Question about Temps and Fans

Adam262

My new PC finally came a few weeks ago now (specs posted below.) I am really happy with it, and having no problems in terms of performance. I have just noticed 2 things. 1) My CPU temps are reaching at points 80 to 85 degrees, is this okay? and 2) I've noticed the PC under a heavy gaming load is extremely loud, is there anything I can do to reduce this?

Thanks in Advance

Case: CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: Corsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Adam262

Case CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserFirefox™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
InsuranceSimplesurance Purchase Protection inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 18 to 21 working days

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
ok, couple of options to get control of those fans, which one you take depends on how comfortable you are messing around in the case:

1. you can download and install fan xpert 4, which is part of AI suite 3 (details in link below) Not a fan of this (pun intended)
  2. if you comfortable messing around in the case, you can remove the fans from the motherboard headers and put them on the fan side of the commander pro, which will then mean you can control them through Icue
The second one is my preference, in fact I went a bit further, but that's another story.........

Out of interest, why did you go for the arctic paste, as those coolers come with a premium paste pre applied?

Last edited:

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
I'd also recommend buying/fitting a new fan at the back to act as a rear exhaust. If that is built how I envision, you won't have much outlet for the hot air at present. (my build is very similar)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd also recommend buying/fitting a new fan at the back to act as a rear exhaust. If that is built how I envision, you won't have much outlet for the hot air at present. (my build is very similar)
That case also comes with 3 front fans anyway, so I'm not sure an extra fan for rear exhaust would add much to the cooling...and mine (in a slightly smaller 220T case but with a 3080Ti) reaches about the same temps as the OP.

The default settings in iCue and on the Asus board are not well optimised for noise/performance...and is why MARTINR36 is suggesting those 2 options.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok this is the fan profile that I'm running in that same case, with a total of 6 fans (3 front, 2 Roof, and one rear), as I've got RGB RAM my rad is mounted behind the front fans, and i put the cooler fans in the roof.

This is with a 5900X hence being a little cooler than the OP's temps (5800X known to be the hottest running of the 5000 series CPU's)

1636372215104.png

Adam262

Can I ask why you would suggest not downloading fan xpert 4 over option 2?

and I was unaware these cpus came with a premium paste applied

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can I ask why you would suggest not downloading fan xpert 4 over option 2?

and I was unaware these cpus came with a premium paste applied
I tried fan xpert 4 & found it awkward to do anything with, I also changed the cooler fans to LL120's and connected everything the commander pro (see the link below) so i could control almost everything through Icue.

Its the coolers that come with the premium paste

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's also better to have a single piece of software controlling the fans (both speed & lighting) than 2, as you don't want to introduce any conflicts.

Adam262

I'm finding a lot of articles and videos talking about the temperatures of the 5800x. One suggestion a lot of people seem to be saying is undervolting the CPU. I just wanted to see if thats something people on here would recommend before I look into it.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm finding a lot of articles and videos talking about the temperatures of the 5800x. One suggestion a lot of people seem to be saying is undervolting the CPU. I just wanted to see if thats something people on here would recommend before I look into it.
I might be wrong but I didn't think you could under volt them, I think best bet it's just to have decent cooling

Adam262

Problem is the temperatures are all over the place. Idling sometimes around 45-50. Installing a game it can reach 70-75. and full load can reach sometimes to almost 90. I understand that AMD have said that normal temperatures for the 5000 series are anywhere under 90 degrees. But surely these temperatures can't be good for longevity. From as far as i'm aware, the 5800x can be undervolted.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Problem is the temperatures are all over the place. Idling sometimes around 45-50. Installing a game it can reach 70-75. and full load can reach sometimes to almost 90. I understand that AMD have said that normal temperatures for the 5000 series are anywhere under 90 degrees. But surely these temperatures can't be good for longevity. From as far as i'm aware, the 5800x can be undervolted.
If your temps are getting that high with that cooler mate then I'd say you have a problem with the cooler itself not the CPU

RichLan564

Bright Spark
My new PC finally came a few weeks ago now (specs posted below.) I am really happy with it, and having no problems in terms of performance. I have just noticed 2 things. 1) My CPU temps are reaching at points 80 to 85 degrees, is this okay? and 2) I've noticed the PC under a heavy gaming load is extremely loud, is there anything I can do to reduce this?

Thanks in Advance

Case: CORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: Corsair H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Is your H100i looking at AIO coolant temperature or CPU package temperature as its sensor ? Can you post a screenshot from ICUe of the H100i coolant tab ?