Ram Upgrade Optimus XI

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
Hello, everyone!
I recently ordered an Optimus pro XI laptop and was disappointed that there was no choice to pick 3200mhz ram. So I ordered the worst ram option to minimise cost, and ordered my own two 8gb ram SODIMM 3200mhz sticks. What I'm wondering is if the motherboard in the laptop can even handle 3200mhz,as the motherboard isn't specified and I'm afraid I made a huge mistake.
This is the laptop I ordered for those wondering:

17,3' screen
Amd Ryzen 7 4800h processor
Gtx 2060 6gb.
4gb ram 2133mhz.

Rest is pretty much irrelevant.

So, is this laptop compatible with 8gb 3200mhz SODIMM ram or did I screw myself over?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello, everyone!
I recently ordered an Optimus pro XI laptop and was disappointed that there was no choice to pick 3200mhz ram. So I ordered the worst ram option to minimise cost, and ordered my own two 8gb ram SODIMM 3200mhz sticks. What I'm wondering is if the motherboard in the laptop can even handle 3200mhz,as the motherboard isn't specified and I'm afraid I made a huge mistake.
This is the laptop I ordered for those wondering:

17,3' screen
Amd Ryzen 7 4800h processor
Gtx 2060 6gb.
4gb ram 2133mhz.

Rest is pretty much irrelevant.

So, is this laptop compatible with 8gb 3200mhz SODIMM ram or did I screw myself over?
It won't be officially supported over 2666MHz, the only way to be sure is to install it and try applying an XMP for 3200MHz

The chassis is a TongFang GK7NPFR

There is a competitor who is selling it with 3200MHz so it should be possible so long as the feature is available in BIOS.

Last edited:

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
So I either get two 2666mhz and use an xmp to boost it to 3200mhz or I install two 3200mhz and pay it works.... Not ideal options but thank you for the information!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I either get two 2666mhz and use an xmp to boost it to 3200mhz or I install two 3200mhz and pay it works.... Not ideal options but thank you for the information!
You have to have 3200mhz RAM, then you use XMP to reach those speeds as it’s an overclock. The max the chip supports natively is 2666mhz.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
You have to have 3200mhz RAM, then you use XMP to reach those speeds as it’s an overclock. The max the chip supports natively is 2666mhz.

Ah, okay. As you can see I'm new to this and don't have much knowledge. Just learnt what XMP even is. I only know that higher ram frequencies take some of the load off of the processor. That is why I wanted 3200mhz ram. But if I have to risk getting complications by OCing the ram over the chip's compatibility, I think I'll pass. Many people seem to have problems with using XMP to reach actual 3200mhz speeds. But seriously thank you for helping me decide what to do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah, okay. As you can see I'm new to this and don't have much knowledge. Just learnt what XMP even is. I only know that higher ram frequencies take some of the load off of the processor. That is why I wanted 3200mhz ram. But if I have to risk getting complications by OCing the ram over the chip's compatibility, I think I'll pass. Many people seem to have problems with using XMP to reach actual 3200mhz speeds. But seriously thank you for helping me decide what to do.
No problem.

Just for anyone else reading this, the way RAM works on modern systems is:

The CPU supports native speeds with a maximum:

On Intel - 2133MHz
On AMD - 2666MHz

To achieve speeds over the max supported speeds you use XMP (extreme memory profile - Intel) or DOCP (direct overclock profile - AMD) to achieve the higher speeds of the RAM you've bought.

Basically, when you buy higher speed RAM, it's been verified as supporting those overclocked speeds.

When you apply an XMP or DOCP, what it's doing is essentially overclocking the memory fabric which is on the CPU to allow the added speeds. An XMP or DOCP is a tried and tested auto overclocking profile that has been verified by AMD / Intel to be as reliable as possible.

Almost every system in use today operates on XMP or DOCP profiles, very few would operate at standard speeds.

zayter

No problem.

Just for anyone else reading this, the way RAM works on modern systems is:

The CPU supports native speeds with a maximum:

On Intel - 2133MHz
On AMD - 2666MHz

To achieve speeds over the max supported speeds you use XMP (extreme memory profile - Intel) or DOCP (direct overclock profile - AMD) to achieve the higher speeds of the RAM you've bought.

Basically, when you buy higher speed RAM, it's been verified as supporting those overclocked speeds.

When you apply an XMP or DOCP, what it's doing is essentially overclocking the memory fabric which is on the CPU to allow the added speeds. An XMP or DOCP is a tried and tested auto overclocking profile that has been verified by AMD / Intel to be as reliable as possible.

Almost every system in use today operates on XMP or DOCP profiles, very few would operate at standard speeds.
Does this TongFang GK7NPFR motherboard's BIOS have a feature to overclock the RAM using DOCP? I'm in the same situation. I've purchased 3200mhz already before receiving the laptop.

PepFue

Hi, I am considering buying this laptop too. If you test this, please, post it so we can know the result.

Thanks!