Real Users' Benchmarks - Rank of PCS Laptops

Vergaro98

Super Star
On my Valeon the MUX setting can be found in the " General Settings " as seen in this screenshot down at the bottom .
Using both the Radeon Vega 8 GPU and RTX 3070 makes the performance drop quite a bit in games and 3D benchmark , but will in return extend battery runtime .

View attachment 30873
This is the same CC that I've 👍🏻. I think that all the TongFang chassis get the same.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ranks updated, guys (y)
Thanks !
(i just saw that i'm the third one on the list, i'm happy :D !!!!!!!!!!)

edit (to avoid double post) :
I do have a question :
I saw that my "combined score" is kinda low in front of my other score (graphic and physic score) and in front of the other members score
Do you have any idea why ?

edit 2 : and may i ask you if you can explain me how the 3 scores works ? (the physics and the graphiccs can be obvious thought)

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Thanks !
(i just saw that i'm the third one on the list, i'm happy :D !!!!!!!!!!)

edit (to avoid double post) :
I do have a question :
I saw that my "combined score" is kinda low in front of my other score (graphic and physic score) and in front of the other members score
Do you have any idea why ?
The combined score is based on the combined test's score and avg FPS, which for some weird reason your results were quite low compared to the other 2 top ones (50fps on yours vs. 60+ for them).

I initially thought that maybe a windows background process might have run just at the time of the combined test (last one), but looking at your other 2 benchmark runs, it is consistently around 50 fps. Then I looked into @Chimp 's benchmark, since he has exactly the same build as you, and he is also in the 50fps mark.

In the end, it should be something that the AMD build from the top 2 guys is doing better on the combined, while your Intel is "struggling" with it. Your build is performing very well on the individual GPU and CPU tests, which is similar or sometimes even better than the other 2, but when running both CPU and GPU at full speeds at the same time, then it is when their builds are performing better.

So it leads me to think that the overall score difference might not be CPU or GPU related. My guess would be on the RAM speeds since they're likely at 3200Mhz (not showing on 3Dmark for some reason) while you're on 2933Mhz. But it might also have something to do with power management, as your build could be giving more power to one component and bottlenecking the other when both are required.

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The combined score is based on the combined test's score and avg FPS, which for some weird reason your results were quite low compared to the other 2 top ones (50fps on yours vs. 60+ for them).

I initially thought that maybe a windows background process might have run just at the time of the combined test (last one), but looking at your other 2 benchmark runs, it is consistently around 50 fps. Then I looked into @Chimp 's benchmark, since he has exactly the same build as you, and he is also in the 50fps mark.

In the end, it should be something that the AMD build from the top 2 guys is doing better on the combined, while your Intel is "struggling" with it. Your build is performing very well on the individual GPU and CPU tests, which is similar or sometimes even better than the other 2, but when running both CPU and GPU at full speeds at the same time, then it is when their builds are performing better.

So it leads me to think that it might not be CPU or GPU related. My guess would be on the RAM speeds since they're likely at 3200Mhz (not showing on 3Dmark for some reason) while you're on 2933Mhz. But it might also have something to do with power management, as your build could be giving more power to one component and bottlenecking the other when both are required.
First of all, thank you for the detailled answers
My first thought was also about the RAM, but it's true that the power management may have something to do with it
Do you think i could change something about this ? (just for the sake of scoring XD)

FerrariVie

Super Star
First of all, thank you for the detailled answers
My first thought was also about the RAM, but it's true that the power management may have something to do with it
Do you think i could change something about this ? (just for the sake of scoring XD)
On PCS laptops, what controls power management is the Control Center, so you can try to play around with the profiles (high performance and entertainment/gaming) to see if the overall score and fps improve or not. Not sure if your chassis is from Clevo or TongFang, as I've heard that the latter's Control Center gives you a lot more options to customize power management.

You also have an unlocked CPU, so undervolting/underclocking or lowering its TDP could give you a bit more power for the GPU, which might be also a bit more important on the overall test than the CPU. But that is a more advanced/complex set of features that I would not advise people to mess with unless they're familiar with that.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
It is interesting to see that I have the exact same score as Tron1982 with my Valeon despite him having higher score on graphics and physics . But it also shows the very small differencies between the RTX3080 and the RTX3070 . Almost to the point where the only advantage the RTX 3080 have is the double VRAM size .

FerrariVie

Super Star
It is interesting to see that I have the exact same score as Tron1982 with my Valeon despite him having higher score on graphics and physics . But it also shows the very small differencies between the RTX3080 and the RTX3070 . Almost to the point where the only advantage the RTX 3080 have is the double VRAM size .
Do you know if both have the same TDP or if yours is higher? Are you also using Dynamic Boost? Those things need to be considered when comparing laptop GPUs, especially the RTX 30 series.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hem, you're not looking at the right score ^^"
my latest one is a little bit higher than yours ^^

But what you said is interesting, because it show the weight of the combined score ^^"

On PCS laptops, what controls power management is the Control Center, so you can try to play around with the profiles (high performance and entertainment/gaming) to see if the overall score and fps improve or not. Not sure if your chassis is from Clevo or TongFang, as I've heard that the latter's Control Center gives you a lot more options to customize power management.

You also have an unlocked CPU, so undervolting/underclocking or lowering its TDP could give you a bit more power for the GPU, which might be also a bit more important on the overall test than the CPU. But that is a more advanced/complex set of features that I would not advise people to mess with unless they're familiar with that.
Yeah, i will not try it ^^"

edit : anyway, thanks for your clear answers and your patience ^^

Last edited:

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Do you know if both have the same TDP or if yours is higher? Are you also using Dynamic Boost? Those things need to be considered when comparing laptop GPUs, especially the RTX 30 series.
I know that my TGP is 140w which is the maximum allowed for the RTX 3070 , but it has actually been above that when checking HWinfo64 during benchmarks and certain games . It has peaked at 144-145 watt in short bursts ... so the 3070 is a very potent GPU when cooling allows for it . As for the 3080 I don`t know how @Tron1982 has configured his , but I would assume 150+ watt TGP .
Percentagewise he is probably ahead 5-6 % from me with his 3080. His desktop CPU is certainly working overtime to match the Ryzen 9 and like the scores shows , the Intel CPU has to be undervolted to function at that performance level . For AMD that is not an issue .

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hey, i just did another test without undervolting, and i managed to reach a 26000 ish core
I think my 3080 is a 150+15w (the "max-p" version)

Otherwise, the parameters are "native", i didn't modify anything ^^

barlew

Godlike
I know that my TGP is 140w which is the maximum allowed for the RTX 3070 , but it has actually been above that when checking HWinfo64 during benchmarks and certain games . It has peaked at 144-145 watt in short bursts ... so the 3070 is a very potent GPU when cooling allows for it . As for the 3080 I don`t know how @Tron1982 has configured his , but I would assume 150+ watt TGP .
Percentagewise he is probably ahead 5-6 % from me with his 3080. His desktop CPU is certainly working overtime to match the Ryzen 9 and like the scores shows , the Intel CPU has to be undervolted to function at that performance level . For AMD that is not an issue .
Mate have you done anything to boost your GPU clock speeds? I am about 300 points behind you. When I compare our results your GPU is clocking well above my 3080?

*Edit Disregard I have just seen your post about the max TGP.*

My second run, Max fans plus maximum 150 TGP and dGPU.

Definitely not bad for a second run.

*Second Edit*

That will do for the day.

Third run, max fans plus maximum 150 W TGP and 15 W dynamic boost with dGPU.

Last edited:

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Mate have you done anything to boost your GPU clock speeds? I am about 300 points behind you. When I compare our results your GPU is clocking well above my 3080?

*Edit Disregard I have just seen your post about the max TGP.*

My second run, Max fans plus maximum 150 TGP and dGPU.

Definitely not bad for a second run.

*Second Edit*

That will do for the day.

Third run, max fans plus maximum 150 W TGP and 15 W dynamic boost with dGPU.

That`s how an RTX 3080 Valeon shold perfrom :cool: One has to enable boost + full TGP to get the maximum potential out of the GPU . As for the CPU , yes the Ryzen 9 gets warm but with a cooling pad blowing cold air through the gaps in the bottom it can stay quite cool and max boost for quite long . But not all laptop chassis can sustain an RTX 3080 at 150+15W at full tilt before hitting the thermal wall , but for some reason the Valeon can .
The GPU does support G-SYNC externally and I`m using it with my 35" Acer Predator Z35P which has a G-SYNC module and it works flawless .

One does not buy the Valeon for the astethics or build quality , but for the sheer performance , if I had to speculate the MSI GE76 or possibly the Razer Blade laptops might have a higher quality feel , but then you need to add an extra 1000 euro to the purchase price :)

barlew

Godlike
That`s how an RTX 3080 Valeon shold perfrom :cool: One has to enable boost + full TGP to get the maximum potential out of the GPU . As for the CPU , yes the Ryzen 9 gets warm but with a cooling pad blowing cold air through the gaps in the bottom it can stay quite cool and max boost for quite long . But not all laptop chassis can sustain an RTX 3080 at 150+15W at full tilt before hitting the thermal wall , but for some reason the Valeon can .
The GPU does support G-SYNC externally and I`m using it with my 35" Acer Predator Z35P which has a G-SYNC module and it works flawless .

One does not buy the Valeon for the astethics or build quality , but for the sheer performance , if I had to speculate the MSI GE76 or possibly the Razer Blade laptops might have a higher quality feel , but then you need to add an extra 1000 euro to the purchase price :)
It is an absolute monster of a laptop mate. I'm a big fan of it already.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So, i just did a new firestrike test after reading some documentation
(performance mode and no undervolting or anything else)

there is the result :

So, it's definitively the "combined score" that puch me "down", and i can't find why.
But, it's not the ram, look like the ram speed don't affect the process ...
(assuming the doc from 3dmark is good :D)

anyway, @FerrariVie, i think you can just delete all the other score i had with my previous test, to win some "space" in your table
it look like they remain steady since sometime

FerrariVie

Super Star
So, i just did a new firestrike test after reading some documentation
(performance mode and no undervolting or anything else)

there is the result :

So, it's definitively the "combined score" that puch me "down", and i can't find why.
But, it's not the ram, look like the ram speed don't affect the process ...
(assuming the doc from 3dmark is good :D)

anyway, @FerrariVie, i think you can just delete all the other score i had with my previous test, to win some "space" in your table
it look like they remain steady since sometime
Updated it and removed 2 previous similar results (kept first one with optimus and no tweaks just for comparison reasons).

By the way, have you ever heard about Intel Performance Maximizer? Came across an article about it today and it seems that your CPU is compatible, so just interested in knowing from a real user if it is any good as I'm thinking about using it on my work desktop.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hey,

Yeah, i just saw it yesterday, but i don't think i'll use it.
Because, to be honest, except for the firestrike test (where i use the "performance" mode), i only use the "entertainment" mode.
I mean, i already have all the raw power i could wish for, so ...

But what's amazing to see is, what is needed to do for intel to compete with amd ...

And here is a question that bother me from some time, what intel cpu match amd cpu ?
(like the i5 with the 5600, i suppose the i9 should compete with the 5900 and the i7 with the 5800 ?
so, maybe it's pointless to try to compete with the 5900 for me ^^)

Anyway, it was really entertaining to discuss about this and how a software work on the inside, thank you all for this discussion ^^

Last edited:
Hey folks, Merry Christmas.
I did a 3DMark test today with just a tweak to TGP and Dynamic Boost. A decent score, but I see there are better scores out there for lower spec cards. Impressive! Anyway, here is my score. Thanks for any feedback :)