Real Users' Benchmarks - Rank of PCS Laptops

Besniq82

here is my result STOCK on 3d mark firestrike, for some reason the cpu i9 10850 desktop didnt clock more than 4.192 Mhz, here is a link of the results

FerrariVie

Super Star
Finally my stock results. Where/who can I get some advices to improve the parameter of the fans and lower the temperature of my laptop without sacrifying performance ? Should I create a new topic ?
I have so many questions !

Chassis and SpecFirestrike
3DMark
GraphicsPhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URL
* Nova 15" / R5 3600 / RTX 2070 Mobile18185204361922269°Link
Thanks for posting your results!

Your performance seems around average for your specs, but regarding noise and temps, I would suggest you create a new thread under technical support. Make sure you tag me in there, as I've done that on mine already and would be glad to help you out ;)

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
here is my result STOCK on 3d mark firestrike, for some reason the cpu i9 10850 desktop didnt clock more than 4.192 Mhz, here is a link of the results

Thanks for sharing ;)

I've replied with my comments on your thread, there is definitely something that needs to be changed to increase those CPU clocks.

YogiC75

Hi,

I would like to share my Firestrike results with you all (especially as my build is a bit uncommon) and, with your help, also create a consolidated thread with benchmarks of most PCS laptops. Hopefully, this will be of help to future buyers looking to compare their current builds and measure performance gains with a new PCS laptop, as well as for current owners to compare their performance with similar builds, aiming to spot any issue that they might not even know existed.

Rules:
  1. Set up your power profile in Control/Gaming Center to "Performance/Turbo mode". If not using Clevo/Tongfang software, just use the stock CPU clocks and boost (for stock rank) or mention if you're doing some kind of overclock/underclock (for Tuned rank). If only undervolt was done (with no clock changes), then it is still going to be considered on the stock rank;
  2. Run 3DMark Firestrike benchmark on your laptop (Open 3DMark -> "Benchmarks" button-> Scroll down until you find Fire Strike). You can download 3DMark here, in case you still don't have it: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/3dmark-download.html
  3. Post your URL link to results (click on the orange "Compare result online" button that will show up after the benchmark is finished, then copy the pop-up site's URL. That website will give us detailed info about the results, avg GPU temps and clocks (to confirm if overclock was used or even to help us to troubleshoot something weird with the results). Benchmarks posted with only a screenshot won't be added, so please include the results URL;
  4. Please mention if you're using Overclock or Underclock in either the CPU or GPU, as we're going to have 2 separate ranks for each of those (Stock and Tuned). We could check that on the results page, but it will make our lives easier (mine, especially) to not need to double-check all the specs against the stock values.
  5. Any doubts, feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

Ranks (last updated on 14/Jan/21)

Stock

3DMark
Graphics​
PhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URLUser
* Recoil IV 17" / i9 10850K / RTX 2080 Super20668248912374359°Link@Besniq82
* Nova 15" / R9 3900 / RTX 207018413202952412358°Link@Hun
* Nova 15" / R5 3600 / RTX 207018185204361922269°Link@maxff9
* Octane III 17" / i7 6700k / GTX 1080 (2016 test)167252134612508N/ALink@Scott
* Octane III 17" / i7 6700k / GTX 108016627211471264960°Link@Scott
* Nova 15" / R3 3100 / RTX 2070​
20671​
13028​
62°​
Link@FerrariVie
Optimus Pro XI 17" / R7 4800H / RTX 206015847170472093259°Link@andjef796
Cosmos IX 15" / i7 10750H / GTX 1650 Ti9611105871702860°Link@Martinr36
Defiance II / i7 6700HQ / GTX 980M (2016 test)852199649765N/ALink@andjef796
Waiting for next user...

Tuned (CPU and/or GPU Overclock/Underclock)
3DMark
Graphics​
PhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URLUser
* Octane III 17" / i7 6700k @ 4.3 / GTX 1080 @ 2.063 (2016 test)178552344913153N/ALink@Scott
* Octane III 17" / i7 6700k @ 4.3 / GTX 1080 @ 2.03817351223521323261°Link@Scott
* Nova 15" / R3 3100 @ 4.3 / RTX 2070​
21050​
14605​
61°​
Link@FerrariVie
* Nova 15" / R3 3100 @ 4.2 / RTX 2070 @ 1.620
20553​
14302​
56°​
Link@FerrariVie
* Octane III 17" / i7 6700k @ 4.4 / GTX 1080 @ 1.886164982086712989N/ALink@Scott
Waiting for next user...

* Desktop Replacement Laptop that uses a desktop CPU, but same mobile GPU as other laptops.

Not sure how to add my results, but here is the link as per the instructions, for my Elimina 17.3 with the RTX 3060, i received a couple of days back... Sorry i didnt do earlier, ive been a little busy, erm, playing games :)

Macco26

Expert

Not sure how to add my results, but here is the link as per the instructions, for my Elimina 17.3 with the RTX 3060, i received a couple of days back... Sorry i didnt do earlier, ive been a little busy, erm, playing games :)
It seems you basically scored second place in this forum's firestrike list. Your RTX 3060 scores pretty much as like as last gen RTX 2070 and some. Good! (y)

FerrariVie

Super Star

Thanks for posting, that is indeed an impressive score for the price :eek:

However, I've never seen a GPU run that hot on a Firestrike benchmark, but as I've read in some articles, I think the RTX 3000 are kind of expected to run that hot. Curious to see how hot the 3070 or 3080 full power will run o_O. But it's the price to pay for the performance on laptops, and it always will be. How was the fan noise while running the benchmark?

YogiC75

Thanks for posting, that is indeed an impressive score for the price :eek:

However, I've never seen a GPU run that hot on a Firestrike benchmark, but as I've read in some articles, I think the RTX 3000 are kind of expected to run that hot. Curious to see how hot the 3070 or 3080 full power will run o_O. But it's the price to pay for the performance on laptops, and it always will be. How was the fan noise while running the benchmark?
I use it normally in Entertainment mode, usually but changed it to Performance mode as per the instructions, so the fans did kick in quite quickly, however I expected them to, as I've been operating the laptop on a cooling tray as per recommendations from ANDJEF796 usually, which has kind of kept it under control for my general gaming, but obviously I did not use the cooling tray for the purposes of the benchmark. The sound doesn't particularly bother me, as I was warned to expect some noise from the fans from a gaming laptop. Overall I am really pleased as it s been able to run all my games really well, unlike my more expensive Samsung Galaxy Book :mad: (now being sold (y))

FerrariVie

Super Star
I use it normally in Entertainment mode, usually but changed it to Performance mode as per the instructions, so the fans did kick in quite quickly, however I expected them to, as I've been operating the laptop on a cooling tray as per recommendations from ANDJEF796 usually, which has kind of kept it under control for my general gaming, but obviously I did not use the cooling tray for the purposes of the benchmark. The sound doesn't particularly bother me, as I was warned to expect some noise from the fans from a gaming laptop. Overall I am really pleased as it s been able to run all my games really well, unlike my more expensive Samsung Galaxy Book :mad: (now being sold (y))
Great! Yes, @andjef796 's recommendation was spot on and you're also correct to use entertainment mode for gaming, that should bring CPU temps down a bit and also noise. Congratulations, I'm jealous now :ROFLMAO:

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
I was expecting higher results for the 3060, I feel actually quite good to have the 2070 ! I hope to have time soon to run more tests.

FerrariVie

Super Star
I was expecting higher results for the 3060, I feel actually quite good to have the 2070 ! I hope to have time soon to run more tests.
I agree, but the difference is the price, as the XX70 series cards are always more expensive than the XX60 counterparts. However, you might have been lucky enough to get one of the last 2070s, which might have been discounted based on the imminent launch of the 3000 series. (y)

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
I repeated the test. Entertainment power mode. All stock.
February, outside temperature -1°C (laptop stayed in my car all day long).
I don't why the results are less good than last time ?

3DMark
GraphicsPhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URL
* Nova 15" / R5 3600 / RTX 2070 Mobile17530195891845767°Link

FerrariVie

Super Star
I repeated the test. Entertainment power mode. All stock.
February, outside temperature -1°C (laptop stayed in my car all day long).
I don't why the results are less good than last time ?

3DMark
GraphicsPhysicsAvg. GPU
Temps
URL
* Nova 15" / R5 3600 / RTX 2070 Mobile17530195891845767°Link
Did you use entertainment or performance last time? The only thing I can see is that you had lower clocks in general, from CPU, GPU and RAM. By consequence, the temperature was also a bit lower. Even though the power modes only change CPU power and fan speed, a higher CPU could push the RAM and GPU higher as well.

It could either be a configuration difference (like a change in power modes) or you could have had some process in the background that was using resources while the benchmark was running. You've been using the laptop for longer now, so it's likely you have more background processes now.

I would reboot the laptop and try again without changing anything... I noticed that usually you get better results when running just after booting :D

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
I only had HWinfo and Firefox (two or three tabs) running. I actually used my laptop very few. I don't know which settings I was using last time and this time I am afraid I used the fans on Silent. Damn I have to think about many things to have the perfect conditions !

I saw on Windows 10 that there is a "Game mode", how does it activate ?

I repeated again, no much changes: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58038690

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
I only had HWinfo and Firefox (two or three tabs) running. I actually used my laptop very few. I don't know which settings I was using last time and this time I am afraid I used the fans on Silent. Damn I have to think about many things to have the perfect conditions !

I saw on Windows 10 that there is a "Game mode", how does it activate ?

I repeated again, no much changes: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/58038690
Hahaha, it is likely that you've run the benchmark in the performance mode on the first time (that's what I recommended on the thread rules for benchmarking anyway), so that is likely the difference in performance that you get between entertainment and performance.

I would also not have firefox or hwinfo on the background if you wish to get the highest score possible, as those will use a bit of resources on the background.

Regarding windows game mode, from what I know that is already enabled by default (unless you disable it) and it switches on and off automatically, so I don't think there's anything you should control in there.

maxff9

Bronze Level Poster
Yes for real gaming session I'll close everything (also hidden stuff like Dropbox & cie). I confirm I did the first benchmark in performance mode, as you suggested it in your first post.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Average GPU temp of 69 is pretty good I'd have thought
Looking at the 3000 series now, it indeed is :ROFLMAO:

But keep in mind that Firestrike, for most of the tests, is using mostly one main component at a time... Graphics 1 and 2 are mostly GPU based, while physics is mostly CPU. They're never both 100% at the same time, apart from the short combined final test. So on real gaming sessions, those temps will be a lot higher.

Style evo

Here is my Firestrike score for my Elimina 17”. Noticeably slower than Yogic75 benchmark. The GPU gets very hot - around 86C so I think the system might be throttling the GPU due to this. The GPU load seemed to hover around 95-96% load, so this might explain some of the difference.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/24881681