Realtek Audio Manager / Control Panel missing on new PC

andmil72

I have a brand new Intel i7 / ASUS® ROG STRIX Z590 Compact PC with Win11. I'm having trouble getting the sound setup correctly for headphones or speakers because unlike my other PCS machines the Realtek Audio Manager application is missing. Device manager shows Realtek Drivers etc but there is no way of managing input & output levels apart from the uselessly limited options in Windows 11. How can I install the Realtek Audio manager application? Looking online I can see that this is a well known issue but there are many different advice options given and I would prefer to get advice here.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a brand new Intel i7 / ASUS® ROG STRIX Z590 Compact PC with Win11. I'm having trouble getting the sound setup correctly for headphones or speakers because unlike my other PCS machines the Realtek Audio Manager application is missing. Device manager shows Realtek Drivers etc but there is no way of managing input & output levels apart from the uselessly limited options in Windows 11. How can I install the Realtek Audio manager application? Looking online I can see that this is a well known issue but there are many different advice options given and I would prefer to get advice here.
Hiya, can you post your full specs from the order page please?

Could you also upload a screenshot of your windows update page and your device manager?

andmil72

Here is the PC spec. Other stuff to follow.

Case
FRACTAL DESIGN NODE 304 Mini ITX Case
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-11700KF (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z590-I GAMING WIFI (Mini-ITX, LGA1200, USB 3.2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 50 RGB Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™

andmil72

Device and System Info

Attachments

• Device-Manager.jpg
    Device-Manager.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 262
  • System Details.jpg
    System Details.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Windows Update.jpg
    Windows Update.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 257

andmil72

Any further ideas? I'm not happy because basically this PC is useless as an MMO gaming PC - because I can't control the Mic or Sound output settings enough. I'm getting close to returning it to PCS as "not fit for purpose". Example Windows Mic settings turned up to 200%. Discord Output settings turned up to 200%. Other players adjust their Discord settings to increase my sound. They can JUST hear me when there is no other noise. The old PC with the Realtek sound manager worked fine with all settings at or close to defaults. Speaker/Headphone sound not quite as bad as Mic but still poor compared to the previous.

Articles I see on the internet suggest (1) uninstalling sound drivers and letting Windows update re-install. (2) uninstalling sound drivers and specifically installing new realtek drivers from a "safe source". Realtek's own website has x64 Win10 drivers but nothing specifically stating Win11 drivers. Where is a safe source to get new Realtek software/drivers for Win11?

andmil72

I think the Realtek software from ASUS will include the Realtek Audio Console (might be a different link depending on your exact MOBO)- https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download

It should then be available as an app (rather than in the Windows control panel / settings)
Thanks for the link. But still bad news. I downloaded that package and ran the install. Yes, I now have the Realtek Audio Control app, and that allowed me to add +30db to my output on the Microphone. Even so, when I run the audio test - the microphone (set at +100% plus the extra 30db) it only delivers 6% of possible sound when I SHOUT and only 1% of possible sound when I speak normally. I have tried both front and rear jacks. I have tried 3 different headsets. The result is the same in each case. So - my assumption has to be that the motherboard is faulty and the sound components are not functioning correctly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the link. But still bad news. I downloaded that package and ran the install. Yes, I now have the Realtek Audio Control app, and that allowed me to add +30db to my output on the Microphone. Even so, when I run the audio test - the microphone (set at +100% plus the extra 30db) it only delivers 6% of possible sound when I SHOUT and only 1% of possible sound when I speak normally. I have tried both front and rear jacks. I have tried 3 different headsets. The result is the same in each case. So - my assumption has to be that the motherboard is faulty and the sound components are not functioning correctly.

Did you download that one or the one for your motherboard? You can't just apply any driver for any board as your board will likely have different chipsets. You have to install the correct packages for your board.

But tbh I'm confused with your setup anyway, what mic and headset are you using?

Can you upload as screenshot of your optional updates?

Can you also upload a picture of where the headset and mic are plugged into?

Last edited:

andmil72

Yes it was the exact audio driver package for my motherboard, and everything works fine after installing except for the continuing microphone problem. I have 3 headsets (photo of one attached). They are all similar - one is Creative, one is Microsoft, one is some Chinese version of the same thing, all with standard jacks. The PC case has Jack sockets at the side of front panel and at the back direct into motherboard. Note I have another PCS machine using exactly the same case and a similar setup, with no problems at all. Edit: There are NO outstanding optional Windows updates.

Anyway I have raised an RMA as every step here just points to a problem with the board.

Attachments

• Casepic1.jpg
    Casepic1.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Casepic2.jpg
    Casepic2.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Headset1.jpg
    Headset1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 184

Alltruism

Bronze Level Poster
Have you got Armoury Crate installed? That has some options for the "AI Noise Cancellation" on your motherboard, you may be able to turn it off there if it's on.
Or if you have something like NVIDIA Broadcast running, try turning off noise reduction options in that

andmil72

No I don't have Armoury Crate app installed. Although I do seem to have armoury crate lite service running, but no app to adjust anything.

It's as stated above - All the sound OUT - ie speakers or headphones - works just fine and can be adjusted with the Realtek, Sonic, Windows interfaces, and further adjusted by apps like Discord.

But the Sound IN - ie the microphone simply does not work properly via any controls that I've been able to manipulate on any of the panels or apps.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just so that I know its working the old fashioned way:

Plug in the headset using the line out (green) & the mic in (pink)
Click Start
Type Control Panel
Click on Control Panel
Double Click on "Sound" within control panel
Click on "Recording" tab
Look for your Microphone (hopefully the correct one is ticked, if not, right click on the correct interface and select "Set as default" for both options)
Click on the item then click "Properties"
Click "Levels", make sure array is at 100 & adjust boost as you see fit
Click "Apply"
Click "Listen"
Tick "Listen to this device"
Click the dropdown and select the output that your headset is connected to
Click "Apply"
Talk and see if you can hear yourself in the headset through the speakers.

If all is OK, untick "Listen to this device" click "Apply" and then click OK.

If none of that helps, can you take a screenshot of what is showing under the "Recording" tab? Would be curious to see what the device list is like.

andmil72

Yes - done all that. No sound comes to headphones (or speakers) when talking into microphone when doing listen to this device. One point: re your "set as default" - all those were greyed out and could not be ticked. However it was the right microphone and it had recognised that it was plugged into the front Jack.

Anyway - machine is being returned day after tomorrow.

Attachments

• audio-screenshots.jpg
    audio-screenshots.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 250

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yes - done all that. No sound comes to headphones (or speakers) when talking into microphone when doing listen to this device. One point: re your "set as default" - all those were greyed out and could not be ticked. However it was the right microphone and it had recognised that it was plugged into the front Jack.

Anyway - machine is being returned day after tomorrow.

That's the USB audio that you've selected, rather than the line in MIC audio? I think you should investigate this further as I definitely think there's a simple solution to this.

andmil72

There is no option for "line in" Microphone. The "Realtek USB Audio" seems to be the only option and it appears to include jacks not just USB sockets. It recognises that I am plugging a mic into a jack socket and gives a notification so it knows I'm using a Jack rather than a USB port. It also recognises that I'm using the jack socket for the headphones (or speakers). And as stated previously all sound OUT ie headphones or speakers is 100% fine and fully adjustable.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There is no option for "line in" Microphone. The "Realtek USB Audio" seems to be the only option and it appears to include jacks not just USB sockets. It recognises that I am plugging a mic into a jack socket and gives a notification so it knows I'm using a Jack rather than a USB port. It also recognises that I'm using the jack socket for the headphones (or speakers). And as stated previously all sound OUT ie headphones or speakers is 100% fine and fully adjustable.

When you disconnect just the microphone, does the USB icon grey out? If you right click and show disconnected & disabled devices, is there anything greyed out that could be considered the microphone?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in the device manager?

I have a feeling that the audio drivers aren't installed/configured correctly. Years ago I had a similar problem with a higher end motherboard due to having far better configuration options via the 5.1 offerings on the ports. It meant that the ports themselves needed to be correctly identified/configured through the app. Once they were, I was then given further options through the sound configuration.

andmil72

Device manager is clear of any !marks. See Screenshot below - when I unplug the microphone from the jack socket it knows it has gone and greys out the realtek Mic at the top. Apart from a hardware fault on the motherboard which still seems the most likely, the only thing I can think of is some conflict with one of the other multimedia drivers like nVidia. But I have pretty much exactly the same setup on two other PCs with Asus motherboards and with no conflicts. The only difference is that they are Win10 not Win11.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06 May. 09 16.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 May. 09 16.40.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 290

barlew

Godlike
Do you know anyone that could lend you a decent USB headset to test this? Analogue jacks for headsets are pretty obsolete these days tbh.