Question on RAM - 4 Sticks V 2 in AMD build from 2020

Aza

Rising Star
I know i've got a thread about upgrades already, but wanted to specifically look into the issue of RAM and 4 sticks vs with my build
So, i'm running windows 10 right now, and have been reluctant to upgrade to 11 as there was a lot of talk about issues with AMD (i've heard they have since sorted those but any further insight would be appreciated, particularly if it may affect RAM choice)

Im going to upgrade to 32GB but wondering if I should make the extra investment to get 32 as 2x16GB, or just buy two more 8GB
Two more 8GB is roughly £65, or £125 for 2 x 16GB. Im ok with the prices on that.

So, questions,
Firstly, there were issues about AMD not being overly fond of 4 x 3600MHz and some glitches with it, is that still an issue?

Secondly, ignoring the 3600MHz bit, its flipped back and forth with different CPU generations, is a 2 stick configuration better than a 4 stick, or the other way around? (I seem to remember the 3000 Series being better with 2 sticks? and the 5000 series preferring 4)

Thirdly, I'm leaning towards two sticks just because it leaves room for further upgrade....it's unlikely I will but I do play with video editing, if I get more into it RAM is a benefit, also my partner does do a LOT more with video editing (but he is a Apple fanboy)... if I had the option of 64GB its not beyond the realms of possibility that he could use my system as he uses the same software...so i'm thinking about the value of leaving that door open and going for a two stick option.

Main concern is whats going to work best with my system, 2 or 4 sticks, and if there are any issues with 4 sticks at 3600MHz still....

My current spec is this:
Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT Eight Core CPU (4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
Additional Storage
2 x 500GB SSD drives, one used for cloud storage/sync and the other is a scratch drive for Adobe stuff like photoshop, premiere pro etc
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED (Im on Win 10 Pro)
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You seem to do a lot of over-thinking :D

With your situation, it makes more sense to simply add 2x8gb sticks. There are performance gains to be had with 4 slots being filled, but they're fairly marginal. You don't see any down side. If you decided that you wanted to upgrade the RAM again, down the line, then I would simply swap out the whole lot at that particular point, rather than needlessly spending extra now and then.

The issues that you mention were primarily early firmware issues with the X570 motherboard. They are long since sorted.

Aza

Rising Star
Thats good to know.
I just want to make sure ive covered all my bases, particuilarly since I havent really kept up with any of this stuff for more than a year..

Really do appreciate the help.