Really good video on power vs cooling of current and upcoming parts

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Another anti-AIO vid from Linus using a bench to do all the testing 😩 I don't think he's against it, per say, I believe he may be in the pocket of others.

Really frustrating IMO as it's just plain wrong. 99% of users will be in a case where the AIO makes all the sense in the world. An air cooler will typically perform better than an AIO due to how it works, in an open bench, when the radiator surface area is the same. This isn't news and isn't an argument that needs made.

I would have far more respect if he actually did the tests in a typical case (or a few different options) to show where an AIO is a must vs where it makes minimal improvements (Good airflow cases).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Another anti-AIO vid from Linus using a bench to do all the testing I don't think he's against it, per say, I believe he may be in the pocket of others.

Really frustrating IMO as it's just plain wrong. 99% of users will be in a case where the AIO makes all the sense in the world. An air cooler will typically perform better than an AIO due to how it works, in an open bench, when the radiator surface area is the same. This isn't news and isn't an argument that needs made.

I would have far more respect if he actually did the tests in a typical case (or a few different options) to show where an AIO is a must vs where it makes minimal improvements (Good airflow cases).
Yeah, I paid no attention to that, apologies, should have mentioned that

I personally always advocate for watercooling. In the conclusion he mentions that this is a BETA product that isn't ready for release anyway, and that the original version of this cooler utterly failed worse than watercoolers (240mm) and cost $170ish which is way over what a premium 240mm AIO would cost anyway. So it's pretty certain that this one is going to cost significantly more with the extra materials including more premium copper plate, aside from the extensive R&D costs.

But anyone knows this CPU requires a 360mm Rad at any rate, and it has to be premium also, so the test wasn't valid in the first instance. They do mention they tested with 360mm but that should have been what they used for comparative results, not a 240mm.

I was literally just referring to the conclusion where he went on a rant of what it's taking to cool an average system these days, and the rediculous power requirements of CPUs and GPUs in the current and next gens.

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What I think is interesting is the technology here. The IceGiant cooler is sort of halfway between an air cooler and a liquid cooler: kind of like heat pipes on steroids with a separate radiator.

What's also interesting is the fact that, while AIOs clearly do have an advantage, it's not an enormous one. They're right up against the thermal limits. And it isn't going to be long before the top-end chips are not capable of running at full capacity without throttling, even with the best coolers. That's a pretty ridiculous situation to be in. I'm really interested to see how both the CPU and cooling industries handle this in the next few years.

(I'll admit I'm a fan of air-cooling, but that's partly on aesthetic grounds, and also on the grounds of liking to be able to fix anything that goes wrong with my cooler.)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What I think is interesting is the technology here. The IceGiant cooler is sort of halfway between an air cooler and a liquid cooler: kind of like heat pipes on steroids with a separate radiator.

What's also interesting is the fact that, while AIOs clearly do have an advantage, it's not an enormous one. They're right up against the thermal limits. And it isn't going to be long before the top-end chips are not capable of running at full capacity without throttling, even with the best coolers. That's a pretty ridiculous situation to be in. I'm really interested to see how both the CPU and cooling industries handle this in the next few years.

(I'll admit I'm a fan of air-cooling, but that's partly on aesthetic grounds, and also on the grounds of liking to be able to fix anything that goes wrong with my cooler.)
It's definitely a step in the right direction, but it's the initial cost until it hits more widespread adoption, this is still gonna be very niche and as such, extremely expensive unfortunately as with any new technology.

If they can get this performance as with this new BETA version into mass adoption, then we've got no moving parts, so failure links are minimised, hopefully much lower cost in the longer term as well.

I just don't see how CPU and GPU manufacturers can keep pushing the power boundary as they currently are. I personally think that governments will step in.

If you look at the current heat wave across all of Europe, this is unfortunately going to be very much the norm and in fact it will be far worse than this if we collectively (at a governmental legislative level) don't step in and mandate some ceilings for businesses and products to adhere to, with pretty steep penalties incurred should those limits be breached.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's definitely a step in the right direction, but it's the initial cost until it hits more widespread adoption, this is still gonna be very niche and as such, extremely expensive unfortunately as with any new technology.

If they can get this performance as with this new BETA version into mass adoption, then we've got no moving parts, so failure links are minimised, hopefully much lower cost in the longer term as well.

I just don't see how CPU and GPU manufacturers can keep pushing the power boundary as they currently are. I personally think that governments will step in.

If you look at the current heat wave across all of Europe, this is unfortunately going to be very much the norm and in fact it will be far worse than this if we collectively (at a governmental legislative level) don't step in and mandate some ceilings for businesses and products to adhere to, with pretty steep penalties incurred should those limits be breached.
Yeah, absolutely. The interesting thing is that efficiency is being achieved with modern technology. Look, for example, at the data centre industry, where ARM is taking off because it's efficient, and efficiency means money saved. It's in the smaller scale, and especially in gaming, where absolute upper-edge performance is most valued that the technology is getting stupid. (Because most gamers/small-scale content creators don't know or don't care about the energy costs, I guess.)

I personally can't see the political will for regulating it. We can only hope, I suppose...

And yeah, the Ice Giant is interesting to me because it's really cool technology, not because it's the solution to power/temperature woes...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think the case manufacturers should get their hat in the ring with this. The heat exchange in an air cooler is far (FAR) better than an AIO. If the heat exchanger and extraction system could be either directed as part of the roof exhaust, or the side panel exhaust, then I think there could be some serious improvements in temperatures across the board.

The trouble is that the board can't take the weight of a really large cooler on it, it needs to be mounted to the case. This typically requires a flexible tube design which won't work with a vacuum exchange. This would need the case manufacturers to allow a properly designed and integrated exchange system to attach to the coolers.

It would be massively complex (imagine trying to take the panel off haha), but absolutely radical IMO. An entire panel being part of the exchange would offer a lot of surface area to cool.

With that being said..... the same could be done for watercooling, with the panel being the radiator. The trouble is that the limitation with AIOs, as is being seen, isn't the radiators/fans.... it's the efficiency of the heat exchange (hence why full watercooled units perform better at extreme CPU/GPU temps)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Why not just make the whole side panel a radiator instead of glass/plastic/metal?

Or attach a household water inlet to the liquid intake, and the output to the boiler - would have cold water coming in to cool the PC and warm water going out to warm the house in winter?

(they don't call me 'Blue Sky Tony' for nothing) ;)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Or attach a household water inlet to the liquid intake, and the output to the boiler - would have cold water coming in to cool the PC and warm water going out to warm the house in winter?

(they don't call me 'Blue Sky Tony' for nothing) ;)
I was out flying my drone the other day, and it was getting a bit warm, so I just bought the drone to a hover at about 8 feet and went and stood under it, beautiful cool draught....