Questions About Steam??

Frobbet

Hi Everyone,

I ask you now to forgive my ignorance, But Im new to PC gaming, Well proper PC gaming. I came across something the other day, Just bought Shogun Total War 2 and all the reviews on amazon were good but they all had one thing in common, that the compulsory subscription to steam was the drawback, now I work off shore and don't always have access to the Internet, form what a friend has told me if your not connected to the internet you cant play Steam games!! is this true, and if so is it possible to turn it off?? As you might imagine it would be a really annoying situation being unable to chill out after a 12 hour shift playing a offline game because a company that has rights to it insists that you be online!! kinda defeats the point!!
Any help would be good
Thanks
Frobbet

Last edited:

Bigtruck20

Silver Level Poster
As Keynes has already said, you can play most games from steam offline without the need of using an internet connection, the only thing you need an internet connection for is obviously downloading the game from steam but most games that have offline modes will not require you to use the internet the only time i think you would need the use off the internet is if the game requires an update to play the game and you would need the internet to update the game.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It only updates when there is an Internet connection, even if an update is available you can still play offline, same with origin and uplay.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
To elaborate more...

1aRODbo.png

bigben

Master Poster
I tried to go on football manager in a car a few years ago and it didn't let me because I was offline. Have they changed it?

The people who moan about steam or give a game a 1* review because you need steam should get a grip, they are moaning for the sake of moaning. I like steam, it makes gaming much easier - Once you have registered a game (even if it came on a disc), you can download it on your other computers that have steam on, you don't need to mess about looking for updates etc. , they have sales with excellent deals, all your steam games are easily accessible in the library.

nikhkin

I've never had an issue with playing a game offline, and I have a very unreliable connection. Others have told me there is a maximum "offline time" but I haven't encountered it myself

Frobbet

To be honest i have no experience of steam at all, from what iv seen and read it sounds like a really good idea that works well!!
"Bigben" i agree with you on the reviewing of a game, if you are reviewing the games performance itself there is no reason to give it a bad mark on something that is unrelated, or something that you have a grudge against for one reason or another, you may as well give it a bad review for not having good cover art on the packaging for all the relevance it has to the way it plays!!
I was more worried about being locked out while off shore due to my ignorance of the steam system, but if this isnt the case than Thumbs well up :).

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Not only that frobbet.....but it's a good place to find gaming friends and chat etc....

When you do get steam installed.....my steam name is MSPORTBMW if you wanna add me.

Frobbet

Ye that is one thing that iv noticed, just set up an account its a massive gaming community on it!!! didn't realize it was quite as big as it is!!!
Ye sounds good, will do that.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I hated the notion of Steam back when Sports Interactive made it mandatory to activate FM through Steam, but I only used my PC to play FM back then. When you have a gaming rig Steam is one the best inventions ever.