Question for network buffs

Jamed

Bronze Level Poster
Looking to get a 500mbps+ connection to a building that is over 300 meters away and on the other side of a main road with no clear line of sight. How would someone do this?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Looking to get a 500mbps+ connection to a building that is over 300 meters away and on the other side of a main road with no clear line of sight. How would someone do this?

What's the budget?

What sort of a connection do you need? TCP/IP?

Last edited:

RType23

Bronze Level Poster
A pair of managed layer 2 or 3 switches either side of a 2 or 3 x pair of high power access points using differing channels. If you're not pushed for address space I think you may be able to run layer 2 and aggregate the links using layer two switches, if not it gets a little more complicated having to route traffic, with a routing protocol load balancing across the multiple links. I say multiple as afik the best you will get is 300mbps per pair. Also, may depend how wifi noisy the environment is. I don't believe you'd need any RF clearance for the power outputs of the units, TP Links operate at 500mw for example, but it'd be worth checking just in case.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A pair of managed layer 2 or 3 switches either side of a 2 or 3 x pair of high power access points using differing channels. If you're not pushed for address space I think you may be able to run layer 2 and aggregate the links using layer two switches, if not it gets a little more complicated having to route traffic, with a routing protocol load balancing across the multiple links. I say multiple as afik the best you will get is 300mbps per pair. Also, may depend how wifi noisy the environment is. I don't believe you'd need any RF clearance for the power outputs of the units, TP Links operate at 500mw for example, but it'd be worth checking just in case.

Interesting, but the OP is asking for 500Mbps plus and I don't think he's ever going to get close to that with a wireless solution....?