Quick question about battery removal - Defiance Series

cj1

Chassis: Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920 x 1080)

Hi! I have had this laptop for about a year and a half now and always looked after it (hard surfaces no dust you know) and anyway I'm pleased with it, it does everything I want it to.

I opened it up for some regular cleaning yesterday and realised hang on, I almost never use the battery, I permanently have this laptop plugged in. (Performance when gaming does suffer pretty badly on battery only, but I'm not too fussed about that). Anyway, I decided on the spur of the moment to remove the battery, which was a simple enough task. I figured with no battery, the laptop itself should run slightly cooler and of course weigh a little less too. Given that the laptop is always plugged in, this seemed a no-brainer.

What I want to know here is:

a) Firstly, am I even correct in assuming that removing the battery will help it run cooler? Perhaps the space where the battery was will just collect with hot air and not actually make any difference?

and more importantly

b) Can I do any damage to the internals by removing the battery and running on power? Is there a possibility of warping or anything like that?

Just to clarify, I wasn't having any problem with temps before. On a long gaming session my CPU would run to 88 max, which is I think in range these days. Any answers to my questions would be great as well as any additional knowledge people who know more may want to contribute. Thank you in advance!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Chassis: Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920 x 1080)

Hi! I have had this laptop for about a year and a half now and always looked after it (hard surfaces no dust you know) and anyway I'm pleased with it, it does everything I want it to.

I opened it up for some regular cleaning yesterday and realised hang on, I almost never use the battery, I permanently have this laptop plugged in. (Performance when gaming does suffer pretty badly on battery only, but I'm not too fussed about that). Anyway, I decided on the spur of the moment to remove the battery, which was a simple enough task. I figured with no battery, the laptop itself should run slightly cooler and of course weigh a little less too. Given that the laptop is always plugged in, this seemed a no-brainer.

What I want to know here is:

a) Firstly, am I even correct in assuming that removing the battery will help it run cooler? Perhaps the space where the battery was will just collect with hot air and not actually make any difference?

and more importantly

b) Can I do any damage to the internals by removing the battery and running on power? Is there a possibility of warping or anything like that?

Just to clarify, I wasn't having any problem with temps before. On a long gaming session my CPU would run to 88 max, which is I think in range these days. Any answers to my questions would be great as well as any additional knowledge people who know more may want to contribute. Thank you in advance!
I wouldn’t remove the battery, a lot of modern builds don’t fare well with the battery removed even when running of the mains.

Removing the battery won’t help temps at all.

I’d always suggest if you always use it on mains, leave the battery in, but turn the power supply off at the wall when it’s not in use otherwise the battery will trickle charge when not in use which can degrade the battery.