Ram comparability error message?

ussjtrunks

When I try to add 2 x 16gb 6000mhz ram sticks to my build I get this message, 1 32gb 6000mhz stick doesn’t show the message. Is this an error or are 2 sticks incompatible with asus motherboards?
IMG_0228.jpeg

Kempez

Had the same with an Asus board and 2 x 32gb 6000MHz RAM. Had to switch to a Gigabyte board (not exactly a massive issue), but worth checking as I'd be surprised if Asus haven't addressed issues through BIOS updates

Bhuna50

Author Level
It is as the message says - the configuration is not compatible and therefore PCS wont build it for you to then only have issues later on down the line. They will have tested various configurations to be happy to sell such builds and currently certain configs of RAM with the Asus motherboards are not possible due to issues, have not yet been tested by PCS or have failed various tests.

marcap

Bronze Level Poster
I get the same with these. The 32gb is fine, 64gb not compatible, even though they’re both the same brand and speed. Is this an error? The mobo can support up to 128gb.

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 49

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I get the same with these. The 32gb is fine, 64gb not compatible, even though they’re both the same brand and speed. Is this an error? The mobo can support up to 128gb.
The 64Gb is 4 dimms, try 2 x 32, Asus is still having issues with that configuration as the error states.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers pal. Just seemed weird to my uneducated brain, appeared to be an error rather than genuine incompatibility.
ASU’s had more problems than others with their voltages on EXPO, from what I know, initially it was down to bad communication from AMD and most board partners had issues, that was resolved in May, but ASUS just seemed to struggle with larger amounts compared to others in getting it stable, no idea why

marcap

Bronze Level Poster
ASU’s had more problems than others with their voltages on EXPO, from what I know, initially it was down to bad communication from AMD and most board partners had issues, that was resolved in May, but ASUS just seemed to struggle with larger amounts compared to others in getting it stable, no idea why
Thanks again pal. Really informative. I’m trying to remember if I need 64gb ram when producing music 😂. I can’t remember how the ram is utilised within the DAW. Haven’t done any for a while.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks again pal. Really informative. I’m trying to remember if I need 64gb ram when producing music 😂. I can’t remember how the ram is utilised within the DAW. Haven’t done any for a while.
If you're using up all 128 channels, then perhaps, but 32Gb is an awful lot for Audio work. It depends how many plugins you're using as well.

But a sound engineer friend of mine ordered a top spec Vader bin Mac Pro back when they first came out with 128Gb RAM, he does live stuff with full orchestras so uses a lot of channels. When I went round after he'd bought it I showed him how to track the RAM actually in use, and he was only using way under 64Gb with everything fully loaded, he was not best pleased as the premium from 64Gb up to 128Gb was just crazy money and it was capped at a lower speed as well.

Definitely worth getting less first and upgrading rather than buying loads and finding you're not ever using it IMHO, it's such an easy upgrade to make if you do decide you need more.