Ram upgrade help

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, I purchased a pre-built system from here many moons ago and I'm looking to upgrade my ram as I play a heavily modded Skyrim and I'm having a lot of memory issues, plus my pc is generally slower than it was and I'd quite like a speed boost.

Here are my current specs:

ASUS P6X58D Premium mobo
i7 930 cpu OC'd from 2.8MHz to 3.3MHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 (4GB)
3 x 2048MBytes Corsair DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I'm hoping to upgrade to 16GB but i'm unsure if i need to just replace the existing ram or add to it? Replacing it completely is fine if needed so I need to know what set will work best with my setup. There seem to be so many options and I want to ensure I choose the best one.

Thanks peeps

Rob.

Spuff

Expert
It's always best to have completely matched RAM, so if you can't find any more of what you have you will need to replace it.
CPU-Z will show you the part number of your RAM which is a sure way to know if any you want to add is the same.
You couldn't get 16GB by adding more unless you added sticks of different capacities, and it's not good to do that.

Last edited:

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the reply Spuff.
I just decided to replace it. As you say, I didn't want to mix different capacities. Cheers for the advice :)

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

You should be able to still buy the RAM that matches what you already use. It's probably 1333MHz speed.

Frank100