any problems again, then I can surely contact them.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No, that's most certainly not correct. The Octane should be running happily at 5.0Ghz when properly going for it on a single thread.

It's going to be difficult to sort with the language barrier unfortunately.

Something is holding back the system. If you have completely installed windows from Scratch then it's either the BIOS.... or it's a fault.

If you are absolutely certain that the BIOS has been re-set to defaults then it's time to send it back for repair. Do not settle for anything other than a fully performing system. There are limitations with the Octane chassis, with regards to power, but it should still be 4Ghz+ even on the heaviest of loads.
I’m in full agreement with @Scott here, there’s something throttling the CPU and that’s certainly NOT normal on that chassis, or any chassis for that matter.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Dear Scott,

yes, the BIOS has been reset for sure. Ok, So, I Should I run firestrike now and test it, or may be my CFD software as he said me to run it and check if it's giving performance, but also he said that if I have any problems again, then I can surely contact them.

Run firestrike with HW monitor running then post up the firestrike results along with a screenshot of the HW Monitor output.

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear Scott, Spydertracks, Ubuysa,

Here is the results. And yes, this time the GPU and CPU temepratures increased upto 70 - 80 C and also I heard noise from fans, but why did the test not pass ? I have just 67% (overall) this time.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4)-min.png
    Screenshot (4)-min.png
    377.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot (5)-min.png
    Screenshot (5)-min.png
    416.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot (7)-min.png
    Screenshot (7)-min.png
    410.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot (6)-min.png
    Screenshot (6)-min.png
    471.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot (8)-min.png
    Screenshot (8)-min.png
    401 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot (9)-min.png
    Screenshot (9)-min.png
    436.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot (10)-min.png
    Screenshot (10)-min.png
    392.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot (11)-min.png
    Screenshot (11)-min.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot (12)-min.png
    Screenshot (12)-min.png
    391.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot (13)-min.png
    Screenshot (13)-min.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Continuation of results images...

Attachments

• Screenshot (14)-min.png
    Screenshot (14)-min.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot (15)-min.png
    Screenshot (15)-min.png
    418.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot (16)-min.png
    Screenshot (16)-min.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot (17)-min.png
    Screenshot (17)-min.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot (18)-min.png
    Screenshot (18)-min.png
    411.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot (19)-min.png
    Screenshot (19)-min.png
    423 KB · Views: 126
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    82.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    373 KB · Views: 122

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Here is the results I performed for 2nd time for 30 loops.

Attachments

• Screenshot (21)-min.png
    Screenshot (21)-min.png
    428.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot (20)-min.png
    Screenshot (20)-min.png
    424 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot (22)-min.png
    Screenshot (22)-min.png
    423 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot (23)-min.png
    Screenshot (23)-min.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot (24)-min.png
    Screenshot (24)-min.png
    439 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot (25)-min.png
    Screenshot (25)-min.png
    396.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot (26)-min.png
    Screenshot (26)-min.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot (27)-min.png
    Screenshot (27)-min.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot (28)-min.png
    Screenshot (28)-min.png
    429.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot (29)-min.png
    Screenshot (29)-min.png
    446.7 KB · Views: 112

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Continuation of results 2

Attachments

• Screenshot (30)-min.png
    Screenshot (30)-min.png
    419.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot (31)-min.png
    Screenshot (31)-min.png
    446.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot (32)-min.png
    Screenshot (32)-min.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot (33)-min.png
    Screenshot (33)-min.png
    416 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot (34)-min.png
    Screenshot (34)-min.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot (35)-min.png
    Screenshot (35)-min.png
    433 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot (36)-min.png
    Screenshot (36)-min.png
    455.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot (37)-min.png
    Screenshot (37)-min.png
    442 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot (38)-min.png
    Screenshot (38)-min.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    343.2 KB · Views: 84

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Frequencies look FAR better in firestrike. It wasn't a torture test you were meant to run though.... just a standard firestrike test to see how it looks performance wise.

The torture tests will often vary, on a laptop especially, not sure what that would normally show though.

mohnad

Bronze Level Poster
Dear Scott,

Thank you for your message. How can I perform torture test ? Using prime95 ? Should I perform it as well ?
Actually, The PCS guy who performed stress test on prime95, he checked results on Task Manager and the results I said you about CPU 82% and clock frequency 2.92 GHz was from task Manager. I think I should perform stress test/ torture test using prime95 and see results on HWMonitor. What would you say about it ?

Kind regards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear Scott,

Thank you for your message. How can I perform torture test ? Using prime95 ? Should I perform it as well ?
Actually, The PCS guy who performed stress test on prime95, he checked results on Task Manager and the results I said you about CPU 82% and clock frequency 2.92 GHz was from task Manager. I think I should perform stress test/ torture test using prime95 and see results on HWMonitor. What would you say about it ?

Kind regards
He's saying you DON'T need to run a torture test in Firestrike, just the normal benchmark.