RAM Latency

Krasio

Silver Level Poster
Didn't know if i should make a new thread or ...?
Does anyone know what the latency are of the RAMs that are in stock here ? The vengance 2x8 3600mhz for example.

Krasio

Silver Level Poster
This is a good question. It's best to ask PCS directly, but I'm going to message them separately to suggest this is something that would be useful in the configurator.
Thank you
Going off the picture I think its these, but confirmation would be good
Thats nice, hopefully it’s the c14

D

Deleted member 17413

looking more closely, its probably C20 or (hopefully) C18 given the pricing, C18 are still ranked very well, but looking at the specs C14 are faster (but also more than double the price)

Although I could be confusing myself here on stats and names... I dont know a huge amount about RAM
Toms Hardware has guidance on it https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-buying-guide,6347.html and explains some of it but the tech specs go right over my head.

Krasio

Silver Level Poster
Same here, all i know is when it comes to equivalent frequencees the better one is the one with the lower latency and more tight timings.

I've contacted support just now and he confirmed the 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2x8) RAM sticks are 18-19-19-39 so it's a C18

Cullwch

looking more closely, its probably C20 or (hopefully) C18 given the pricing, C18 are still ranked very well, but looking at the specs C14 are faster (but also more than double the price)

Although I could be confusing myself here on stats and names... I dont know a huge amount about RAM
Toms Hardware has guidance on it https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-buying-guide,6347.html and explains some of it but the tech specs go right over my head.

CAS Latency is a very misleading singular stat which probably confuses most people more so than guides them in choosing a product. What matters most to the customer is the true latency of a stick of ram. CAS latency corresponds to how many clock cycles the stick takes to write a word, but not how long a clock cycle is. Generally, a chronometric measure is going to be more useful than CAS latency, and so CAS latency can be used to calculate the true latency which is customarily represented in ns. The formula is as follows:

(CL / ram speed) * 2000 for DDR4 ram. So, with our example C18, 3600 Corsair Vengeance sticks, that would be (18 / 3600) * 2000 = 10ns. 10ns is pretty good, and generally, when you have equal true latency, the stick with the higher speed is preferable. So, for instance C16 / 3200 would also have 10ns true latency, but you are better off with the higher speed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just to put these timings into some context, light travels about 1 foot {300mm) in a nanosecond, so the 10ns time mentioned above is about the time it takes light to travel across a small room. Fast isn't it? :)

Gavras

Master Poster
Just to put these timings into some context, light travels about 1 foot {300mm) in a nanosecond, so the 10ns time mentioned above is about the time it takes light to travel across a small room. Fast isn't it? :)

with further advances to come in how we define and utilise memory, those speeds will almost seem pedestrian.

imagine when Photonic memory becomes as common place as DDR 3 / 4 memory etc.

this is the realm of the Femtosecond, which is shifting a bit.

The Dutch are very keen on getting ahead in quantum computing.

back on topic,

I was also wondering what spec the memory used was, it makes it easier to match later when filling the other two slots (if required).

ASHENTI

Silver Level Poster
Quick question. I have ordered my PC with 16GB DDR4 3600mhz Ram along with an ASUS TUF X570 mother board. I have read that just because my RAM is 3600mhz it doesn't necessarily mean that is the speed I will get and the RAM will need overclocked through BIOS. My question is will PCS have it set up so that I am getting the full speed from the RAM or will I have do do it?

Sorry if this is a silly question but my tech knowledge on this is limited.

D

Deleted member 17413

Exactly the same position as I was.
BIOS is accessable via windows (Settings>Update>recovery>advanced start up, then troubleshooting>advanced?UEFI settings (which is BIOS basically))

In here it will show you what your memory speed is, if its not set to the correct one you can change the memory speed yourself.
Mine was already set to 3600MHz so I would expect yours to be too, but its a quick settings change if it isnt.

ASHENTI

Silver Level Poster
Exactly the same position as I was.
BIOS is accessable via windows (Settings>Update>recovery>advanced start up, then troubleshooting>advanced?UEFI settings (which is BIOS basically))

In here it will show you what your memory speed is, if its not set to the correct one you can change the memory speed yourself.
Mine was already set to 3600MHz so I would expect yours to be too, but its a quick settings change if it isnt.
Cheers fella.