Recoil 17.3" Questions and Issues [Resolved!]

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Hi my laptop has arrived from PCS, Firstly lovely packing by the people at PCS and great job performed by the builder.

I have noticed in the Welcome pack there is some what look to be 3mm 1.5mm/1.0mm thermal pads i take it this is for the M.2.
There is also a screw that has what seems to be two nuts on either end not sure what that is for so hence my question.

SPEC
Chassis & Display Recoil Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-11400 (2.6GHz) 12MB Cache Memory
(RAM) 4GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive 128GB ADATA SX6000 LITE M.2 2280 (1800 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 2 x 280W AC Adaptor Power Cable 2 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery Recoil Series Detachable 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (97WH)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card 2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Atlas & Super X-Fi
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options 2 x THUNDERBOLT 4 + 1 x USB 3.2 (TYPE C) + 3 x USB 3.2

Last edited:

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Ok i have an interesting one here.
So if all 4 Slots in the laptop are populated the system will not boot, it will just stay on a blank screen with just RGB and fans working.

Now i am trying to get the system to boot with (hma41gs6afr8n-tf) Hynix 8GB DDR4 2133 MHz all 4 x 8GB sticks are matched (Same year same model).

Now if i have 2 slots under the keyboard populated it will boot without issues, if i have 2 slots near the M.2 ssd populated it will boot without issues. If i have 2 slots under the keyboard populated and a single slot populated near the M.2 it will boot (this is the one closest to the mainboard), however as soon as i place in the 4th stick it will refuse to boot.

I have done a CMOS reset and this issue still occurs.

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
Stupid question but have you tried 2 in but then swapping one out to put next one in - to see if the issue is one particular RAM stick.

The other suggestion to try is to put two in - run Memtest - check for errors etc.

Then remove and try other two - run Memtest.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Stupid question but have you tried 2 in but then swapping one out to put next one in - to see if the issue is one particular RAM stick.

The other suggestion to try is to put two in - run Memtest - check for errors etc.

Then remove and try other two - run Memtest.

Right so i have done the following.

If i place ram in the following order it boots

• Slots 2+4 (Works)
  • Slots 1+3 (Works)
  • Slots 2+4+1 (Works)
It doesn't matter if i place in the 4GB Stick from the order in with one 8GB stick it will boot fine, i have rotated all sticks and it works fine till the 4th slot is filled then it will just display a blank screen.

I did get it to boot past the POST screen but then Windows BSOD'd with ACPI.sys and some other BSODS such as System Service Exception and System Thread Exception Not Handled. But then it stopped posting again.

Will try a memtest tomorrow as my parents are taking the Michael with the fan noise and i don't want to keep them up all night.

The strangest thing is its the set of Ram out my GT72-6QD which will still boot without issues with all 4 sticks in, just need to remove the MXM card on the GT72-6QD for it to use iGPU (MXM Shorting issue).

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
So after some deciding, knowing the issue is not a Hardware fault with the laptop and the fact that the ram i am using is like 5 years old, yet the system runs super stable with just 2 sticks in, i am putting it down to timings of the old ram sticks.

However when i have time i will be running Mem-Test on the system. Will keep everyone updated.

Macco26

Expert
I've just received info that Clevo has released new BIOS with new µCode for RKL-S CPUs.
Documented changes for the new microcode available at Anandtech.

I don't know when that will be implemented/available at PCS. But sit tight and wait, especially if running 11th gen CPU with that machine.

Last edited:

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Only talks about Memory Latency and not Memory Compatibility.

The timings on my DDR4 2133mhz sticks are
Code:
1066 MHz    16-15-15-36  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 50-278-171-118-6-4-6-23  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
1066 MHz    15-15-15-36  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 50-278-171-118-6-4-6-23  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
1037 MHz    14-14-14-35  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 49-270-166-115-6-4-6-22  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
962 MHz    13-13-13-32  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 45-251-155-106-6-4-6-21  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
888 MHz    12-12-12-30  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 42-232-143-98-5-4-6-19  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
814 MHz    11-11-11-27  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 38-212-131-90-5-4-5-18  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)
666 MHz    9-9-9-22  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 31-174-107-74-4-3-4-14  (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)

But will be upgrading ram soon for 2x 16GB sticks to make my 32GB.
As for BIOS updates how does PCS release them as looking at the T&C's we aren't allowed to flash bios unless given permission to do so.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've just received info that Clevo has released new BIOS with new µCode for RKL-S CPUs.
Documented changes for the new microcode available at Anandtech.

I don't know when that will be implemented/available at PCS. But sit tight and wait, especially if running 11th gen CPU with that machine.
PCS should know about it though so worth calling and asking.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
PCS should know about it though so worth calling and asking.
I have sent a ticket in with a few questions with BIOS being one of them.

System is running like a dream though. 130-144fps on COD:Warzone maxed out @ 1080p much better then the 65fps i used to get on my Pascal GTX 1060

Edit: Where does one post issues with Website, as i can't get my order details just forwards me to Quotes when i click show.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks bud. Is Auto GPU overclocking via Nvidia's GFE permitted?

Overclocking the GPU will void your warranty.
Right just double checking. GPU Boost is doing well any ways hitting 1985mhz on core on its own. Ambi still OK to use MSI Afterburner to monitor temps so I can use the OSD feature with RTSS?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the information, i would of undervolted however due to XTU and even Throttlestop showing that section greyed out (Thank you Plundervolt) it only left TPL lowering on either P1 or P2 available as i noticed when running some benchmarks HWInfo was reporting 150+w on CPU which is way to much in my eyes and ears.

Edit: the ram issue was timings, on my old laptop the ram sticks was running 16-15-15-36 CR 2T, whilst on this laptop its running 15-15-15-36 CR 1T.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Update about BIOS question, i have been told that we have to email them to see if there is a new Bios for the system and if there is they will give us the the files and instructions on how to flash the bios.

Also Tech Support has been very polite and patient with me, they have also answered my questions too.