Raided SSDs?

Gishank

Bright Spark
There woulsd be no noticable performence increase for the average person with SSD's in RAID 0, 4 or 5

Stappa

Enthusiast
Does it make a difference two raided SSDs compared to a single? in terms if performance.

Yes there would be an improvement but...

in striped raid 0 there's 3 chances of crashes/loss of data, either of the 2 ssd's could fail, and of cause the raid controller its self can fail,a very expensive option with some improvement of performance but...(and if you are moving from HHD's the performance gain of a single SSD is more than impressive anyway?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
It's a good idea to increase performance but you'll probably want an external HDD to back up important files.

wiserommer

Bronze Level Poster
ahh ok i was thinking about having 2X60gb raided....would anyone have any experience with this drive 120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II? i'm getting mixed reviews about it all over the net some good some bad.

Stappa

Enthusiast
ahh ok i was thinking about having 2X60gb raided....would anyone have any experience with this drive 120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II? i'm getting mixed reviews about it all over the net some good some bad.

Yep Maestro is right the Vertex2 120gb is rated highly in SSD reviews

PaulH

Bright Spark
First of all, you get a gigantic increase from RAID Striping 2 ssds, its silly fast, do you need it? probably not, and as said, one drive fails, lose all data. If its a risk your willing to take, go for it :)

wiserommer

Bronze Level Poster
Well what i always do is have two drives raided and have my data stored on a backup drive...i am seriously thinking about it getting two raided....what raid should i choose if i was to do it, raid 0?

Gorman

Author Level
It may just be me but i wouldnt trust a striped raid array to hold my coffee while i tie my shoelaces, nevermind holding a few gigs of data. I hope you have a good data backup plan!