Radeon 5870

Blaze

What would you reccomend the overclock settings for a 5870 provided little to no real voltage increase needed.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Blaze

Unfortunately we don't provide OC settings for graphics cards, only CPU's :(

Maybe our other forum members might help, but we can't support this unfortunately, and you need to be careful not to damage the card as we can't cover this under warranty.

Matt

Bright Spark
As PCS says, messing with the volts is risky, even if you know what you're doing. If you have a stock 5870 you should be able to get a nice hefty overclock out of it without even touching the volts and not ruining your warranty.

Blaze

Yeah i didnt really wanna mess with the voltage at all i was just curious to what would be the reccomended overclock to get more performance without increasing the voltage and whilst keeping it stable and cool.

Matt

Bright Spark
You can overclock it using ATI OVerdrive, you can also test your overclocks with overdrive. However, nothing stresses the card like intense 3d gaming. Best to increase the core first a bit and test for 30 minutes. If there is no crashing rinse and repeat until you find your limit. Then do the same for the memory.

ATI's memory timings are normally pretty tight, so id imagine you will get most performance from clocking the core.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
So how come you don't overclock GPU's here PCS? I was wondering this before.

We may offer this service in the future. However, we'd be looking at custom GPU coolers and liquid cooling, and it would therefore only really be worth it if you were overclocking the flagship card, because the cost of overclocking say a 5850 would make it more expensive than a 5870.

It's also very easy to fry a card, and the manufacturer would never accept a GPU back that was overclocked, so each time one failed we'd have to buy a new card...

Blaze

Also whats the maximum temp you'd reccomend the 5870 to reach when gaming settings are on regular and on ffxiv benchmark on high id hit a max of 66c i assume i could change the fan settings higher to cool the card but is 66 to high or is that acceptable?

LDUK

Master Poster
We may offer this service in the future. However, we'd be looking at custom GPU coolers and liquid cooling, and it would therefore only really be worth it if you were overclocking the flagship card, because the cost of overclocking say a 5850 would make it more expensive than a 5870.

It's also very easy to fry a card, and the manufacturer would never accept a GPU back that was overclocked, so each time one failed we'd have to buy a new card...

Ahh that makes sense.

You know CoolIT have made a good Universal GPU cooler. Like the CPU one. And it's had good reviews.
[video=youtube;GzQZ7SLnHoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQZ7SLnHoo[/video]

Gorman

Author Level
Ahh that makes sense.

You know CoolIT have made a good Universal GPU cooler. Like the CPU one. And it's had good reviews.
[video=youtube;GzQZ7SLnHoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQZ7SLnHoo[/video]

Yeah man Barry has been here with his box of tricks and given us a demo.

Who knows when / if we will pick this up but its a pretty cool idea, theyre releasing some other cool toys too which i hope we start carrying soon.

Sweeney47

it does make me laugh on my 5870 that after 2 hours or so of Bad Company 2 I quit and the maximum temp my GPU reached was 66Deg... when my 8800GTX used to Idle at 65 :D

Matt

Bright Spark
Pigboots-Haters-gonna-hate.jpg

Also, my 500th post.

500 posts of absolute quality, packed full of vital information...

whistling.jpg