Recoil 15" 3080 temps

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all, received my laptop (specs below) on Saturday and have been playing around with some games on it. Playing Witcher 3 on Ultra settings it runs like a dream but have been monitoring temps with HWMonitor and Afterburner and it's averaging around 82-87'c on the CPU (occasional spikes up 96'c) and GPU averaging around 80-85'c.

Now I knew the laptop would run fairly hot given the beefy CPU and GPU but do these temps sound above the 'norm' (whatever that is!) or about right given the chassis and hardware in it? Fans are going pretty strong but haven't worked out where or how to change them or what settings I should have on them. Laptop is flat on a wooden desk. Happy to upload any performance/temp data if that would help! Many thanks, Mark

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: 15.6" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.4GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 - 16.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryRecoil Series Integrated 94WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguagePER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office SoftwareMicrosoft® Office Home & Student 2019 (1 Digital License)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Any intel laptop would be expected to apply an undervolt to optimise temperatures.

Intel themselves say the chip are “designed” to thermal throttle which is just another way of saying “we can’t get them cool”.

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Might be worth investing in a good quality cooling pad to see if that helps your cause:

Thanks @SpyderTracks and @AgentCooper, appreciate your help. Do the temps sound too high to you? Also is there a simple guide to undervolting my CPU? Slightly nervous of messing it up and breaking the laptop! Will look into cooling pads though as well. Also is there a simple guide to fan control as I’ve no idea if my fan settings are correct or on say, an office/work setting! Thanks again

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks @SpyderTracks and @AgentCooper, appreciate your help. Do the temps sound too high to you? Also is there a simple guide to undervolting my CPU? Slightly nervous of messing it up and breaking the laptop! Will look into cooling pads though as well. Also is there a simple guide to fan control as I’ve no idea if my fan settings are correct or on say, an office/work setting! Thanks again
as said, those temps are actually quite good, Intel deems 100c as normal.

Undervolting is not a constant method, it all depends on the physical properties of the CPU you have which will be different from any other. General rule of thumb is start from about -50mV AMD work down in 10mv steps until you got instability and then roll back to the previous stable.

There are lots of videos on youtube

Fans are purely for what you’re looking for, there is no right and wrong unless it starts thermal throttling of course. It’s a balance of heat vs noise, but that’s different for everyone.

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all, I've been testing the laptop and have some real worries about it. On Chivalry II on Ultra settings the CPU temp is constantly around 89'c-92'c...sometimes peaking at 95'c. On Witcher 3 on Ultra it's the same. I've tried undervolting by a modest -50 and keep getting BSOD...reckon I should ask for an RMA?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, I've been testing the laptop and have some real worries about it. On Chivalry II on Ultra settings the CPU temp is constantly around 89'c-92'c...sometimes peaking at 95'c. On Witcher 3 on Ultra it's the same. I've tried undervolting by a modest -50 and keep getting BSOD...reckon I should ask for an RMA?
As said, those temps are completely normal on Intel, they're actually pretty good.

If you're getting a BSOD at -50mV, I'd suggest something is being done incorrectly. What are you using to apply the undervolt?

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah it crashes so quickly. Using Throttlestop to undervolt. Sometimes BSOD and sometimes just freezes.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah it crashes so quickly. Using Throttlestop to undervolt. Sometimes BSOD and sometimes just freezes
Sorry to ask but are you sure you’re undervolting and not overvolting? It could just be a really poor piece of silicon.

Try a -10mv increment and work from there. If that’s BSODding it’s because something isn’t being set right.

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Ok so this is embarrassing but was setting the slider to -50 but now setting the slider to say 40 the other way gives me no temps beyond 80?! Am I just being a dumbass?!

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Getting lots of red text next to the greyed out ‘Limits’ box saying, in red, ‘Power’ and ‘Prochot 95’c’ though?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Getting lots of red text next to the greyed out ‘Limits’ box saying, in red, ‘Power’ and ‘Prochot 95’c’ though?
Don't just randomly change values without knowing what you're doing, you can instantly fry the CPU and motherboard.

Watch some videos on how to use throttlestop.

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry @SpyderTracks, I did try and follow the online guides. I thought moving the slider to the left (I.e to a minus position would be undervolting) rather than to the right which is what I’m now doing which to me would assume an overvolt?!

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
I remember when these temps started to become the norm (also around the time the industry started calling them notebooks instead of laptops in a bid to prevent people using them on their laps :) ) and it was a very bitter pill to swallow when you spend your whole IT life trying to keep things as close to 60/70 as possible.

Undervolting and overvolting can lead to their own issues, e.g. undervolting can crash because it doesn't have what it needs and overvolting can reduce the temps if it hits its own threshold early and 'knows' it's going to crash, similar to a CPU which knows it is going to overheat and locks itself at 800MHz.

It is likely the figures for the temps are correct, but a cooling pad is usually beneficial for gaming and can knock a few degrees off and prevent the times it needs to underclock.

Just to help provide some insight :)

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all, thanks for your help so far. I have been playing around with the undervolting and would it be normal that I can't undervolt more than around -60mV on CPU core and cache (same undervolt) before the laptop either freezes, BSoDs or restarts? This is what I've been doing to test it:

Load up HWMonitor > load up Throttlestop and set to the profile where I am undervolting > set fans to turbo in control centre and then load up Prime95 and do a Torture Test.

Usually get to around 4 mins in and it crashes...temps around 88-96'c. Appreciate all CPUs are different and probably undervolt differently but seemed a bit low of an undervolt to crash? I've attached some screenshots of my settings in case I haven't followed online tutorials correctly! I can do some more mid-Prime95 test if helpful?

many thanks,

Dutchos

2021-08-15 (1).png
2021-08-15 (2).png
2021-08-15 (3).png
2021-08-15 (4).png
2021-08-15 (5).png

Dutchos

Bronze Level Poster
Polite bump! Happy to post SS of other settings if helpful or post to another forum etc. Just seems a bit odd I can't undervolt beyond c. -50mV without freezes/crashes etc. And makes me wonder if I have something set up in ThrottleStop incorrectly or outside that app in say the power settings etc?