R9 290 Cuts out. I think it's overheating but cant be sure.

jonlofty

So I have started getting this issue when play (Watch Dogs) currently but it has happened in other games (even the original Witcher). WHere the graphics Card just cuts out.

I got the PC in February with below specs:
Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM TROOPER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card 4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 290 - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
1st Hard Disk 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW) (Special Offer)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
3rd Hard Disk NONE
4th Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans 1 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

I can't play for more than say 15mins when the screen goes black. I can hear the fan revving up in the card to cool it, then it just stops, the screen goes black (no signal).

Now admittedly we are having a good summer finally (in Scotland) so the house is about 24 Celsius (House is usually around 17-18). But I have played watch dogs before at max settings for hours with no issue. I've tried googling for similarissue, but to no avail.

I have recently had 2 driver updated for the Card, so I don't know if that messed something up? But I'm looking for some clarification of what might be causing the issue. Is my card just goosed?

EDIT: I can't seem to run any GPU temp programs (they either BSOD on Windows 8 or don't run)

I have just noticed The Large topfan on my case doesn't appear to be spinning... this is probably drastically reducing airflow ( No idea if it has ever worked? the pc doesn't seem any quieter so presuming not)

I'm going to phone PCS for an RMA tomorrow but just wanted to check here incase it's something I've missed.

Thanks for any help!

JonLofty

EDIT 2: I've now managed to run GPU-Z and it reports the card was at 94 degrees, which although it seriously hot to touch. From what I have read online appears to be standard operating temperature under load.
So I am baffled now as to what the issue is if it isn't overheating. And if it is overheating, then why can my card not run at 94/95 Degrees when all other seem to?

Last edited:

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
Had the same issue with the first R9 290 l had, turned out the memory on the card was causing black screen of death when trying to do any gaming. 2nd R9 290 working like a charm. The card was bought from another Online store who replaced it as it was a known issue.

However this loss of signal happened within minutes of gaming with my card.

Most likely it is a driver issue with your card, a lot of people have had issues with 14.1 and have reverted back to 13.12 which cured the problem.

They also removed the Trixx software (you may not have this installed) and MSI afterburner.

It maybe worth using DDU 12.2 to remove the drives you have installed atm and re-install a known stable driver for your R9 290.