Radeon HD6850 & HD6870 launched today!

PringlesInside

Enthusiast
can you explain me about multithreading? so with the phenom x6 - so thats 6 cores ,,, i would be able to have alot of processes/tasks open? for e.g i be playing mw2 and there is also lets say ms word,excel; msn ; various firefox tabs open and some visual basics + vc 2010 and vc 08.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
can you explain me about multithreading? so with the phenom x6 - so thats 6 cores ,,, i would be able to have alot of processes/tasks open? for e.g i be playing mw2 and there is also lets say ms word,excel; msn ; various firefox tabs open and some visual basics + vc 2010 and vc 08.

I'm not sure what vc is but yeah there shouldn't be a problem running those programs simulatanously, video creation and encoding are two examples of tasks that can make use of multithreaded CPU's properly.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
what about gaming?

Right now games aren't utilizing more than 3 cores properly, my guess is that it has something to do with the XBOX 360 having only 3 cores. Many games that are released for the PC are also released for the XBOX 360 and since more copies are sold on the XBOX 360 it takes the role of the dominant platform for development. Creating multiple versions of a game for various platforms would require a lot more time and money to complete so it seems like games are just ported from the XBOX 360 over to the PC and/or PS3 which results in poor optimisation. And for the games that are PC exclusive my guess is that the developers simply follow the same optimisation standard that other people working in the industry make restricting the core limit to 3.

Last edited: