Quick Query

Jon_Boy

Hi guys,

A quick query on the status of my order. It is currently in Quality Control, and has been since 14th Oct. Since the website reckons that should take 1-2 days I was hoping to find out if there had been a problem, and possibly for some extra feedback on what its status is.

Thanks

Jon

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
There was a problem in QC - it didn't satisfy our stress tests and has therefore been held up. It's currently being tested again and should it pass we hope to dispatch it very soon.

Jon_Boy

Thanks for checking that out for me. I figured it was something like that. I've waited this long, so another couple of days won't hurt :). It helps to know exactly what is happening with it. I must admit I've been very impressed with the whole experience so far, and am looking forward to getting my new rig.

The only thing that could maybe be improved is the feedback when a delay occurs, such as this QC holdup. I imagine most people who buy from you are sat in front of their computer checking their order status every day, and when it gets held up, it is hard to know what is happening. I'm much happier knowing it has gone back into testing, than I was waiting for it to change to awaiting delivery, mainly because I've a much better picture of where it is in the system. I don't know if this is really feasible though as you guys already give more feedback than most other places I imagine.

Sleinous

Author Level
Any feedback is useful to them as they know what could be tweaked. Should be with you next week then! :)

Jon_Boy

I hope so. I've got a busy weekend so it isn't the end of the world it not coming before the weekend. I've had to order this after my graphics card on my current PC managed to blow itself up. Currently stuck with 640x480 in 4 bit colour....

Last edited:

Jon_Boy

No Aero, no gaming, no video playback (well, at least that is watchable). Even more annoying is it blew up a mere 30 minutes after I'd started playing Civ V. Fair enough my computer struggled quite badly with it, but then the nVidia driver update somehow caused it to implode. Lots of people have apparently had a similar issue, so I figured it was toast and to bring forward upgrade time.

Sleinous

Author Level
Keep an eye on Nvidia forums incase they are generous enough to replace it. Was there not another driver update that destroyed some gpus before?

Jon_Boy

Keep an eye on Nvidia forums incase they are generous enough to replace it. Was there not another driver update that destroyed some gpus before?

I think I read something about that, but not sure. It is quite old now (almost 4 years). It was an 8800 GTS 320MB. I'm guessing the driver update messed up something, so that when it got stressed, it somehow overheated perhaps. Now there are permanent lines on the screen, even when in the BIOS, so definitely a hardware issue. I'm no expert of GPUs though so could be wrong. Either way, I used it as a sign that I should buy a new PC...

Sleinous

Author Level
Ooh, did it dispatch yesterday afternoon? If so, should be with you today. I see you posted at 10am, should have left at 4ish.

Jon_Boy

Ooh, did it dispatch yesterday afternoon? If so, should be with you today. I see you posted at 10am, should have left at 4ish.

It did indeed. It is currently out for delivery according to DHL. I'm expecting arrival sometime before lunch.

Only annoying thing is I'm at work now, and quite busy this weekend so won't get a chance to give it a full run out until sunday. It's almost here though, and that's what counts.

Here are the more important bits of the spec since I haven't posted them before:

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£59)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)

Jon_Boy

Near identical spec to mine except case, psu mobo. Pity no 1000w psu, could have sli'd 2 gtx470s :p

True. If I decide to go down that route I'll just have to replace the PSU as well. Probably won't though.

I am thinking in about 6 months or so about getting an SSD once they've come down a bit, and probably getting a new monitor (currently a 22" 1680x1050).

Rakk

The Awesome
Cool that its arrived.

I had a similar problem when mine arrived, I had to go straight out to work and spent all day wishing I'd booked the day off :)