RAM PROBLEM AND OVERHEATING NEW RECOIL 15.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
That's not a fix though, that's just nerfing performance. I would suggest you want to address the cooling issues rather than masking them.

Well it depends .... Intel`s CPU´s are dependent on boosting the clockspeed as when needed , and he doesen`t need to use the CPU at 100 % at all times , hence it is better to have a lower nominal power usage and allow to boost when needed . But I do agree that checking the cooling paste is also important if the laptop is running hot .

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks all You guys for all your support regardin temperatures 💪💪💪

Anyway at the moment the biggest and most mysterious issue is the weird RAM frequency, that maybe it is capping my overall performances too! :(
Any hint on this matter?! 😰

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Have you downloaded Intel`s chipset drivers ? Sometimes updated chipset drivers will make the OS work better with the system board and memory system . Just head onto Intel`s webpage and allow it to scan the laptop for the most up to date drivers .
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
did it, but I've only 1) Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers, Windows® 10 and Windows 11* 2) Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters and 3) Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 updates available (downloaded and installed). Other chipset drivers seems already updated, standing on Intel Driver Assistant...

PauFen

Anyway at the moment the biggest and most mysterious issue is the weird RAM frequency, that maybe it is capping my overall performances too! :(
Could that be something to do with the Double Data Rate thing (the DDR in DDR4 ) ? CPU-Z always reports the DRAM frequency as exactly 1/2 the actual frequency.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Could that be something to do with the Double Data Rate thing (the DDR in DDR4 ) ? CPU-Z always reports the DRAM frequency as exactly 1/2 the actual frequency.

But that's exactly what he's seeing (and I believe he understands that DDR concept). If you go back a few posts, his CPU-Z is reporting 666Mhz, which would double to 1333, still half of the 2666 that it should have been.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the RAM modules might have gone loose during shipping? I would try opening the back cover, removing the battery (or its internal cable if it's not removable), removing both RAM modules and resetting them again to see if it makes any difference.

I do agree with @KriSta suggestion on lowering the CPU power, if gaming is what you're mostly going to do (regarding heavy workloads). In games, having more power for the GPU dynamic boost could be beneficial in most cases, both for FPS and overall system temperatures, the only exception being CPU-heavy games. But your RAM issue needs to be solved before trying any of these tweaks.

PauFen

But that's exactly what he's seeing (and I believe he understands that DDR concept). If you go back a few posts, his CPU-Z is reporting 666Mhz, which would double to 1333, still half of the 2666 that it should have been.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that the RAM modules might have gone loose during shipping? I would try opening the back cover, removing the battery (or its internal cable if it's not removable), removing both RAM modules and resetting them again to see if it makes any difference.

I do agree with @KriSta suggestion on lowering the CPU power, if gaming is what you're mostly going to do (regarding heavy workloads). In games, having more power for the GPU dynamic boost could be beneficial in most cases, both for FPS and overall system temperatures, the only exception being CPU-heavy games. But your RAM issue needs to be solved before trying any of these tweaks.
Yes sorry, you're correct, I should have read the rest of the thread more carefully. CPU-Z is reporting 1/4 of the expected speed... strange.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes sorry, you're correct, I should have read the rest of the thread more carefully. CPU-Z is reporting 1/4 of the expected speed... strange.
I think that initial CPU-Z image is some sort of glitch in CPU-Z TBH. It's reporting ½ the base clock speed of 1333 MHz for some reason.

As mentioned, the DDR feature means that a read/write is done on both the leading and trailing edge of the clock pulses and thus the actual read/write rate is thus twice the base clock rate, so to display the base clock frequency CPU-Z might just halve the actual data rate? For some reason here it's read the clock frequency (1333 MHz) and mistakenly halved that (possibly)?

In any case it's clear from the other displays that the RAM is reading and writing at 2666 MHz as expected. :)

FerrariVie

Super Star
I think that initial CPU-Z image is some sort of glitch in CPU-Z TBH. It's reporting ½ the base clock speed of 1333 MHz for some reason.

As mentioned, the DDR feature means that a read/write is done on both the leading and trailing edge of the clock pulses and thus the actual read/write rate is thus twice the base clock rate, so to display the base clock frequency CPU-Z might just halve the actual data rate? For some reason here it's read the clock frequency (1333 MHz) and mistakenly halved that (possibly)?

In any case it's clear from the other displays that the RAM is reading and writing at 2666 MHz as expected. :)
Which others, you mean? From what I could see, only the bios is reporting 2666. In 3Dmark it's also showing half of the expected frequency (1333) and it always reports the perceived speeds (2x).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Which others, you mean? From what I could see, only the bios is reporting 2666. In 3Dmark it's also showing half of the expected frequency (1333) and it always reports the perceived speeds (2x).
I think all of the others are correct. Those reporting clock frequency report 1333 Mhz (and then you have to know that DDR makes for 2666 Mega transfers per second), the BIOS reports 2666 MT/s because it's reporting Mega Transfers per second and is thus taking account of the DDR feature.

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
I think all of the others are correct. Those reporting clock frequency report 1333 Mhz (and then you have to know that DDR makes for 2666 Mega transfers per second), the BIOS reports 2666 MT/s because it's reporting Mega Transfers per second and is thus taking account of the DDR feature.
thanks @ubuysa and @FerrariVie ...also if it seems your opinion on my RAM frequencies are opposite, and dunno which one is right :)
If it can helps, I've performed other tests with Aida and CPU-Z as follows, hoping to give you the decisive clues:

aida_bench read_menusinistra.jpg

cpuz_spd.jpg
cpuz_memory.jpg

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, thanks for all your efforts trying to solve my issues :D
Anyway, regarding TEMPERATURES issue I've some news. With the brand new Cooling Pad Cooler Master U2 PLUS V2 (placing the fans on top right and left of notebook, where I guess the GPU and CPU fans are) + using Turbo profile on Controle Center, here's the results:

hwinfo_turbo_temp.jpg

3dmark_turbo_temp.jpg

With a little 3dMark improvement result, It seems all temps lowering a little bit too, with Max GPU temp of 76° (average of 63°). GPU hotspot temperature is quite higher (86° max, 70° average) but dunno what this parameter refers to.

Dunno too which value should I consider for CPU temperatures: CPU IA Cores or CPU package? Anyway, compared to previous benchs, all temp values lower here too (minimum and average values)...only value that still remain the same (and high) is the maximum, both on 94°.

What do you think about this results? I'm still in trouble and near to "melting point" :D or not? Thanks again :)

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
I still think this is required
uhm...I'm a little bit worried, first because I've never performed a repaste (I imagine on both cpu and gpu), but most of all: opening the laptop (to do whatever you suggested me, i.e. repaste, removing batteries and RAM modules, etc) does invalidate the warranty?!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
does invalidate the warranty?!
No it doesn't, PCS have an open case policy

7.8Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:

• If the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
  • We will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
No it doesn't, PCS have an open case policy

7.8Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:

• If the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
  • We will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.
Ah ok...so I can do it! Many thanks @Martinr36 :)
So, now...I guess I have to repaste both GPU and CPU, correct?
And...considering I've NEVER done such a thing: can you suggest me the paste to buy and...HOW to repaste correctly? :)
(consider that, in the order, I've chosen an ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME)
Thanks again!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ah ok...so I can do it! Many thanks @Martinr36 :)
So, now...I guess I have to repaste both GPU and CPU, correct?
And...considering I've NEVER done such a thing: can you suggest me the paste to buy and...HOW to repaste correctly? :)
(consider that, in the order, I've chosen an ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME)
Thanks again!
Check in the welcome pack to see if of the arctic paste is in there, here's a good video to explain how it's done, just note one thing he doesn't mention, is the screws holding the heatsink on will be numbered, this is the order you need to loosen and tighten them in

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Check in the welcome pack to see if of the arctic paste is in there, here's a good video to explain how it's done, just note one thing he doesn't mention, is the screws holding the heatsink on will be numbered, this is the order you need to loosen and tighten them in

no Artic paste in my welcome pack! What paste do u suggest to buy?

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
What you all seems to forget or ignore is that Intel CPU`s run quite a bit hotter than AMD`s , this is true also for mobile ones . Hence his Intel i7 11800H will at any speed and usage be warmer than an AMD Ryzen 8 and 9 with Zen 3. This is unavoidable and by design , repaste will then only do so much for his temps .

Status
Not open for further replies.