Quiet case advice

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I'm gonna butt in a little, was thinking of swapping my 1TB PCS m.2 for a 980 1TB, but does anyone know if they're currently in stock? Configurator has it selectable and doesn't say anything about it not being in at the moment
They’ve had a delivery 👍

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Great, using my 6th sense, I want to believe that my build is coming before january, so I'll swap the PCS m.2 for the 980 and use my current 970 as a secondary drive! Too many posts about 980 and its speed, I couldn't resist
Excellent move, the 980 is a very desirable drive to have and I will be a little bit jealous of your boot times 😜

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
ooh, now when I tried to do the amendment, the 980 1TB is on orange, was expected on 12-10, but is overdue
I’ve spoken to two people today that have successfully swapped in the 500GB versions... so either the 1TB are running late or everyone has had the same idea, done a switcheroo and stock has already dwindled. You might want to get on live chat in the morning and find out what the state of affairs is, it’d be pure conjecture on my part 🤷‍♂️

kozuki

Enthusiast
I’ve spoken to two people today that have successfully swapped in the 500GB versions... so either the 1TB are running late or everyone has had the same idea, done a switcheroo and stock has already dwindled. You might want to get on live chat in the morning and find out what the state of affairs is, it’d be pure conjecture on my part 🤷‍♂️
I might try that, don't want to ruin my chances of getting the PC this year by last minute swapping to something that's not in stock!

snappyhappy2015

The Rog Strix has dual M.2 slots so you’re all good there.

An AIO cooler is pretty much a necessity on the 12 core chips in order to keep them performing optimally, I generally wouldn’t have air cooling on anything above 6 core. Why’s the reason you’re not keen on them? The Corsair ones are fantastic, I’ve had my H100i running pretty much constantly since purchase and it’s given me no bother at all.

You can always add more storage easily later on, in my opinion it’s more important to get the fundamentals of the build bang on first time.
Looking at a number of tests from the likes of Tech Jesus { Steve at GamersNexus :) } .Whilst under stress testing on multi-core CPU’s the higher end AIO’s do indeed do better the middle of the road models such as the H100i PRO the differences in temps are not that big a deal. As ever it is a swings and roundabouts deal, I am happy to exchange a few degrees higher temp under load. For ,in essence silent performance the rest of the time. If you are doing overclocking and seeking to squeeze out every last drop then high end AIO’s are the way to go.

Looking at the temp results and power usage of un-overclocked AMD 5950x for example it’s power usage is pretty low. Even on threadripper CPU's the Noctua's do a very good job. These videos from Wendell {Level1Techs } and Steve { GamersNexus } are interesting for those of us chickens who are more interested in quietness over max performance . Though I do some 4k video editing the vast majority of my time on the PC , silence wins hands down. :)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 143
  • jsjs.png
    jsjs.png
    237 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looking at a number of tests from the likes of Tech Jesus { Steve at GamersNexus :) } .Whilst under stress testing on multi-core CPU’s the higher end AIO’s do indeed do better the middle of the road models such as the H100i PRO the differences in temps are not that big a deal. As ever it is a swings and roundabouts deal, I am happy to exchange a few degrees higher temp under load. For ,in essence silent performance the rest of the time. If you are doing overclocking and seeking to squeeze out every last drop then high end AIO’s are the way to go.

Looking at the temp results and power usage of un-overclocked AMD 5950x for example it’s power usage is pretty low. Even on threadripper CPU's the Noctua's do a very good job. These videos from Wendell {Level1Techs } and Steve { GamersNexus } are interesting for those of us chickens who are more interested in quietness over max performance . Though I do some 4k video editing the vast majority of my time on the PC , silence wins hands down. :)

Did you take note of the case and fan setup that they had to allow the air cooler to function at such a level? Just be sure to have exactly the same setup to find exactly the same results. I think you'll find yourself having an "oh" moment once you realise.

They are absolutely using the right methods to show performance of the stand alone coolers side by side, but as I have said for years.... that's not real world usage. Having a cooler actively move air through the case instead of around it will have a far higher potential than another.

I'm literally sick to the back teeth of explaining this to people so as long as you are individually choosing this for yourself and not recommending it to others, I'm happy to let you make your decision based on whatever reasoning you see fit :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Also, a Noctua running hard to try and keep the temps down is going to be significantly noisier than a H100/115i RGB Platinum (Which comes with ML fans). It's been proven in similar tests, but I tend not to read too much into those either. I prefer to see it for myself.

snappyhappy2015

I am certainly not recommending it to others :) I am simply pointing that there are other usage cases , not everyone needs or wants to overclock for the vast majority of my time on the PC , I value silence above all else . I was giving my use case with silence for 95% of the time when I am not doing anything taxing and a few extra degrees in temp { way under the maximum safe temps recommended by the CPU makers } . When I am doing anything taxing editing videos / some gaming whatever I will be wearing headphones so the extra sound is not an issue.

Both Steve at GN and Wedell at level1techs are both highly respected , highly knowledgeable tech channels . I and many many others are happy to take the results from these guys as accurate and reliable. No AIO is as silent when not on heavy load as Noctua fans, under load the AIO wins for sure regarding both cooling and noise . If I was a business/ hardcore user and used my computer for intensive processing for large chunks of time I would certainly go with the AIO option. There are numerous articles and videos { using all kinds of set-ups } , that demonstrate in less demanding use scenarios, surfing the net, office work, simple photo editing , casual lower end gaming etc that Noctua fans provide an excellent high quality option . Silence is golden after all :)

Naturally if my new PC bursts in too flames with smoke pouring out . I will be back here crying like a baby :) I will find out soon enough as I just got an email from PCS telling me my system is in the testing phase . I very much appreciate the advice given by the clearly knowledgeable mods here . I was not intending to step on any toes or disagree with the general advice. My current PCS system from 2016 { i7 6700k, 1070ti ,32gb RAM} in a Fractal R5 runs silent when I am surfing ,doing office work , casual games, using Photoshop etc. When rendering 4k video or playing more intensive games Doom eternal of late the noise certainly ratchets up . With the door open and noctua the temps are well within acceptable though if I was not wearing headphones the noise would be irksome for me :) Doom eternal, is a lot of fun and seems to be extremely well optimised unlike some . I was looking at some the reviews of Cyberpunk 2077 , perhaps they should have delayed it a while longer

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I am certainly not recommending it to others :) I am simply pointing that there are other usage cases , not everyone needs or wants to overclock for the vast majority of my time on the PC , I value silence above all else . I was giving my use case with silence for 95% of the time when I am not doing anything taxing and a few extra degrees in temp { way under the maximum safe temps recommended by the CPU makers } . When I am doing anything taxing editing videos / some gaming whatever I will be wearing headphones so the extra sound is not an issue.

Both Steve at GN and Wedell at level1techs are both highly respected , highly knowledgeable tech channels . I and many many others are happy to take the results from these guys as accurate and reliable. No AIO is as silent when not on heavy load as Noctua fans, under load the AIO wins for sure regarding both cooling and noise . If I was a business/ hardcore user and used my computer for intensive processing for large chunks of time I would certainly go with the AIO option. There are numerous articles and videos { using all kinds of set-ups } , that demonstrate in less demanding use scenarios, surfing the net, office work, simple photo editing , casual lower end gaming etc that Noctua fans provide an excellent high quality option . Silence is golden after all :)

Naturally if my new PC bursts in too flames with smoke pouring out . I will be back here crying like a baby :) I will find out soon enough as I just got an email from PCS telling me my system is in the testing phase . I very much appreciate the advice given by the clearly knowledgeable mods here . I was not intending to step on any toes or disagree with the general advice. My current PCS system from 2016 { i7 6700k, 1070ti ,32gb RAM} in a Fractal R5 runs silent when I am surfing ,doing office work , casual games, using Photoshop etc. When rendering 4k video or playing more intensive games Doom eternal of late the noise certainly ratchets up . With the door open and noctua the temps are well within acceptable though if I was not wearing headphones the noise would be irksome for me :) Doom eternal, is a lot of fun and seems to be extremely well optimised unlike some . I was looking at some the reviews of Cyberpunk 2077 , perhaps they should have delayed it a while longer

I appreciate you writing all of that but you haven't taken on board any of my points of contention. You appear to have skirted over what I wrote making pre-assumptions about my knowledge and understanding. It doesn't matter if you use Steve or Albert Einstein to counter what I've said if you haven't actually read or understood it.

Steve et al do their testing on a bench chassis, not in a case. An air cooler's limitations come into play when housed in a plastic/metal box, rather than when being open air. In actual fact, given the thermodynamic abilities of an air cooler, I'm surprised that the air coolers don't perform better than the AIOs when on a bench, I guess that just shows how far AIOs have came over the years. Their tests, as I have already said, are very fair and a good way of comparing how the technologies perform without any other limiting factors (ie an actual case).

With regards to the noise. Again, you seem to be making some wild leaps yet again. The bench testing I have seen have the H115i RGB Platinum at the lowest dB levels available in the tested chassis. A good few dB below the Noctua. In fact, like for like on the temperature deltas the H115i can almost be in zero fan mode.

Quick tid bit..... when I built my system I thought my cooler was broken because my entire system was eerily silent.

I have said my piece on all this now, yet again *sigh*. I genuinely feel like a fairy dies each time this comes up and the only way to save it is to attempt to educate.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I appreciate you writing all of that but you haven't taken on board any of my points of contention. You appear to have skirted over what I wrote making pre-assumptions about my knowledge and understanding. It doesn't matter if you use Steve or Albert Einstein to counter what I've said if you haven't actually read or understood it.

Steve et al do their testing on a bench chassis, not in a case. An air cooler's limitations come into play when housed in a plastic/metal box, rather than when being open air. In actual fact, given the thermodynamic abilities of an air cooler, I'm surprised that the air coolers don't perform better than the AIOs when on a bench, I guess that just shows how far AIOs have came over the years. Their tests, as I have already said, are very fair and a good way of comparing how the technologies perform without any other limiting factors (ie an actual case).

With regards to the noise. Again, you seem to be making some wild leaps yet again. The bench testing I have seen have the H115i RGB Platinum at the lowest dB levels available in the tested chassis. A good few dB below the Noctua. In fact, like for like on the temperature deltas the H115i can almost be in zero fan mode.

Quick tid bit..... when I built my system I thought my cooler was broken because my entire system was eerily silent.

I have said my piece on all this now, yet again *sigh*. I genuinely feel like a fairy dies each time this comes up and the only way to save it is to attempt to educate.
It’s perhaps time to make a sticky on the subject like @SpyderTracks did with the AMD vs Intel. Much easier to point someone in the direction of a thread than to have your sanity eroded every few weeks 🤪

kozuki

Enthusiast
stepping back from all this air vs liquid banter, what are the forum thoughts on enmotus fuzedrive? I was looking into the 1.6TB version since 980 is out of stock, it seems like an interesting take with the 128GB SLC as I work with video editing and music pruduction/sound editing

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
stepping back from all this air vs liquid banter, what are the forum thoughts on enmotus fuzedrive? I was looking into the 1.6TB version since 980 is out of stock, it seems like an interesting take with the 128GB SLC as I work with video editing and music pruduction/sound editing

If that's what I think it is it's already been done with Hybrid drives and Optane drives. I'm not a fan of either to be honest as I don't think you get enough of the benefit of speed to warrant the purchase.

IMO it's better to bite the bullet and get as good a M2 drive as you can reasonably afford. It doesn't need to be the 980, the likes of the PCS branded option is still crazy quick.

For video editing & music/production work I would ALWAYS have a reasonably fast secondary drive as well as a blisteringly fast primary. 500GB covers the primary just fine and allows for around 250GB of space without any slowdown at all. The secondary drive I would aim for 1TB and be less concerned about filling it.

kozuki

Enthusiast
If that's what I think it is it's already been done with Hybrid drives and Optane drives. I'm not a fan of either to be honest as I don't think you get enough of the benefit of speed to warrant the purchase.

IMO it's better to bite the bullet and get as good a M2 drive as you can reasonably afford. It doesn't need to be the 980, the likes of the PCS branded option is still crazy quick.

For video editing & music/production work I would ALWAYS have a reasonably fast secondary drive as well as a blisteringly fast primary. 500GB covers the primary just fine and allows for around 250GB of space without any slowdown at all. The secondary drive I would aim for 1TB and be less concerned about filling it.
Thing is that I currently am using a 1TB 970 EVO drive, it's my first and only m.2 so I have no reference to compare it to anything, but it's been good for me, so I would transfer it to the 2nd slot anyway, was just thinking if it's worth keeping this as my system drive and use PCS for fast storage (games and similar not 1st importance stuff), or get the 980 and make it the system drive while keeping 970 as my 2nd. I don't mind upgrading to 980 if it's available on time, just pondering if it's worth the money or if I could just keep using the 970

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thing is that I currently am using a 1TB 970 EVO drive, it's my first and only m.2 so I have no reference to compare it to anything, but it's been good for me, so I would transfer it to the 2nd slot anyway, was just thinking if it's worth keeping this as my system drive and use PCS for fast storage (games and similar not 1st importance stuff), or get the 980 and make it the system drive while keeping 970 as my 2nd. I don't mind upgrading to 980 if it's available on time, just pondering if it's worth the money or if I could just keep using the 970
The PCS M.2 is very good value for money, I have 2 in my PC & 1 in my laptop

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
500GB 980 with a 1TB 970 Evo as fast storage for your audio work & as a cache for the video work would be nirvana to be honest :D

Gavras

Master Poster
It’s perhaps time to make a sticky on the subject like @SpyderTracks did with the AMD vs Intel. Much easier to point someone in the direction of a thread than to have your sanity eroded every few weeks 🤪
Yes could be an idea.

there does seem to be a bit of a ‘Fanboy’ thing with air coolers and a lack of understanding AIO in general and also Liquid cooling.

For me case and cooling, are like PSU’s, a critical often poorly financed area by buyers focused purely on cash for gfx cards to be used on poorly financed screens. (Financed as in % of total budget for system).

The potential effect of temperature on capacitor life is critical to a PC.

capacitor life used to be every 10c rise in temperature reduce life by half.

Between Poscaps and MLCC, the latter are more dependant on temperatures and if hitting high temps start failing to remain in tolerance and greater risk of failing.

The Strix cards really need watching as these are all MLCC ....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'd never heard of Fuzedrive until this post so I've just spent some time reading about it. I would never use nor recommend this kind of 'solution'.

Despite them saying that they use AI to monitor your data usage patterns (everybody says they're using AI these days) the advantage of this is entirely dependent on your data access patterns being sufficiently regular that all your active data stays on the SSD. What they don't say is that an 'SSD miss' (ie. the wanted data not being on the SSD) will result in a (slow) read to the HDD.

This is very much like cached drives (despite what they claim) and Optane. It's a fudge for lower end systems which can't afford to upgrade to a decent sized SSD for all data. TBH if all your active data fits on the SSD then put your active data on there to start with and save the cost of the Fuzedrive license!

The key with choosing data drives is to understand your data. You need to know, or have a good idea, which data requires very fast response times - this is usually large files that must be loaded quickly; 4k images for example. Which data doesn't need the speed of an SSD at all and which should be on an HDD - this is data processed in real human time; music and video files for example. All other data is perfectly fine on either a SATA SSD or only a lower end M.2 SSD (using ACHI).

More drives is always better (because it reduces queueing) and you need the most appropriate drives for your data access requirements. Fudges like Fuzedrive have no place in a properly organised data storage configuration.

kozuki

Enthusiast
This has given me too much to think about while I wait for the PC! 500GB 980 used as a system drive sounds good, but ideally I'd like to maximize the storage and go 1TB, but that's unavailable and i'd have to go through the trouble of cloning my system from my current 970 onto the new drive (I know, I know, but i'm impatient after all this waiting!). If only there was a 3rd m.2 slot, I could just buy the 980 later if I feel like it!