Radeon HD 8970M Now Available to Order

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I know this will be asked at some point but do you know or will you be trying out the Vortex 2 with one of these cards to see if it works?

Or am i going to have to buy a new one :p

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It's all down to the bios and whether we can get the BIOS to work. I would say it is going to be very difficult to get this to work, so it may be a case of buying a new laptop...

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
It's all down to the bios and whether we can get the BIOS to work. I would say it is going to be very difficult to get this to work, so it may be a case of buying a new laptop...

Cool, thanks for the reply, im working on a desktop to get from you soon but it was just with trying to keep my lappy going as long as possible.

rickne

Master Poster
What about the Vortex 3. This goes for the 780m too. Ive asked constantly but to no avail. I know its possible but whether you'll do it or not is another question.

Saparasa

Is it not possible for the chassis and mobo used in the Optimus V to support this? Because I'm not sure of what the difference is between the two but the Optimus is a lot cheaper.

Looner

Bronze Level Poster
Before I ordered my laptop on Monday, I asked if this was coming soon and was told it'll take a few weeks still. Two days later and it appears. However, I don't consider it such a big disaster because the card is more expensive than the 770 I bought and will likely perform to its price b/w the 770 and 780 with some questionable drivers.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Is it not possible for the chassis and mobo used in the Optimus V to support this? Because I'm not sure of what the difference is between the two but the Optimus is a lot cheaper.

I am afraid not, the Optimus GPU is on the motherboard and the Vortex board is in a PCIe(variant) port.

Miyata

Before I ordered my laptop on Monday, I asked if this was coming soon and was told it'll take a few weeks still. Two days later and it appears. However, I don't consider it such a big disaster because the card is more expensive than the 770 I bought and will likely perform to its price b/w the 770 and 780 with some questionable drivers.

I'm in the same situation. But I wouldn't probably have upgraded anyway, due to the reasons you have said. However the price has dropped by £20-40 for my order now.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
moosEh did you see my post mate ;) Ive been searching for an answer for some time now.

As far as I know the 780 would also have the same problem of conflicting BIOS. We have not tried it yet as it is a relatively new card. I have my doubts however whether it will work properly.

rickne

Master Poster
As far as I know the 780 would also have the same problem of conflicting BIOS. We have not tried it yet as it is a relatively new card. I have my doubts however whether it will work properly.

Ok so what if for hypothetical reason someone got hands on a 680MX. would this be the same issue?