Range of cases which incorporate BluRay tray is limited

chrwal543

I'm looking to build a decent development machine (VisualStudio / SQL Server etc.) with a bit of beef to play the occasional game. However a Blu-Ray writer is quite high up on my list of requirements.

Now I know that most of the customer demographic here are gamers but it would be nice to see more cases that incorporate a 5 1/4 inch optical disc slot on them. I'm limited to just one at the minute by the look of it AND that case doesn't appear to have a transparent side window which I would like.

Also, it would be great if the configuration screen could allow the cases to be filtered by whether it incorporates an optical disk.

Anyone else in this bracket?

Cheers all.
Chris

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Now I know that most of the customer demographic here are gamers but it would be nice to see more cases that incorporate a 5 1/4 inch optical disc slot on them. I'm limited to just one at the minute by the look of it AND that case doesn't appear to have a transparent side window which I would like.
It’s not a gamer thing but a modernised thing, DVD/Blu-ray is considered legacy as almost all sources these days are digital downloads so very few manufacturers of any laptops or PC cases account for optical media anymore, and within a few years they will be completely unsupported.

It’s usually advised to buy a USB DVD/Blu-ray bay if you require one.

stegor

Bright Spark
I also had this issue but realised I was just of an older generation and did what Spydertracks said and bought a USB one. With most stuff on demand and streamed they just aren't in demand anymore. Sad but true.

chrwal543

Thanks. I get that optical media have pretty much had their day, but my purpose for a BluRay writer is for secondary file archiving as they can hold up to 50GB of data at a time rather than for installing software/playing movies. I already have a USB BluRay writer but thought this would be an opportunity to not need to pull it out of storage and set it up every three months. Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks. I get that optical media have pretty much had their day, but my purpose for a BluRay writer is for secondary file archiving as they can hold up to 50GB of data at a time rather than for installing software/playing movies. I already have a USB BluRay writer but thought this would be an opportunity to not need to pull it out of storage and set it up every three months. Thanks.
Just use USB drives or external disk drives, much more efficient and can store anywhere up to multiple TB at a time. They're tiny as well these days, smaller than a passport.

Or even better, cloud storage.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The Fractal Focus G has what you are after I believe.

It's definitely a habitual thing though as there's no way Bluray would be recommended for backups. Even when disc drives were popular it wasn't recommended as they degrade over time and eventually become unreadable.

Cloud storage is easily the best option now, a secondary drive is always good too though.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't quite understand how the OP only has a choice of one case? I have just goine through them all (yes, I'm that bored!!) and I count 10 cases with 5.25" bays/mounts

I think they were more struggling with the finding them aspect, then presuming there were limited choices.... due to the lack of filtering potential :)

chrwal543

Thanks guys for your input. Maybe I do need to enter the 21st Century and dump BluRay for external HDD / Cloud Storage. Just to say, I always make two identical backups when archiving to BluRay and verify one of them and a copy of the archive goes onto my NAS drive too. Cheers.

Lord Arse!

I'm a retro gamer with a large library of PC CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays. Having an internal optical drive isn't a necessity but is definitely a pro for somebody like myself, albeit niche.

It's a shame that case selection isn't better worked on the configurator, tbh. It would be great if you could give it some info (height, width, depth, full-size, mid, trays etc. etc.) without just fine-tuning it by brand but maybe that's something that the website wizards will add one of these days 🤷‍♂️

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The range varies a lot unfortunately, it tends not to be so much of a constraint for most. Agree that it would be a nice to have but it would be a lot of effort and time to put into something that few would utilise.

The great thing is that you're free to have your own case shipped in. So you can easily find one you like that covers every base and then have it shipped direct to PCS themselves.

Having said that, all designs and trends are removing the Optical housing. Most new designs have it omitted.

chrwal543

They've changed since as the stock availability has changed significantly.

Focus G and Define 7 are off the list at the moment. 750D is still there though.

I would avoid optical drives altogether now to be honest.

Thanks. I noticed that. 750D - i'll have a look at that. I was struggling to spot any with a 5" bay. Yes, the case selector could do with filter options.

Gregg83

The range varies a lot unfortunately, it tends not to be so much of a constraint for most. Agree that it would be a nice to have but it would be a lot of effort and time to put into something that few would utilise.

The great thing is that you're free to have your own case shipped in. So you can easily find one you like that covers every base and then have it shipped direct to PCS themselves.

Having said that, all designs and trends are removing the Optical housing. Most new designs have it omitted.

Hi, know this is an old thread but do you know if they can reuse other parts when you send in a case?

have a 4 year old pc from here, still runs silent etc but over heats when i need to use graphics i think. is only when playing games, so that is what i am assuming anyways...

would love to reuse the fans and second hard drive, water cooling may not be best though. seems a lot of parts to replace if they still are still good, the cost ramps up so quick when you add these extras

thanks

Gavras

Master Poster
Hi, know this is an old thread but do you know if they can reuse other parts when you send in a case?

have a 4 year old pc from here, still runs silent etc but over heats when i need to use graphics i think. is only when playing games, so that is what i am assuming anyways...

would love to reuse the fans and second hard drive, water cooling may not be best though. seems a lot of parts to replace if they still are still good, the cost ramps up so quick when you add these extras

thanks
Nope not really only the case.

when you consider the fans come with the case, you could supply your old case.

however is it decent for cooling etc.

Gregg83

Nope not really only the case.

when you consider the fans come with the case, you could supply your old case.

however is it decent for cooling etc.
never had an issue before this, just really like how quiet they are. maybe they shouldn't be, but it is peaceful! would be same fans they are still offering now i think, so would hope they are ok

cheers for reply, been looking at converting hard drive to external at least, but im not they most tech savey about this sort of thing