Question about Motherboards

Basically I'm trying to decide whether to get a motherboard with SLI or not. Am I right in saying that a motherboard with SLI can support 2 GPU's and whereas one without SLI can't?
I'm trying to decide whehter to get the Asus P8Z77-V Lx or the Asus P8Z77-V Lk

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Basically I'm trying to decide whether to get a motherboard with SLI or not. Am I right in saying that a motherboard with SLI can support 2 GPU's and whereas one without SLI can't?
I'm trying to decide whehter to get the Asus P8Z77-V Lx or the Asus P8Z77-V Lk

The latter one supports SLI and crossfire, the LX only supports crossfire.

Rakk

The Awesome

Yep, a motherboard with SLI can support 2 NVidia graphics cards (some can do more than 2, but not that many of them)

Crossfire is the name for it for supporting two AMD graphics cards

Yep, a motherboard with SLI can support 2 NVidia graphics cards (some can do more than 2, but not that many of them)

Crossfire is the name for it for supporting two AMD graphics cards

OK thanks, I had no idea what crossfire was :). And can you change the graphics card in a non-SLI motherboard? For example If I wanted to change a gtx 660 to a gtx 670 would that be possible?

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
OK thanks, and can you change the graphics card in a non-SLI motherboard? For example If I wanted to change a gtx 660 to a gtx 670 would that be possible?

Yep, as long as your power supply in the PC is powerful enough to power the new graphics card